SASS Wire Forum

I’d Like to Ban…

My wife and I agree on this: The Rogers and Hammerstein tune "My Favorite Things" needs to quit being played as a Christmas song.  It is not.

21 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

My wife and I agree on this: The Rogers and Hammerstein tune "My Favorite Things" needs to quit being played as a Christmas song.  It is not.

Companies and merchandisers have figured "My Favorite Things" easily works for the materialism that Christmas has sadly become and works perfectly for selling crap.

7 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

…the song “Jingle Bell Rock”. Seems like no matter when I go, all the grocery, hardware, drug stores etc are playing it. Enough already!

Ok, my seasonal rant is over. Now back to your regular programming. :D

Agree. About 10 or 12 years ago a local radio station that plays nothing but Christmas music from Thanksgiving to Christmas actually changed their programming to include lots of most excellent Christmas music I had never heard on the radio before. That was a very enjoyable Christmas radio/music season for once. Sadly I have not ever heard it again. I'm sure someone complained  And they went back to their old programming of the same 7 overplayed, overused songs for Christmas.

If I want Christmas music I'll put in a CD other than that it's talk radio or silence and silence is rapidly becoming my most favorite sound ever.

The one I hate the most is ,  "This Christmas I gave you my heart..... etc etc!!!" I can't turn it off fast enough!:angry:

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The one I hate the most is ,  "This Christmas I gave you my heart..... etc etc!!!" I can't turn it off fast enough!:angry:

Lol! Hahahahahahahahahaha! Agree 1000%! :D

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The ones I dislike (hate):

Grandma got run over by a Reindeer

I'll have Blue Christmas without you

..........Widder

I agree with you on that Ray Stevens classic.  Way overplayed.

Disagree about Blue Christmas.  I guess it depends on what version you hear.:D

I don't want to ban anything.

It is a small jump from wanting to fervently ban X,  to wanting to fervently ban my guns.

Don't like the tune?  Turn off the radio.
Don't like the TV evangelist with the elephant ears?  Change the channel.

Don't like my guns?  Mind your own business.

Conspicuous Consumption season will be done in three more days, then we will be on to the Romantic Consumption season that culminates on 2/14.
The music will change, but the marketing will remain the same.

11 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

…the song “Jingle Bell Rock”. Seems like no matter when I go, all the grocery, hardware, drug stores etc are playing it. Enough already!

When I was still participating in Square Dancing Jingle Bell Rock was one of my favorite round dances between tips.  

I use Google Home for our Christmas music.  I just say, hey Google, play Perry Como's Christmas album or Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra etc.  If there is a particular song that I don't like, I just say, hey Google, next.

11 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

But...right now is when it should be played!!! Only 3 days left!!!

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Agree. About 10 or 12 years ago a local radio station that plays nothing but Christmas music from Thanksgiving to Christmas actually changed their programming to include lots of most excellent Christmas music I had never heard on the radio before. That was a very enjoyable Christmas radio/music season for once. Sadly I have not ever heard it again. I'm sure someone complained  And they went back to their old programming of the same 7 overplayed, overused songs for Christmas.

If I want Christmas music I'll put in a CD other than that it's talk radio or silence and silence is rapidly becoming my most favorite sound ever.

The Sing Off Christmas is excellent!

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I quite like the Coltrane version of this tune.

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I agree with you on that Ray Stevens classic.  Way overplayed.

Disagree about Blue Christmas.  I guess it depends on what version you hear.:D

Thank you!

There is only one Christmas song that I truly dislike. I do not know the name of it and don’t want to know the name of it. I started to search for it so I could post it but I don’t even want to find it so it will get stuck in my head. 
It’s an instrumental song that came out on the early 70’s. It reminds me of fake Christmas in a city with silver trees and white ornaments and that gawd awful messed up sugar candy that grates your teeth and has no flavor and fake Santa Clauses dressed in gold suits and…

I’m ranting, aren’t I? Never mind…

I just hate that freakin song…

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Well, this tongue in cheek thread has taken a nasty turn. 

Well, there's always someone who takes things a little too seriously. But I get what you and others are saying. I truly enjoy most Christmas music, but I lean toward the traditional and standards (with the notable exceptions of Gary Hoey). I could use a lot less of the modern stuff.

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Well, this tongue in cheek thread has taken a nasty turn. 

This crowd is like that.  Start a thread as a farce and it turns serious.  Start a serious thread and it turns whimsical.

Tough crowd to read sometimes.

19 minutes ago, DocWard said:

. I truly enjoy most Christmas music, but I lean toward the traditional and standards (with the notable exceptions of Gary Hoey). I could use a lot less of the modern stuff.

My wife had on an Amazon stream of Christmas Music.  Mostly crooners to modern.  We clicked past most of the Motown, Hip-hop and such.

(As I was typing this the YouTube fireplace with soothing Christmas Guitar video had 12 Days of Christmas going.  Without any coordinating we both at the exact same time, in the exact same tone of voice, and the same hand gestures said "Whack!" as if we were hitting a record player that was stuck.  We laughed until we hurt.)

On 12/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Its perfect for a parody version, something like,

Last Christmas I had to fart. The very next day the smell went away.

This year, I've bought plenty of beans and promise you'll smell something special.

Archived