SASS Wire Forum

Christmas breakfast ideas needed

Trigger Mike

We usually have breakfast pizza or casserole but my better half and I want something different to shake up the routine but still be special, super easy for her and fast.  

We still have 4 children in the house so we have picky eaters still so no onions or bell peppers etc.  I'm picky too.  Also don't want something too sweet as I do have diabetes.   My wife's Dr says she does too but once the med's he gave her put her in the hospital she refuses to take anything or do anything different.   Drives me nuts.   

Any ideas involving eggs, bacon or sausage,  grits or potatoes is welcome. 

cook up the sausage and bacon.  Slice the taters (or cut into small cubes) and cook (i prefer to fry in some of the bacon grease).  Scramble a bunch of eggs.  Add all of that with some grated cheese into flour tortillas and enjoy.  Add salsa, if you like salsa.  

Mama would dice up a ham steak, then scramble up about a dozen eggs in a cast iron skillet, with the diced ham mixed in with it. You ended up with your ham and eggs all together. Very quick, very easy. That was Christmas morning breakfast as far back as I can remember. She'd also warm up a package of cinnamon buns, but if sweets are bad for you you might want to leave that off.

They wouldn't let us open presents until we had had breakfast, so breakfast had to be quick to make.

One of my friends always gets excited this time of year.    Eggnog is available.    Has recipe for eggnog pancakes   Gw

Belgian Waffles and Maple Bacon.

I always had sugar free syrup for her as she is diabetic.

French Toast with bacon, sausage, and hash browns or country fries.

Scrambled Eggs with bacon, sausage, and hash browns or country fries.

Breakfast Burritos (don't have to use chorizo - bake some potatoes the night before so they will be cool.  Cook your sausage up, remove to drain, grate the potatoes on the coarse side of your box grater (the skin will mostly not go through the grater),  add to the pan with the sausage grease, season with salt and pepper.  Whisk up however many eggs you think you need with a splash of milk or cream and salt & pepper, turn the potatoes, then add the eggs over the potatoes.  Add some cheese if you like.  Serve in warm flour tortillas.  Those who want can add salsa. Bacon and sausage on the side, or if people want they can put them in the burrito.

Another thing to think on is Eggs Benedict.  Or a cheaters version, anyway.  Make your Hollandaise a day ahead, cook the meat ahead of time, toast the bread in the oven and reheat the meat at the same time, do the eggs sunny side up or over easy rather than poached, or even scrambled, easier for a crowd than poached I think.  

And, of course, the classic English Christmas Breakfast of
 Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Hillbilly Breakfast Bake:

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 40 Minutes

Total Time: 55 Minutes

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

• 1 32 oz. bag frozen tater tots
  • 3 cups chopped ham (fully cooked - turkey sausage works great too!)
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 8oz bag of shredded cheese (any flavor)

Instructions:

1. Spread tater tots in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish
  2. Layer meat evenly across the top of the tater tots
  3. Cover the meat and potatoes with a thin layer of shredded cheese (about half of the bag)
  4. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl then spread evenly over the dish
  5. Top it off with remainder of the shredded cheese (and a little salt and pepper to season)
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40-45 minutes (or until fully cooked)

My dietician taught me this breakfast.  It's simple and a little different, high in protein, low carb and tasty.

Mini "soufflés"

Night before, saute sliced baby Portabella mushrooms, green onion sliced into small rings and some diced ham until the mushrooms are cooked down.

Next morning:

Preheat your oven to 350.

Line a cupcake pan with parchment paper cups for as many "soufflés" as you will be making.  Make sure the cups are tall and extend above the level of the cupcake pan.

In the bottom of each paper cup, put in a tablespoon of the ham mixture and a table spoon of your favorite grated cheese.

In a small bowl (I use a glass measuring cup), whisk together 1 large egg and a tablespoon of milk/cream until thoroughly combined

Pour the egg mixture into one of the prepared baking cups.  Repeat the egg process until you have all the cups filled.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  After 30 minutes, you will need to monitor the baking process to ensure you don't overcook the eggs.  When the tops are lightly browned, they are fully cooked.

Serve immediately.

The reason for the tall parchment cups is the egg mixture will expand when it's baking and rise well above the top of the cupcake pan.  If you don't have the tall cups to contain the mixture, you will end up with quite a mess to clean up.

Try this again. @#%#$ confuser. These are omelet muffins. I've made them many time and they are great. Even good warmed over. I like them best with a good salsa.

JHC

https://www.facebook.com/tiphero/videos/10154232163383761/

French toast using Kings Hawiian bread. Add some vanilla extract to the egg drench and sprinkle with cinnamon while in the griddle.

Best French toast ever

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA ALL

If you are a type 2 diabetic, you cannot have carbs, or sugar. Period!!!

That includes: bread/biscuits, cereal, corn, wheat, gluten, syrup, fruit, potatoes, rice, raisins, pancakes, gravy, cow butter, peanuts (peanuts are not a "nut", they are a legume), etc. You count carbs...NOT calories. 

Eggs, bacon, or sausage, are okay....Grits, and/or potatoes, are NOT okay. Pizza is NOT okay. Too many carbs. 

Cow's milk contains Casin, which is a sugar. You will have to switch to almond milk, if you want a milk-type drink. Sorry. No cow's milk. Stay away from soy-milk. Also, use either Stevia, or Monk-fruit, to sweeten anything, never sugar, and never aspartame....never!!!

You can eat goat cheese, but not cow cheese.  

You can have protein, like beef, pork, fish, lamb, turkey, chicken, quail, salmon, sardines, seafood, sausage, bacon, etc. You can have vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, anything low on the glycemic index. 

I reversed my type 2 diabetes, by changing my food plan, and I no longer take any type 2 meds. As long as I stay on the food plan, it is reversed. 

If you have type 2 diabetes, you have no choice, unless you want to risk blindness, or amputation. You can no longer have any food just willy-nilly.

It is the price we pay for a poor diet, in our younger days...or it is the price we pay for our genetic inherited traits.

You can have a lot more things that you think. Just do some study and research. 

In short, the bad news is: you cannot eat like you used to, or like you grew up eating. You have to radically change your diet/food plan.

The good news is: you can reverse the type 2 diabetes, you can avoid blindness and amputation, you can avoid heart failure, and you can get off any type 2 diabetes meds...yes...including insulin....AND...the rest of the good news is: you have a choice.

Choose wisely.

We plan on a ham for lunch.   Hadn't thought about that before you asked some ham for breakfast might need to wait.  Bacon would work though.

Whenever my wife makes pancakes etc, it is hard to watch,  but I've learned not to do that. 

55 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

try Costco or Amazon

The nearest of those is an hour away.  Might be worth it though.  We have a food world and food lion and walmart for groceries,  the bigger chains are about an hour in different directions .  

Build your own 'Grits Bowl'...

Sramble eggs (leave small pan out for the ones who want to fry their own egg)

And set out many items to come and load up their own Grits Bowl.

Like a loaded potato concept.

That way, they will get what they want for breakfast.

6 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

WJ 

GO HOME , ya be DRUNK 

CB 

and don't forget to close the cooler :lol:

.... if I can spill stell Vegemite, I ain't dat thrunk .......   :wacko:

Archived