SASS Wire Forum

Australian Joining SASS

Quiet Burp

Just wondering if other Australians have payed and joined SASS?

To shoot Cowboy Action in Australia I pay my yearly dues to the SSAA which is one of SASSs affiliated organizations and have registered my Cowboy Alias and have my card back and done the necessary holster course. I also pay my club fees where I shoot which is $350.00 a year

What are the benefits of me joining SASS which is another $95.00USD per year ($134.00 AUD) and do I have to do that as I have joined and paid the dues to SSAA? I will never be travelling to the States to compete or shoot.

What do the other Aussies do?

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Its something I've wondered about as well.

Its a shame I can't put my SSAA number here under my screen name/alias so it doesn't look like I'm a freeloader.

Contact SASS HQ

OLG 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Its a shame I can't put my SSAA number here under my screen name/alias so it doesn't look like I'm a freeloader.

Join SASS and you wont be a free loader.!!!

22 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Just wondering if other Australians have payed and joined SASS?

To shoot Cowboy Action in Australia I pay my yearly dues to the SSAA which is one of SASSs affiliated organizations and have registered my Cowboy Alias and have my card back and done the necessary holster course. I also pay my club fees where I shoot which is $350.00 a year

What are the benefits of me joining SASS which is another $95.00USD per year ($134.00 AUD) and do I have to do that as I have joined and paid the dues to SSAA? I will never be travelling to the States to compete or shoot.

What do the other Aussies do?

Your membership of SSAA has nothing to do with SASS.

You need to join SASS to become a member, and support the organization that brings you this great game. You will have access to the Cowboy Chronicle and your support goes towards keep the anti gunners from taking your guns.:D

While will you never be going to the USA to compete, set a goal and go, it's the greatest adventure you'll ever have.

I've been over about 16 times and then went to live and play cowboy there for 5 years, best time of my life and I wish I was still there instead of being in no freedom prison Australia.:(

19 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You have already paid what you need to, I believe.

Some do come over, but I do not believe they have to pay our SASS membership ln top of Oz's.

But, Jack Aroo, or Constable Nelson can answer that...as they have traveled (and lived) here.

Yes they do 

Jackaroo, I won't ever be going to the USA. I would like to, but its never going to happen.

The lifetime of membership past and what will be ongoing till I go underground to the SSAA is my commitment to the anti's and my support of gun ownership here. Plus my lifetime of being a member of the Queensland Amateur Pistol Shooting Association, now Pistol Queensland.

What I am interested in knowing is the 'nuts & bolts' of how us Aussies shoot CAS down here and how the affiliation of the SSAA (Sporting Shooter Association of Australia) works with SASS.

Is it an honorary affiliation that SASS awards the SSAA.

Does the SSAA pay SASS a yearly stipend for using the SASS rule book, RO course(s) Territorial Governors etc etc etc 

I've asked a lot of people for some background information and it all draws a very blank face.

I can't explain the nuts and bolts but here are a few things I do know, RO courses can be done either as a SASS or SSAA member, same course, same instructor, same everything except paperwork goes back to whichever group for badges etc. I'm both SSAA and SASS and I signed on with my SASS membership to do the courses and all the stuff came back from Misty and the crew at HO, SSAA members on that same course had their stuff come back from SSAA, end result we are all RO's, all good.

SSAA affiliation with SASS is like all those clubs in the US that are affiliated, it's a club thing, and just because you are a SSAA member it does not mean you get to shoot at state and above in the US,  you have to be a SASS member to compete in the US at that level.

Here in Australia it doesn't matter, state, regional, territorial and nationals do not require SASS membership and that's why RC Shot put that very good document together about the alias situation, especially regarding how to deal with the duplicate alias issues (if it ever happens) at the bigger shoots.

Anyway apart from all that there are some positives about supporting SASS with membership.

Have you ever been to a shoot where you get told that the comp will be running under SASS rules? As soon as I hear that I know what the rules are, because SASS is the body that allows a standardized set of rules that makes shooting in New Zealand, Australia the US and other places the same and not some hillbilly back yard cricket game where one bounce beer in hand your out kinda thing, or worse still some self appointed important person making up rules as they see fit.

Another thing is legislation, not sure about other states but in QLD there are two reasons you can target shoot with over 38 cal cat H, metallic silhouette and wait for it, western action or single action. One of the reasons it's an accredited event in Australia (National Firearms Agreement) is because it holds a world championship (Olympic and Commonwealth Games events also qualify). SASS is the body that makes the world championship happen. 

I shoot 44's, been to EOT twice, will go again and I like standardized rules so I pay.

You may not get direct benefits from membership but there are a few indirect ones IMHO.

P.S

When I started I said I'd never get to EOT, mate, never say never.:D

13 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Your membership of SSAA has nothing to do with SASS.

You need to join SASS to become a member, and support the organization that brings you this great game. You will have access to the Cowboy Chronicle and your support goes towards keep the anti gunners from taking your guns.:D

While will you never be going to the USA to compete, set a goal and go, it's the greatest adventure you'll ever have.

I've been over about 16 times and then went to live and play cowboy there for 5 years, best time of my life and I wish I was still there instead of being in no freedom prison Australia.:(

Yes they do 

Thank you for clearing that up for me 'Roo.

I never knew they were two seperate entities.

Now I have the facts.

love and miss you.

Hug my Grace for me please!!!

I'II say it plain & simple..SSAA here in Australia is a piss poor organisation that is only interested in membership numbers & hunters mainly because then they don't have to worry about associated  'target shooter costs. IMHO they have a lot of problems which I wont go into here. !! They are from being the so called 'shooters friend '

After 25 + years I gave them the flick & now am a 'Shooters Union Of Australia'  member which like SSAA is affiliated with SASS.

I can no longer shoot  SSAA  State or National shoots,the SASS Regional I can attend as I am a member.

Shooters Union is financially a lot cheaper & a 'LOT' of clubs & members are switching over from other organisations.

How much $$ one spends on actual club m'ship is up to the individual..paying 'BIG is just not an option or necessity for me.

Plenty of clubs are $ 20- $ 50 for annual m'ship.

Re look at the SASS  international m'ships that you quoted, I think you will find they are less than you said..yes it is money spent that some would say 'why if your not shooting in the USA..I like to show my support & be a member of the parent body..been to EOT & WR & loved the experience, would like to add to the 3 trips so far but ain't gunna have the jab so not looking good for getting on the big bird.

From the SASS Membership Website it would cost my wife and I (if I'm looking at it correctly)

USD$95.00 each to initially join which is AUD$265.00

And then annually for a family USD$160.00 which is AUD$224.00 annually 

On top of my SSAA membership that says I'm already affiliated with SASS and have a registered alias + plus my Queensland Pistol Association fees.

I can do a SASS RO1 course through the SSAA 

We're both aged pensioners and don't have dollars to just spend willy nilly, every $ is accounted for and they aren't unlimited.

As far as I'm concerned I have my alias, I'm affiliated to SASS as stated on my plastic issued card via the SSAA, done my holster course and follow the SASS Handbook Rules.

My apologies if I am or have been an unknowing and unwelcome freeloader on the SASS Wire  internet group, if that is in fact the case I can pack my saddle bags I wonder down the trail.

@Quiet Burp You don't need to leave, quite the opposite, you are totally welcome here. I have always kept my hobbies under a strict budget, so I totally agree with you. Join in, have fun and make fun of the crew here. Just don't get between a certain fellow from Tennessee and Banana Splits...

39 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

My apologies if I am or have been an unknowing and unwelcome freeloader on the SASS Wire  internet group, if that is in fact the case I can pack my saddle bags I wonder down the trail.

SASS doesn't consider you a "freeloader".  This forum is open to all interested in Cowboy Action Shooting!   Even guests, who have not joined any CAS organization yet.   Pull up a seat by the fire!

On 12/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Next to SASS# in your profile you put "Outlaw Gunfighter".  Instead of that put "SSAA #XXXXXXX" (whatever it is).

On 12/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Says on my card "Affiliated with SASS" ?

1373543220_IMG_20210716_150937copy.thumb.jpg.a25f38aae9cdc814080b049c91f2a931.jpg

That just means the SSAA is affiliated with with SASS. You DO NOT automatically become a SASS member.

Shooters Union is also affiliated with SASS and is far cheaper than SSAA and you can still shoot anywhere, except maybe at a SSAA state match.

If you can't afford it don't join, then if you decide later to go to the USA and shoot at EOT say, then you WILL have to join SASS.

There are many cowboys here who are not SASS members, and you can be a guest on the wire.:D

On 12/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, Quiet Burp said:

Jackaroo, I won't ever be going to the USA. I would like to, but its never going to happen.

The lifetime of membership past and what will be ongoing till I go underground to the SSAA is my commitment to the anti's and my support of gun ownership here. Plus my lifetime of being a member of the Queensland Amateur Pistol Shooting Association, now Pistol Queensland.

What I am interested in knowing is the 'nuts & bolts' of how us Aussies shoot CAS down here and how the affiliation of the SSAA (Sporting Shooter Association of Australia) works with SASS.

Is it an honorary affiliation that SASS awards the SSAA.

Does the SSAA pay SASS a yearly stipend for using the SASS rule book, RO course(s) Territorial Governors etc etc etc 

I've asked a lot of people for some background information and it all draws a very blank face.

Stop worrying about all that stuff mate. Just go out and enjoy yourself it's not going to affect you. Stand by...beep.:lol:

On 12/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Stop worrying about all that stuff mate. Just go out and enjoy yourself it's not going to affect you. Stand by...beep.:lol:

THIS!

On 12/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, Quiet Burp said:

From the SASS Membership Website it would cost my wife and I (if I'm looking at it correctly)

On top of my SSAA membership that says I'm already affiliated with SASS and have a registered alias + plus my Queensland Pistol Association fees.

We're both aged pensioners and don't have dollars to just spend willy nilly, every $ is accounted for and they aren't unlimited.

As far as I'm concerned I have my alias, I'm affiliated to SASS as stated on my plastic issued card via the SSAA, done my holster course and follow the SASS Handbook Rules.

No, no...don't take it that way....you are an 'affiliated' member. You shoot the game we do.

Stick around.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Quiet Burp said:

Please stick around. You are definitely welcome here. 
 If you don’t ask questions you can’t learn anything. 

Archived