SASS Wire Forum

Sharps Questions

Cholla

For the shooters out there...

Cheek rest or no cheek rest?

Pistol grip or straight grip?

Cheek rest and straight grip on my 50-90. I’ll probably end up with a couple each way. The biggest argument in favor of the pistol grip is that it helps keep the rifle from twisting. Hunting I’d go straight grip, one for the target range I’d get the PG. 

When I bought my new to me Shiloh the pistol grip and cheek rest were a requirement. The pistol grip makes the recoil feel more manageable (to me anyways) and the cheek rest just added to the comfort and seemingly easier repeatable reacquiring the grip. Seems easier to repeat the grip the same every time. I base these observations on shooting a straight gripped, no cheek rest Pedersoli before getting the Shiloh.

Cholla,

it’s all personal preference.  Shoot what you feel most comfortable with. To me, the most important issues are good quality sights (as in repeatability), a consistent load (more repeatability) and being comfortable with your firearm. 

Merry Christmas 

Gringo

Being a lefty, I opted for no cheek rest as to not have another 'lefty' gun for my kids. I've never been a fan of them anyways. For shootability I like the pistol grip stock. For looks I really like the looks of a straight stock and that's what my next one will be.

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No cheek rest and pistol grip stock.

No cheek rest allows you to add a strap on cheek riser for long range. 

PG stock helps you to control recoil torque. 

OLG  

I have left handed cheek pieces on my long range rifles that being said I agree with Mr. Gritz. With this cheek piece it is no long necessary to have the cheek piece added at the factory. https://www.accu-riser.com/precision-lace-on-cheek-pad/

I do like the pistol grip!!!

Jasper

It all depends on how far out you want to shoot.

For me, past 600 yds the cheek needs to be elevated enough for the sights that there's no consistent cheek weld without a strap on cheek piece. 

If your stock has the built-in rest. The strap on version sits at an unusable angle.

YMMV,

OLG 

I have four Sharps. 

None have the cheek rest.

None have the pistol grip.

I ordered two of them, from Shiloh with straight grip, and no cheek piece, and the two used ones, that I bought, were like that, as well.

I guess it is a matter of personal choice, based on one's experiences.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Archived