SASS Wire Forum

Where you live

Alpo

I lived for a short time, in the early 90s, in Norfolk Virginia. The dog was raising hell one night, and I looked out the back door, and someone was on my back patio stealing the kids' bicycles.

You could not leave something in the back of your truck, because it would not be there the next morning.

That town was full of thieves. Possibly because it was a large town.

There's a house around the corner that is having new siding put on. They knocked off Friday and went home. They didn't come back to work yesterday - I assumed it was because it was such a wet nasty day. They didn't come back to work again today. Maybe they're taking the week off for Christmas.

IMG_20211221_130631764.thumb.jpg.147bf42c3a9eaef1da90bbe3526f34e2.jpg

The scaffolding is still standing there next to the house. Been there for 4 days. If this was Norfolk it wouldn't have still been there Saturday morning.

Where you live - would the scaffolding still be there?

Where I live now everything would still be there . But where I grew up “Saginaw Mi” . Usually somewhere in the top 10 per capita for murders in the US , it would most likely be gone if there is a used market for it 

Just got back from our nightly walk, and took a walk up into the yard to take a look.

The wood that I circled in the previous post is just a stack of lumber. The scaffold boards are lying on the ground in front of the big yellow dumpster.

IMG_20211221_162245605.thumb.jpg.084edfad05ee0660e1c9ce71d96faab6.jpg

IMG_20211221_162255097.thumb.jpg.8abe8ba74493c90f152369ce38c97d13.jpg

We've had a bit of theft around here from time to time .... almost like "who got out of gaol recently ?"  <_<

..... just recently a gang was discovered and at least one of them suffered from the "fell down and hit his face on the pavement" syndrome ...

........several times ...

......in quick succession  ;)

All is quiet "on the Western Front" .... for the moment ....... until they get out of gaol .... AGAIN !!!   :angry:

We had a break-in at the hardware store a couple of years ago. It was a huge deal. Huge. :lol:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Where you live - would the scaffolding still be there?

Only if there were some bodies hanging from it from previous trespassers.

This is my boat just 20 feet in front of my house, someone stole the outboard a couple a years ago at night. Dogs didn't even bark.

Still irritates the hell outta' me ..... damn I would have liked to have gone out and caught them.

1860564568__DSC1611copy.thumb.jpg.dd65825a37f79a9f24e204c715dd3000.jpg

Had a break in at the shop where I worked, many years ago. We worked in a bad part of town, but we treated people good and the community supported our shop and its employees. 

They stole a couple of floor jacks, some tools, and a couple pieces of shop equipment. It was on a Friday night while most of us were at the dragstrip.  When we got back to the shop, the cops were there and some neighbors were already boarding up the broken doors.

On Monday morning, the missing stuff was sitting in front of the shop and we found a note telling us the culprits had been apprehended.  It went on to explain that one burglar was hospitalized and the other had “turned himself in”!!

One of our officer friends stopped in later that day.  He was laughing as he explained that the one who surrendered had looked like a victim of a brutal mugging.  This thug had told the police where to find his cohort who suffered several serious contusions and two broken hands!

Over the next few days, numerous “community leaders” stopped in to apologize and make sure that everything had been found and returned.

26 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Only if there were some bodies hanging from it from previous trespassers.

...... they'd probably leave the bodies ............ maybe .......    :unsure:

We have trouble every once in a while. I am out in the country about 4 miles from a town of about 3000 people. I have 2 Dobermans that are loose in the house. Most people that stop in stay in their cars. Just the two of them looking out the picture window is enough to scare most people off. I am on a main highway...a fair amount of traffic goes by. Some people out on the gravel roads have some theft once in a while...usually dopers that sooner or later get caught.

Contractors leave lots of their materials, and associated equipment out for several weeks around here. Very little, to virtually nothing goes missing.

It's a God, guns and family zone. Not always in that order.

Out here its tweekers looking for something to sell, was hit by a drunk driver in front of our place a few weeks ago, called it in, sheriffs deputy came out, they caught the guy, deputy stopped by to let us know what happened,  i mentioned a few more patrols would be nice, lots of strange stuff goin on.  He told us he was almost to retirement and didnt really care to get involved in that sort of stuff anymore, i told him no problem,  just send the coroner next time.

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

We've had a bit of theft around here from time to time .... almost like "who got out of gaol recently ?"  <_<

..... just recently a gang was discovered and at least one of them suffered from the "fell down and hit his face on the pavement" syndrome ...

........several times ...

......in quick succession  ;)

All is quiet "on the Western Front" .... for the moment ....... until they get out of gaol .... AGAIN !!!   :angry:

I see you spell Gaol the same way we do.  An eon ago, I was a Correction Officer at a provincial Gaol.

wifes car was ransacked in the drive [didnt lock it] years ago , lost a couple packages at cristmass a couple years ago to porch pirates , other than that - between the cop that lives two doors away and the sherif that lives a block away have a deterrent factor with the cars in the drive 

I am in the safest location I have ever been. We live five miles back in a gated ranchette "subdivision" and currently my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. There is no one currently living beyond us and our house is 150 yards off the dirt road. We have mountain lions in our yard at times. The UPS guy doesn't like to come after dark unless I'm reloading in the garage with the door open. We had an appraiser come out a month or so ago and after my wife started telling him about the critters we have around us, he was shooting to be done before the sun went down. There is construction going on by us but I have seen windows stacked for months waiting to be installed. If, and that's a big if, something was stolen, it would be by one of the other construction trades and not by wandering thieves. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I see you spell Gaol the same way we do.  An eon ago, I was a Correction Officer at a provincial Gaol.

...... well, .... 'tis proper to be correct ........   ;)

I was wondering how long before someone picked up on that; ... didn't expect it to be in agreement   :)

I've forgotten to close my garage door when leaving a couple of times since moving here, once for about five hours.   Getting old.,you know.

Nothing stolen or moved at all.  In California you'd be lucky if the house was still there.

My neighbors here stop by if they see a strange car or truck in my driveway, "just checking".  My kids came to visit and had a new SUV with a trailer and were impressed that the people across the street and next door checked on me.  You'd be surprised how often they show up with a gun of some sort.  One old guy doesn't trust himself with guns any more but he has six or seven other neighbors and the local cops on spreed dial and can cover my front yard with a camera from his front steps.

The guy across the street and his wife had some FedEx packages stolen off the porch.  Can't (Couldn't at that time) see the porch from the street.  We helped him cut the hedge down to a more reasonable level.

The last place I lived, on the East Coast, was a small town.  The police would deal with a "crime wave" every couple of years, when kids usually in the 13-17 years range would do a little housebreaking looking for saleable items like TVs, jewelry and the like.  One neighbor, a county detective, had his house broken into when his wife left the garage door open by mistake. 

The only time we lock the house is when we leave for a couple hours or days or go to bed.  There are two trucks and two cars in the shed.  Keys in them if you need to borrow one.  All four are fairly conspicuous.  I almost wish someone would steal my car so I could collect the insurance value on it.  I should sell it.  There are tons of tools in both sheds.  Rarely lock them.  I live 150 yards off the town road.  Nearest neighbor is 200 yards away.  Most people in the area know me or who I am.  They also know my hobbies, which I believe helps keep some away.  My other toys are locked up with the exception of a few strategically placed ones for emergency varmint removal.  It is rural America baby.  The most dangerous thing we have is an angry squirrel.

As to the original picture and question, no they would not steal the scaffolding. They would, however steal the castors if they had been left on the scaffold. The wire on the temp power pole (on the ground) would be gone also.

In the Tampa Bay area, the teenagers, in groups or gangs, drive around the neighborhoods late night/early morning to steal from unlocked cars. It's amazingly stupid to leave a car outside and unlocked with valuables (especially guns) but people do it all of the time. Rarely do they actually physically break into a vehicle, 99.9% of the time, it's unlocked.

House burglaries are usually targeted. The bad guys know that there are drugs, money, guns or all three at the targeted location. These are usually home invasion type burglaries and sometimes they get the wrong house. There is the usual home burglary that seem to be random in nature but not always the case. If I had to guess, I'd say the ratio is 30% targeted and 70% random.

Porch pirates seem to be increasing in frequency. We bring in our packages fairly quick. I can't understand why the delivery companies don't ring the doorbell or knock on the door even though it is requested. Is it really that hard to push a friggin button?

I keep the doors locked, gates padlocked and garage door shut as preventative measures. I know that the only thing locks will do is keep out lazy thieves but at least it's a deterrent. If they get past the locks, etc. and I'm home...well...I wouldn't want to be them.

12 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... well, .... 'tis proper to be correct ........   ;)

I was wondering how long before someone picked up on that; ... didn't expect it to be in agreement   :)

That;s because we got edumakated about gaul back in October. :rolleyes:

I live in california.  

The scaffold would likely still be there for the simple reason it would require work to move it.  Otherwise, the crooks pretty much have free rein.  And will take advantage of it. 

The former Fresno Police Chief (now mayor!) used to do a radio spot called Fresno's Most Wanted, or some such.  These often went something like this:  "Today's 'most wanted' is Juan Herrera.  Herrera is wanted for auto theft.  Herrera has been arrested nineteen times this year for auto theft."  Why bother?  <_<

22 hours ago, Alpo said:

The scaffold boards are lying on the ground in front of the big yellow dumpster.

And I was wrong again. They were actually out working this afternoon when I went by. The "scaffold boards" are perforated aluminum planks with hooks on the ends of them so they won't fall off of the scaffolding. I guess they either took them with them when they left last Friday night, or they locked them inside the house.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

And I was wrong again. They were actually out working this afternoon when I went by. The "scaffold boards" are perforated aluminum planks with hooks on the ends of them so they won't fall off of the scaffolding. I guess they either took them with them when they left last Friday night, or they locked them inside the house.

Probably because people steal them and sell them as scrap. 

Here in the lawless PRK, a thief broke out the passenger window of my lodge master's Tundra in the parking lot, so they could steal a jacket.

Catalytic convertor thieves are active here... they have devastated the Prius populations, especially in the People's Republic of Davis...
Due to the huge cost, insurance totals most of these vehicles as a result.
The local muffler shop is doing a brisk business of welding anti-theft cages around the cats.

Archived