SASS Wire Forum

Coil Mainspring Conversion

Bo Bender

What’s everyone’s opinion on the Coil Mainspring Conversions on the 73’s, are they that much better that the stock leaf spring? I’ve shot guns with both and I can’t tell the difference.

44 minutes ago, Bo Bender said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on the Coil Mainspring Conversions on the 73’s, are they that much better that the stock leaf spring? I’ve shot guns with both and I can’t tell the difference.

The only opinion that matters is yours and you have answered your own question.

The advantage of a coil spring is hat they are less likely to break compared to a leaf spring,

and they are easier to adjust for hammer wight.

If those are not a prerequisite for what you're doing, then there is no logistical

reason for changing the spring type.  I'd prefer to have a half dozen leaf springs in the

kit bag, those should last the life of all three of my Colts.

SC

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

The advantage of a coil spring is hat they are less likely to break compared to a leaf spring,

and they are easier to adjust for hammer wight.

If those are not a prerequisite for what you're doing, then there is no logistical

reason for changing the spring type.  I'd prefer to have a half dozen leaf springs in the

kit bag, those should last the life of all three of my Colts.

SC

This is my understanding as well. I wouldn’t expect a properly tuned coil spring to feel different from a properly tuned leaf spring.  I know the OP is discussing 1873s but @45 Dragoon converted my 1851 Navy’s to coil springs (they run great!). Perhaps he will chime in with the advantages and drawbacks for coil vs leaf.

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Has anyone heard of a coil spring replacement for pistols?

Yeah, AWA made them.  The geometry in a Colt/clone was off and it took a new hammer and a mod to the trigger guard to get it to work.  Bottom line is a well tuned leaf spring works fine and the kits and AWA have faded from the scene.

SANY0015.thumb.JPG.8de7909b76bc5f4f947e6f58d4f91c45.JPG.8ebe575979f45896577014a3c902df75.JPG

SANY0018.thumb.JPG.bf387942641b402df36a4c95c06c2e38.JPG.57824418252ae791d5f4133beae0a7d7.JPG

Archived