SASS Wire Forum

The Tonight Show

Boy... I sure miss Jay Leno.  Fun, humor, and virtually no politics.  :mellow:

(And no, I don't watch the "new guy."  But the TV was on that channel when I walked in tonight...  what a waste)  <_<

Coal Bert is truly a waste of skin!!  A piss poor, one subject comodian who ain’t funny and ruined a great late night show!!

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Boy... I sure miss Jay Leno.  Fun, humor, and virtually no politics.  :mellow:

(And no, I don't watch the "new guy."  But the TV was on that channel when I walked in tonight...  what a waste)  <_<

Watch "You Bet Your Life" with Jay Leno and Kevin Eubanks, you'll get a lot of Jay's humor on this show. I love it!

I like Jay Leno*, he's a nice guy and decent human being and he did as a good job on the Tonight Show, but Johnny Carson, was and is, the king of the late night talk shows.  Carson made a difficult job look effortless. 

Craig Ferguson is another host (The Late, Late Show on CBS) who was very good.  There are a lot of You Tube clips of Craig Ferguson on the Late, Late Show well worth watching. 

*I saw a interview clip on You Tube where Jay Leno took a 50% pay cut on the Tonight Show so that people who worked on the show wouldn't get laid off. IIRC he gave up a 30 million dollar salary and accepted 15 million.  During the interview Jay said never spent any of his Tonight Show salary, it just went into the bank.  Even during the Tonight Show he was doing 200+ shows a year as a stand up comedian.

We met Leno back in the 90's at Harley's birthday party in Milwaukee. It was brief, but he acted like he'd known for years. Seemed like a real person!

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've rarely watched any of the late night talk shows.  How can people who have to get up at 0500, or earlier, stay up and watch them and still function the next day?  

We were tougher back then. 

My two sons and I were at the Carson show in 1992, He had Elizabeth Taylor and Michael Douglas and some unknown comedian. It was awesome! Doc Severinsen band was great!!;)

11 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Not to bash Leno, but I really miss Johnny Carson.  His skit with Dom Deluise and his egg trick is my all time favorite.

8 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I miss Jack Parr,

Hopefully you all realize these people and most of the others mentioned in this thread are DEAD.

9 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Hopefully you all realize these people and most of the others mentioned in this thread are DEAD.

I was just about to comment on this!  :)

Leno is still very much alive - and if you haven't found them yet, I'd really recommend his "Jay Leno's Garage" episodes on YouTube.  Fun stuff for the gearheads!  ^_^

Those fellas who are no longer with us were terrific!  Unfortunately, their brand of entertainment - clean, relatively non-political, is largely in the past as well.  Carson and even Leno would have "political" guests on their shows, but they maintained a pretty benign demeanor and helped generate laughs.  Even Rush Limbaugh, when he was a Leno guest.

The snippet I caught last night, though, was just horrible:  Fallon had Biden as a guest, and a goodly amount of their dialogue was Trump and Republican bashing.  

And yes, I did refrain from launching anything damaging at the television - although a nearby cat may have experienced a moment of apprehension at the prospect of becoming a missile.  

44 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

And yes, I did refrain from launching anything damaging at the television - although a nearby cat may have experienced a moment of apprehension at the prospect of becoming a missile.  

....................... you could've used the Elvis "off button" ...... ;)

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Even back then I didn't watch it.  I can get by once in a while on short sleep, but not consistently.

Back then I could go 3 or 4 days on minimal sleep.  Bounced right back after getting a couple days of rest.

Now if I try that for more than a day it takes a week or more to recover.

6 minutes ago, Singin&#x27; Sue 71615 said:

When Fallon first took on the show, we watched and thought it pretty funny.

But his 'ugly' side started to show quickly...

We have not watched evening TV in a long while.

That #*$&^% has turned a fun, late night program into his personal, lefty, in-your-face political bully pulpit.  -_- 

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've rarely watched any of the late night talk shows.  How can people who have to get up at 0500, or earlier, stay up and watch them and still function the next day?  

I was younger then and when I lived in Wi in the central time zone it came on at 10:30 , that was always nice 

After Johnny Carson, the greatest, there was never a reason to watch anyone else. Jack Benny reruns, sure, but today's late night talk show hosts are mostly a bunch of wannabee The View hosts. The only exception I have found is probably Conan O'Brien. But who in the hell can stay awake past 9 pm anymore to watch TV? :o;)

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was younger then and when I lived in Wi in the central time zone it came on at 10:30 , that was always nice 

It came on here at 11 p.m.  and I'm one of those people who has trouble sleeping past about 4:30 a.m. unless I'm ill.  Even on Pascha, when we've been up until about 3:30 a.m. I'm awake at about 6 a.m.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Geez, I miss stuff like this, Johnny Carson interviewing George Foreman:

”Is he a good fighter?”

” I hope not!”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHTl11Ktuw

Thanks, I forgot how funny George Foreman could be

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

After Johnny Carson, the greatest, there was never a reason to watch anyone else. Jack Benny reruns, sure, but today's late night talk show hosts are mostly a bunch of wannabee The View hosts. The only exception I have found is probably Conan O'Brien. But who in the hell can stay awake past 9 pm anymore to watch TV? :o;)

I know I am ready to be in bed by 8:30 pm any more...and I believe I am on the baby-end of our age group here!!!

27 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I know I am ready to be in bed by 8:30 pm any more...and I believe I am on the baby-end of our age group here!!!

I'm betting I'm more baby end than you are, that sounds weird :o but almost 30 years of rotating shift work has turned me into someone who can very much appreciate an early bedtime. Or an anytime nap.

I was fortunate when I was young that my parents never missed the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. They knew I loved Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band so they let me watch it on occasion. It was a huge treat to see Johnny, Ed, and Doc do their thing. Absolutely loved it. Class acts both, all the way. (Even as a kid I cracked up when Ed was snockered on TV. Lol.)

Archived