SASS Wire Forum

Did I ever tell you about ........

.... my Grandfathers axe ..... ?

Well I've got it now.

Grampaw had this wunnafull old axe for most of his adult life, and now it's mine. :)

He had only this one axe all that time and used it daily for most things you do with axes.

Only this one axe.   Of course it's had 15 new handles and 6 new heads but it's still the same old axe.

;)

I'm surprised I didn't inherit my FIL's old precious axe. He had it forever and it handled like it was custom built. One day down in the woods we were cutting up dead hemlocks. I accidentally grabbed his axe to trim branches. A short bit later he was fit to be tied. There were chunks the size of my finger nail missing from the edge. I never heard the end of what I did to his axe. He had a much softer one for hemlock. How the hell did I know. Tag em next time.:lol:

Still have my grandfathers axe which he had given to my dad. I got it from my mom after my dad had passed away. Been a good tool to me for the last 15 years and don't know how many years to others before that. At the moment the head is in the shed waiting for me to get a new handle for it.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I still have my dad's old blue Sager double bit 4 pound felling axe, the one he used in the late 1930s when he was a lumberjack for the Frazer River Lumber Company in north west Oregon.  He bought two for his own use and one was destroyed in about 1951, but I got the other one.

I'm not sure who I'll leave it to because my son and grandson have no interest in it and my son-in-law seems indifferent, too. 

BTW, this one is all original, but has been sharpened numerous times and the handle is scarred but still serviceable.

When I was a young’en, I heard someone call my maternal grandmother an “old battle axe”, just about the time she split their skull!!  :o :ph34r: :lol:

I inherited a pice of my great grandparents farm in Michigan and bought 20 more acres. The old homestead is on my second 20. I found an old axe head, pullies, and cables from when they logged it off to make farmland. I ought to clean the head up and put it on a new handle. During the depression my grandpa was in the CCC in da UP. So this predates that. He would cut, split, deliver and stack firewood for $2.50 a truckload. All by hand.

Then there is the guy who had this old car, but was like new... Of course, he did have to replace the transmission a couple of times, bought new tires, had the brakes redone, and a short block and header,  power steering unit redone...twice... had the interior completely redone. But the radiator cap was original...until it sprang a leak! So he jacked up the cap and ran his "old" car underneath it!

Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, and hope whoever had a Happy Chanuka!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Then there is the guy who had this old car, but was like new... Of course, he did have to replace the transmission a couple of times, bought new tires, had the brakes redone, and a short block and header,  power steering unit redone...twice... had the interior completely redone. But the radiator cap was original...until it sprang a leak! So he jacked up the cap and ran his "old" car underneath it!

Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, and hope whoever had a Happy Chanuka!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

A local case very similar is what brought the old joke to mind.

This local fellow has an old Holden utility which has a visor strip across the top of the windscreen with the words "GRANDFATHERS AXE", and yes there is probably not an original component on/in it from the time it left the factory when it was first built.

https://www.pinterest.com/shapdoginc/holden-utes/

WARNING: ... clickbait alert !

:ph34r:

Archived