SASS Wire Forum

Floppy or pointed

Perro Del Diablo

With floppy ears that hang down completely covering the ear canal, you have to be careful to clean the canals periodically so the dog doesn't develop infections.  We've got one of each configuration.  Had an English Springer Spaniel that we tried to keep clean, but he developed infections that even anti-biotics couldn't cure.  Eventually went to the skull and we had to put him down. :(  Currently, our cookapoo is checked quite often. So far so good.

Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays, Pards!

35 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

With floppy ears that hang down completely covering the ear canal, you have to be careful to clean the canals periodically so the dog doesn't develop infections.  We've got one of each configuration.  Had an English Springer Spaniel that we tried to keep clean, but he developed infections that even anti-biotics couldn't cure.  Eventually went to the skull and we had to put him down. :(  Currently, our cookapoo is checked quite often. So far so good.

Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays, Pards!

Yup!  We've had Cocker Spaniels for the past 45 yrs and they are high maintenance.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I try not to customize my dogs. I take the factory models and we get along great.:D

I'll take the used ones. Doesn't matter if they have pointy or flappy ears, docked or long tail. The love between a man and his dog is unrequited. 

Until we inherited April all our pets came as equipped by the factory.  April The Toy Poodle had her tail docked.  But we like it!  
When she is happy or excited it vibrate a mile a minute, like the spring door stops we drove our parents nuts playing with when we were little kids.

See the source image

Watch the tail:

Docking a tail had & has a purpose.  For a Rottweiler who worked cattle the tail was docked to prevent from being hurt while working the cattle.

A Jack Russell Terrorist's tail was/is docked so the owner has something to grab when the JRT has chased something down a hole.  Kind of like pulling someone up by their wrist instead of a finger.

And watching a Rottweiler wagging it's nub never fails to make me smile

I had a litter of cockers. Had their tails docked and their dew claws removed when they were 3 days old. Very little blood. They didn't act like it hurt. Kind of like circumcising a baby.

Pointed ears on a Doberman or a bull or a Dane get cut much later. I assume they have to wait till the dog is weaned, because fighting with his brothers and sisters for a teat would tear the bandaging loose. Surgery at that late date has to hurt them.

But I've never had a pointed-earred dog.

Floppy ears and a full sized (not cropped) tail.

I don't really care. We have two German Shepherds, the male has floppy ears, the females are pointed, and we love 'em both. As for cropping, I personally am against it, do not understand it, wish it wasn't done. But that's a choice for the individual dog owner to make.

Archived