SASS Wire Forum

Set of 5.5" Colt Single Action Army (3rd Gen's) in 38-40 value?

1st Sgt BearClaw Toklat

I've got the opportunity to buy a consecutive set of Colt SAA's, chambered in 38-40.  The are blued, 3rds gen guns, used but in excellent shape.  They appear to either have a good spring kit or have been tuned by a smith, as the actions are smooth and silky.  They have the factory rubber grips.  What is the value on a set like this?

In Alaska?  I have no idea, but make an offer of no more than 50% of their asking price and work up until you and seller are comfortable.  Then it's a good deal for both of you.  Whether that's a good deal for anyone else, is simply anyone else's business.

somebody offered me half what I was asking I.d say Have a nice day and we're done!!

There would be no further conversation !  It's one thing to haggle another to be , well.....

don't want to get banned!!

edited in  2mos ago, a brand new pair of consecutive s hung on gunbroker for weeks,

buyer took $3800      38-40 you are  committed to hand loading!!

18 hours ago, 1st Sgt Yukon said:

I've got the opportunity to buy a consecutive set of Colt SAA's, chambered in 38-40.  The are blued, 3rds gen guns, used but in excellent shape.  They appear to either have a good spring kit or have been tuned by a smith, as the actions are smooth and silky.  They have the factory rubber grips.  What is the value on a set like this?

They haven't been made since 2016 and aren't likely ever to be made again.  Base revolvers at that time were 1550.00, consecutive serial numbers were a 100.00 dollar option.  If they have beveled cylinders, that was a 100.00 option each.  If they have custom roll marks, that was an additional option.  "Black Powder Frame" was an additional cost option.   As was the "Royal Blue" finish.  The later models with removable bushings are slightly more desirable than the ones with pressed in bushings, especially to black powder shooters.   The boxes and sleeves are a plus among collectors and Colt shooters in general.   The only drawback to these is the caliber.  It's not as popular as the .357, .45 Colt, or the .44-40.   

I tried to find what the sold price was for completed auctions on Gunbroker, but all I could find for .38-40s were auctions that languished because of the outrageous starting price.   Looking at other calibers, the successful auctions started at a reasonable price, and bidding took off from there.   Finished auction selling prices ran from ~ 1600 - 2800 depending on condition/caliber/barrel-length.

Most 3rd gen Colts around me are going around $2000/gun give or take $200 caliber don't mater, condition is the important thing.  I have a pair in .44-40/.44 sp one has two cylinders the other one has 3 cylinders, 2 in .44-40  and one in .44 sp. They would cost someone south of $10,000  for me to sale.  They are not worth that but I don't want to sale either.

5 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

somebody offered me half what I was asking I.d say Have a nice day and we're done!!

There would be no further conversation !  It's one thing to haggle another to be , well.....

don't want to get banned!!

Same here.  I price my stuff fairly and if someone offered me 50% my response would get me banned from the wire.  No further conversation even if the bozo offered me full price on his way out the door.

The last Colt I bought was made in 1978, it was unfired, .357 4 3/4” barrel and I got it for $1600 on the SASS classified 3 yrs ago

I thought that was a deal!

On another thread, there was a closed Gunbroker auction from November where a pair of consecutive 3rd Gen 44-40s, new old stock, with original blue boxes, black powder frames, unfired, sold for $4,425, the pair.   Other sites are asking +$3,000 each.   Prices are all over the place and, in the end, depend on how motivated each party is to complete a transaction.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The last Colt I bought was made in 1978, it was unfired, .357 4 3/4” barrel and I got it for $1600 on the SASS classified 3 yrs ago

I thought that was a deal!

It was!

On 12/18/2021 at 8:34 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

On another thread, there was a closed Gunbroker auction from November where a pair of consecutive 3rd Gen 44-40s, new old stock, with original blue boxes, black powder frames, unfired, sold for $4,425, the pair.   Other sites are asking +$3,000 each.   Prices are all over the place and, in the end, depend on how motivated each party is to complete a transaction.

I ended up being the final owner of that set buying them from the winning bidder I desired them he was a collector in the end it took him making $1000.00 profit I was glad to pay that due to the rarity of finding a brand new, un-fired, consecutive set for a 44-40 junky like me, I was happy to pay his price! Are they worth $2750.00 each????? They where to me, would I sell them......NOPE!

5 minutes ago, Will Burn Powder said:

I ended up being the final owner of that set buying them from the winning bidder I desired them he was a collector in the end it took him making $1000.00 profit I was glad to pay that due to the rarity of finding a brand new, un-fired, consecutive set for a 44-40 junky like me, I was happy to pay his price! Are they worth $2750.00 each????? They where to me, would I sell them......NOPE!

Glad you got what you wanted.  There are other sets available, but the prices are even higher.  If someone wants them badly enough, they will pay the price.

Archived