SASS Wire Forum

The new Ford Maverick

Utah Bob #35998

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have no idea what you just told me.  "In-house"?  "Escape platform"?  "Motors"?  Are these electric or gasoline or diesel engines?

Can I still buy a small truck with a gasoline engine?

The unibody platform of the Ford Escape has been modified to make the Bronco Sport and Maverick.  

In-house means they are a Ford built motor as opposed to an industry standard motor that multiple OEMs would use.  

The Maverick hybrid uses a 2.5L gasoline engine and 2 electric motors.  Yes, the Maverick can be had with the 2.0 ecoboost (turbocharged gasoline engine, no hybrid drive).  

Yes, you can buy many small "trucks" with gasoline only power. They are more like a minivan or compact SUV with a small bed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Nope. A Ranchero was made from a 2 door station wagon. here is my Ranchero.

Ranchero 1.jpg

Rancho.jpg

Ranchero 3.jpg

Ranchero  351.jpg

A modern crossover is basically a glorified station wagon.  They are front wheel drive and have car suspension and no frame.  The Maverick is no different.  Your Ranchero was more of a truck than any modern crossover or Ford Maverick.  The unibody design and front wheel drive makes these vehicles lighter and more fuel efficient, but it also trades off the things that trucks are made to do.

Maybe that meets the needs of many people and that's why they will sell these, but for me, I need body on frame, and heavy duty axles/suspension to pull my trailer.  But for people who want a truck merely to transport large or bulky items, the Maverick could be great.  One of my coworkers ordered one and is going to replace his F150 with one--and for him, it's a good trade for sure.

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The unibody platform of the Ford Escape has been modified to make the Bronco Sport and Maverick.  

In-house means they are a Ford built motor as opposed to an industry standard motor that multiple OEMs would use.  

The Maverick hybrid uses a 2.5L gasoline engine and 2 electric motors.  Yes, the Maverick can be had with the 2.0 ecoboost (turbocharged gasoline engine, no hybrid drive).  

Yes, you can buy many small "trucks" with gasoline only power. They are more like a minivan or compact SUV with a small bed.

Thanks.  That makes sense now. (I'm a dinosaur and don't understand these things.)

My daughter just bought a new Bronco to replace her 1984 Bronco that has been rebuilt several times and has almost a quarter million miles on it.  Hers is a gas electric hybrid.  Her husband bought a bigger SUV with the same features about a year ago.

Between their comments, and your explanation, Ford may have sold a new Maverick.  I'll check it out after the first of the year.

53 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Thanks.  That makes sense now. (I'm a dinosaur and don't understand these things.)

My daughter just bought a new Bronco to replace her 1984 Bronco that has been rebuilt several times and has almost a quarter million miles on it.  Hers is a gas electric hybrid.  Her husband bought a bigger SUV with the same features about a year ago.

Between their comments, and your explanation, Ford may have sold a new Maverick.  I'll check it out after the first of the year.

She has a Bronco Sport if it is a hybrid.  The Bronco comes in gasoline only options.  They are two different models with few interchangeable parts like her 1984 Bronco ii was different from a 1984 Bronco XLT. 

Good luck on your new truck quest.

I think I will stay with my 2016 Nissan Frontier, it has a steel body on a truck frame, a reasonably powerful and fairly economic v6 and a bed the size of the Maverick. Comparable price new, worse mileage and less geegaws.

As for Blackwater and his Ol Green. He neglected to mention that it has no mufflers. We rode from Nashville to OK City for Landrun in 2010 and my ears are still ringing. But, he's fun to travel with and shoot with so I would do it again.

Imis

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A lot of people have no need to pull anything much larger than that.  So why spend $80,000 on a behemoth that is 8 feet tall, has 20" wheels, and can tow 60,000 pounds through mud 4 feet deep?

And want to park them where they stick out into traffic blocking a lane...

I like the mpg rating. I do not like the looks. The tow capacity is low. My Jeep Gladiator can tow 7,000 pounds. Granted it gets 4 mpg when going uphill doing so, but it can do it.

I do NOT , think I have ever seen a rig that get lower MPG  on the road , vs in town 

that tell me the engine , is flat out over working its self , 

with the elect. grid already on the edge , just how are ya gonna keep it charged up ? 

CB 

don't want to have to turn the farm into a 25 acre solar scrap yard 

Depends on what you need. Nobody said this will replace a full size truck.  That’s not what it was designed to do. It’s just a lightweight pickup. Not intended to tow a freight train up a dirt road. But as a replacement for a small SUV, it makes sense to me. As I said, I wouldn’t use one to replace my old F250. If it turns out to be reliable, Ford will make money.

53 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I do NOT , think I have ever seen a rig that get lower MPG  on the road , vs in town 

with the elect. grid already on the edge , just how are ya gonna keep it charged up ? 

CB 

That is standard for hybrid vehicles.  

11 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

I had an 89, while it was fun, the new truck is so much nicer is all aspects.   It can even hold highway speeds up a big hill, something the 22re couldn’t do.  The one thing I do miss is a lever to shift the transfer case.   Now it’s a knob, which I assume activates a solenoid to actually shift the transfer case. 

I currently drive a 2008 Tundra, and love it. No question it will get out of its own way when I mash the go pedal. But the '82 was simplicity itself, was capable off road, and got me to and from law school through some very bad weather. Could it have been more powerful? Sure, but it was the simplicity I was referring to, along with the size. Plenty of bed space so that with a cap on it I could camp in it. at 5'11" I never felt cramped in it, and it got reasonable gas mileage on those trips. Now, I could probably make do with a Maverick or Santa Cruz, but from the videos I've watched, the all-wheel drive doesn't compare to the old four wheel drive systems, even with the electronics helping.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not sure why Ford picked that name, seems odd to me. 

I think it’s sort of a cool name, sounds sort western and rugged. Unfortunately, lots of us remember the original that was a typical-for-the-era cheap Detroit attempt at an economy car to compete with VW and the new Japanese imports. Perhaps their target market doesn’t make that association. 

19 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I think it’s sort of a cool name, sounds sort western and rugged. Unfortunately, lots of us remember the original that was a typical-for-the-era cheap Detroit attempt at an economy car to compete with VW and the new Japanese imports. Perhaps their target market doesn’t make that association. 

They are marketing to potential customers who have never seen an original Maverick.

I've perused most of the replies and found this an interesting topic. We bought our F-150 new in 2019, got the Lariat level 4-door with 4WD and 5' bed. After getting the top of the line warranty package, clear coat, step rails and a camper shell we have a skoosh over 70K invested. Shudder to think of what they go for now!! As one poster mentioned I've had no issue with the aluminum body, but also, I haven't hit anything. I bought a truck for the occasional times I need the cargo capability, maybe a time or two a year. And another reason is as I get older stepping Down into a sedan and then trying to get UP out of one has become a real pain in the arse. And knees, and spine, etc, etc. With the aftermarket step rails, getting in and out of a full size truck is much easier and more comfortable.

Want a good laugh? Thanks to covid and the wife working at home, we bought the truck new in June 2019. As of this morning it has a bit over 3700 miles on it!

If you want out of a truck, it’s a great time to sell it….you might be amazed what you could get out of it.  Sedans and cars are more available for the most part and new ones can be bought fairly reasonably.  If wanting a change take a look….

On 12/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My daughter just bought a new Bronco to replace her 1984 Bronco that has been rebuilt several times and has almost a quarter million miles on it.  

I hear OJ is getting a new one also.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Carry on. :ph34r:

On 12/16/2021 at 9:24 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A Ranchero was a car with an open trunk. :lol:

That's kinda what this is. What are you supposed to do with a 4.5' bed? BTW I can;t get over how these car companies like to re-use their old trademarked names. The old Maverick was a cheap 2-door sedan back in the 70s, basically just an enlarged Pinto. It's like when Dodge resurrected the Dart name, applying it to an Italian-designed front-wheel drive 4-banger that looked nothing like the original rear-wheeled 6 and 8-cylinder Darts of the 1960s and 70s.

I drove the Santa Cruz a few days ago, the non turbo is too slow for me and not sure it could pull well or carry payload.

Believe it or not, in large cities and urban areas I can see these doing rather well.  Having had F-250 and F-150s, having them here near Seattle/Tacoma could drive you nuts.  My wife won’t touch a suburban or Yukon here, just too hard to park. And maneuver in heavy traffic.

These can fit runs to Home Depot while still allowing easy parking, and the small beds and tow rating can likely meet 80% or more of what most people really use.  

On 12/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

CB 

Around town, it's primarily running on the electric motors.  On the highway, mostly the gas engine.  Hence the numbers that seem reversed to us old school guys.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That's kinda what this is. What are you supposed to do with a 4.5' bed? BTW I can;t get over how these car companies like to re-use their old trademarked names. The old Maverick was a cheap 2-door sedan back in the 70s, basically just an enlarged Pinto. It's like when Dodge resurrected the Dart name, applying it to an Italian-designed front-wheel drive 4-banger that looked nothing like the original rear-wheeled 6 and 8-cylinder Darts of the 1960s and 70s.

Ford likes horse names. But there’s only so many breeds the non horse public understands. Obviously they couldn’t call it an Arabian. Or a Morgan. Certainly not a Percheron. :lol:

@Utah Bob #35998 check out youtube - specifically The Fast Lane Truck, TFL Off Road or maybe one of the other TFL channels. They're doing some tests of that family of vehicles to include cargo carrying, towing, etc.

I am completely out of touch with trucks and truck prices other then occasionally seeing discussions like this. I have a 2007 Tacoma 4 cylinder I bought new. I have seen that trucks can be up in that $70,000 range but had no idea an f-150 could get to that level.

23 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I am completely out of touch with trucks and truck prices other then occasionally seeing discussions like this. I have a 2007 Tacoma 4 cylinder I bought new. I have seen that trucks can be up in that $70,000 range but had no idea an f-150 could get to that level.

A fully loaded Tacoma can go for over $40k now.  Trucks are crazy expensive. 

33 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

In some areas these high dollar trucks have become status symbols. Around here in SukCal “road warriors” buy expensive trucks, lift them, add a bunch of useless cool looking crap to them, install high intensity headlights without adjusting due to the lift then tint their windows so other peoples lights don’t bother them and then drive their trucks as if they are formula one cars and they are Dale Earnhardt, The Intimidator. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ford likes horse names. But there’s only so many breeds the non horse public understands. Obviously they couldn’t call it an Arabian. Or a Morgan. Certainly not a Percheron. :lol:

MAVERICK is an unbranded bovine!!

Archived