The new Ford Maverick

Utah Bob #35998

I think I like it. What do y’all think?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder...

How much aluminum (or as the other folks, whose main language is English, say: "al-yew-min-E-umm") is this truck composed of?

For me, the jury is still out on an aluminum truck. Why? Cost of body damage repairs; different characteristics than steel. 

I am old school. That's not an apology. 

The original "Maverick", was not a pickup, but a cheap P.O.S. two door sedan. 

It is not a bad looking truck. Never-the-less, nothing stands out enough to warrant me buying one.

I guess, instead of defibrillator, I can always go on the truck dealership lot, and get sticker shock. 

I need to do some more research on this.  

Thanks for the head's up. 

Stock FWD with a CVT. Subaru has mastered the CVT but other manufacturers have had challenges. I would need to wait and see if they had problems like Nissan did with theirs. The AWD comes with an 8 speed, same as the Hyundai Santa Cruz. No low range, so limiting for those who enjoy getting out off the beaten path. I know, not exactly what it is meant for, and those who want something more capable will be told to go to the Ranger or some other, more expensive platform. Still, there will be comparisons and expectations.

Think I still prefer body on frame with a low range, even though it means more cost and less fuel efficiency, but I definitely see a place for it and the Santa Cruz.

Oh, and I happened to like the looks of the old Mavericks. A friend had one of the Grabber Mavericks with the 302. Not a bad mover for the time. Godawful plaid interior as I recall though.

Ford delivers its take on the Honda Ridgeline.

SUV with a birth defect!

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Shouldn't it be called a Ranchero?

A Ranchero was a car with an open trunk. :lol:

I would certainly not get rid of my big truck. But I see where this could replace and be more versatile than a car.

The car editor in the Wall Street Journal gave it positive review last weekend. I think it could fill the niche that Toyota and Datsun did back in the ‘80s with their small pickups. 

Honestly, I don’t understand the appeal of the $60-$80,000 behemoths that line the streets of my area. I rarely see one hauling more than a few bags of grass seed, fertilizer and a lawn mower. The cabs have gotten huge and luxurious at the expense of bed size. I could put a lot more in the bed of a standard US pickup like I drove back in the 70s & 80s. And they were less expensive relative to cars back then too. It’s more about image these days  than utility. 

Good for Ford. I hope they’re successful. 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, JD Lud said:

Look at it this way…it’s cheaper than many utility vehicles….seems quite versatile and economical. 

About half the price  of a Toyota Tacoma that I've been eyeing....and that isn't available at this time.

A full out Tacoma set up with all the bells and whistles, large six engine, 4wd, and off road crap now lists at $63,000.00....half of what I bought my house for just seven short years ago.

What is the "hybrid" engine on this Ford?

58 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

About alf the price  of a Toyota Tacoma that I've been eyeing....and that isn't available at this time.

A full out Tacoma set up with all the bells and whistles, large six engine, 4wd, and off road crap now lists ay $63,000.00....half of what I bought my house for just seven short years ago.

2.5L engine with in house motors.  Built on the escape platform with better motors, more like the Mustang or Tesla motors.

Trucks are expensive because it seems everybody wants one. Nearly everyone I know that owns a truck here in Granola land never uses them as “trucks”. Here the truck has become a sort of status symbol. 

My son-in-law was interested in one of these Mavericks. I am not sure why Ford picked that name, seems odd to me. I may look at one next model year after I move away from here. CA will not get one big dime from me on sales taxes, fees or anything else, if I can help it. 

I am wondering if Ford will do the same $&@# they have been doing with attaching an MSRP then marking up the sales prices at the dealers like have been found with their very “Womanly” (not manly) Bronco. 
Now there’s a limp-wristler’s machine right there. Looks like a Jeep Renegade had sex with a Land Rover Discovery… 

I have two friends that have them on order. One got one fully loaded for around 30k!!

I may look into one myself nice looking truck!

I suppose if your lawn mower is not too heavy and you aren't planning on towing anything, this truck might work for you.  I do like the 40 mpg.  My 2015 F-150 has the aluminum body and it has been trouble free.  Of course, I haven't hit anything with it yet.  I still have a 6,000 lb camper so I guess I'll keep my F-150.  

I wonder how much an aluminum unibody baby pickup in the Lariat package would run?

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am wondering if Ford will do the same $&@# they have been doing with attaching an MSRP then marking up the sales prices at the dealers like have been found with their very “Womanly” (not manly) Bronco. 
Now there’s a limp-wristler’s machine right there. Looks like a Jeep Renegade had sex with a Land Rover Discovery… 

I'm assuming you mean the Bronco Sport. The Bronco looks like a throwback to the old first gen Bronco, and by all I have been reading and watching, is geared directly as competition for the Jeep Wrangler.

For a couple, or small family, shopping for a replacement car with extremely light hauling capabilities, it would be an option.  I don't see it replacing my idea of a truck.  I really like the fuel efficiency, and the thought of traveling with such.  

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

About alf the price  of a Toyota Tacoma that I've been eyeing....and that isn't available at this time.

A full out Tacoma set up with all the bells and whistles, large six engine, 4wd, and off road crap now lists ay $63,000.00....half of what I bought my house for just seven short years ago.

It might do well with the crowd who wants a trucks and can’t afford a 1/2 ton.   Most of the people I know who have half tons paid $50k +.   
I recently got a Tacoma as it’s one of only 2 trucks left that come with a manual 6 speed.  You can get a decent one, 4x4 for high $30’s provided you don’t need leather or heated seats.  That adds about $4-5k.  Sad thing is, that same truck cost $22k back around 2000.  Almost doubled in 20 years.  

38 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

It might do well with the crowd who wants a trucks and can’t afford a 1/2 ton.   Most of the people I know who have half tons paid $50k +.   
I recently got a Tacoma as it’s one of only 2 trucks left that come with a manual 6 speed.  You can get a decent one, 4x4 for high $30’s provided you don’t need leather or heated seats.  That adds about $4-5k.  Sad thing is, that same truck cost $22k back around 2000.  Almost doubled in 20 years.  

And I would still prefer something like the ‘82 Toyota 4x4 with 22R four cylinder and manual trans like I had in law school 

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm assuming you mean the Bronco Sport. The Bronco looks like a throwback to the old first gen Bronco, and by all I have been reading and watching, is geared directly as competition for the Jeep Wrangler.

Perhaps. That's all I see around here.

well 42 in town , and 33 hwy , makes me think it will not get out of its own way 

as to the hair dryer powered , larger motor , , think it needs a V8 

front wheel drive has NO place in a truck , that is expected to pull anyhing bigger than a lawn trailer 

CB 

thinking I need to get the 76 back out , 460 with an over built C6 trans , 

22 minutes ago, DocWard said:

And I would still prefer something like the ‘82 Toyota 4x4 with 22R four cylinder and manual trans like I had in law school 

I had an 89, while it was fun, the new truck is so much nicer is all aspects.   It can even hold highway speeds up a big hill, something the 22re couldn’t do.  The one thing I do miss is a lever to shift the transfer case.   Now it’s a knob, which I assume activates a solenoid to actually shift the transfer case. 

10 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

front wheel drive has NO place in a truck , that is expected to pull anyhing bigger than a lawn trailer 

A lot of people have no need to pull anything much larger than that.  So why spend $80,000 on a behemoth that is 8 feet tall, has 20" wheels, and can tow 60,000 pounds through mud 4 feet deep?

I like the looks of the truck, price is okay, gas milage is great but....

I don't like front wheel drive and yes, I know it has all wheel drive also. AWD on 100% of the time just seems unnecessary and prone to premature failure.

I don't buy new cars often, more like once in my life but I sure as hell don't want the 1st year production model.

I remember the original Maverick.  It was awful.  A cheapened up Mustang.  I would rather have plastic panels than aluminum, however you pronounce it.  Have a dent?  Heat it up and push it out.  More tear resistant than aluminum.  Sure, paint doesn't stick to it as well as metal but get in mold color and it is that color even if you scratch it or scrape it.

I looked at the new GMs a couple months back for grins and giggles.  Get this, the "standard" engine for the full sized truck is a turbo 4 cylinder.  The 8 cylinder is an upgrade option.  The salesman, (bless his heart, a young kid) was trying to tell me that it has blah, blah towing capacity and can haul blah, blah.  I said that was a lot to ask of a little engine.

I still like my 3/4 ton diesels.  Hauls what I want, moves snow and the rumble makes me feel warm and fuzzy.  Arr, arr, arr.

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

2.5L engine with in house motors.  Built on the escape platform with better motors, more like the Mustang or Tesla motors.

I have no idea what you just told me.  "In-house"?  "Escape platform"?  "Motors"?  Are these electric or gasoline or diesel engines?

Can I still buy a small truck with a gasoline engine?

The last load of gravel I hauled in Ol’ Green was four and a half tons of crusher run. Twenty-five miles at interstate speeds, no issues and I used a gallon and a quarter of regular gas.

No note, liability insurance, air conditioned comfort, and I didn’t worry about any failures!

387,000 miles!!

It makes its trips without complaint, carries what I load on it, tows what I hook to it, stops safely, and I can use it on date night too!!

It will also run more than double the speed limit, and it has embarrassed more than a few sports compacts and pony cars on twisty roads.  Six big radial tires stick to the road pretty good!

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

Shouldn't it be called a Ranchero?

Nope. A Ranchero was made from a 2 door station wagon. here is my Ranchero.

Ranchero 1.jpg

Rancho.jpg

Ranchero 3.jpg

Ranchero  351.jpg

Archived