SASS Wire Forum

Silage

Buckshot Bear

With all the rain its been an absolute bumper start to summer (La Niña) for the farmers for cutting silage, they are getting a lot of cuts.

The 30k drive into town from home there's literally thousands of bails being bailed up and stacked.

Can't remember when the district had it so good, I think it was in the '90's.

1.thumb.jpg.4a75f3c6fe93db074d05f54a0876a514.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.81ba328df26159cfe8f7ae2bbdee0089.jpg

We had the opposite this year. Lots of farmers lost their crops. We’re in a severe drought. Hoping for lots of snow this winter.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The 30k drive into town

You had to drive 30,000 miles to get into town?  Australia is even bigger than I thought.

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

When the hell are you good ol' boys gonna get metricated :) 

About the same time you blokes start driving on the right (i.e., correct) side of the road.

Hey BB we don't bale "silage" up here we bale hay. Silage is usually corn (the entire plant) chopped and piled and then covered with a water proof cover so it ferments. This is done with mature but still growing plants.

kR

PS cows like it almost as much as Aussies like beer and/or vegimite.

During Prohibition, farmers would stack gallon glass jugs in their silo with the lids loose.
Silage liquor would accumulate deep enough to crowd in through the threads on the loose lids.

Farmers would have jugs of fermented, alcoholic tipple.

Silage liquor, often considered a waste product, sometimes mixed with ground feed and dumped in pigs' feed troughs.

Pigs also like second hand moonshine mash after it's distilled but that's another subject entirely.

18 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

During Prohibition, farmers would stack gallon glass jugs in their silo with the lids loose.
Silage liquor would accumulate deep enough to crowd in through the threads on the loose lids.

Farmers would have jugs of fermented, alcoholic tipple.

Silage liquor, often considered a waste product, sometimes mixed with ground feed and dumped in pigs' feed troughs.

Pigs also like second hand moonshine mash after it's distilled but that's another subject entirely.

....... pickled pork ....... B)

On 12/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

With all the rain its been an absolute bumper start to summer (La Niña) for the farmers for cutting silage, they are getting a lot of cuts.

The 30k drive into town from home there's literally thousands of bails being bailed up and stacked.

Can't remember when the district had it so good, I think it was in the '90's.

1.thumb.jpg.4a75f3c6fe93db074d05f54a0876a514.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.81ba328df26159cfe8f7ae2bbdee0089.jpg

Wow! A giant marshmallow farm.

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You had to drive 30,000 miles to get into town?  Australia is even bigger than I thought.

I assume he left the m off km.

JHC :P

14 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Hey BB we don't bale "silage" up here we bale hay. Silage is usually corn (the entire plant) chopped and piled and then covered with a water proof cover so it ferments. This is done with mature but still growing plants.

kR

PS cows like it almost as much as Aussies like beer and/or vegimite.

..... we have done "corn silage" ..... but only once  :(

the baling machine can also bale hay, but we don't wrap it.

depending on the condition and, sometimes composition, of the crop, it is usually cut, raked, baled and wrapped on the same day.

hay will be a lot dryer before the baler gets on the paddock.

with the little moisture in the crop being wrapped up like this the fermentation process runs it's own pace and as you said the livestock love it.:wub:

During our last flood a lot of these things were washed into the river and were floating on their way to New Zealand.  :unsure:

Archived