SASS Wire Forum

Snub Barrels for Open Tops ?

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

16 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

4 3/4" is the shortest factory barrel for the OT's.  I'm sure Coffinmaker will show up and tell you how easy and satisfying it is to chop a barrel. :D

Yeah it would be if HE did it I’m sure lol. Me, not so much.

easy... mark them barrels at about 5" and hacksaw them.  Then recut to try and straighten the cut several times, along with many visits with a file.  By the time you get the cuts nice and perpendicular to the bore, you should be down to the 3" you are after!  :D

7 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

easy... mark them barrels at about 5" and hacksaw them.  Then recut to try and straighten the cut several times, along with many visits with a file.  By the time you get the cuts nice and perpendicular to the bore, you should be down to the 3" you are after!  :D

ROFLMAO

Don't forget you'll have to give up the ejector rod. I could live with the loss of the loading lever on a C&B pistol, but not the ejector rod on a cartridge gun. Too much fumbling at the unloading table for my taste. Of course, YMMV. I like Bruce's solution of extra barrels.

Somebody holler my name???  Coulda swore I heard my name called.

Ninety Caliber Al,  

I've a pair of 3" barrels I made for my Open Tops.  Not using them these days.  .38/357 bore, Dovetail Front sights.  I think I even have a box the right size to fit both of 'em in.  $165 for the pair, shipped.

If your interested, PM me with your mailing particulars and I tell ya where to send the Gold.

17 hours ago, Yank_MaChain said:

I cut mine down to 3 1/2" before I ever shot them.

I take the cylinders out to load them, which is in my opinion is much easier.

IMG-3145.JPG

Great custom work.  

Is there a source for just the spurs?  I hate to spend the money for SBH hammers just to get the spurs.

The spur on this Rogers and Spencer is WAY too far away for cocking with one hand.

1620931931_RogersandSpencerDec2021.jpg.61b2584dc9024e42603072039b0249e8.jpg

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Great custom work.  

Is there a source for just the spurs?  I hate to spend the money for SBH hammers just to get the spurs.

The spur on this Rogers and Spencer is WAY too far away for cocking with one hand.

1620931931_RogersandSpencerDec2021.jpg.61b2584dc9024e42603072039b0249e8.jpg

Thanks!

I don't know of any... I ended up cutting off the spurs on the SBH hammers.

Spur.JPG

6 hours ago, Yank_MaChain said:

Thanks!

I don't know of any... I ended up cutting off the spurs on the SBH hammers.

Spur.JPG

Thanks,  

BTW, One thing I've figured out - when trying to position two small irregular parts to weld, I use plumbers putty.  It'll hold the parts in position until tack welded.  The putty will crumble away from heat.  Clean up and complete weld. 

I have used a variety of rare earth magnets in the past to tack weld small parts and it has worked well. Keep in mind that the heat will de-magnetize the magnet. I will have to give the putty a try.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived