SASS Wire Forum

Uberti cattleman shortstroke

Major Crimes

My Uberti SAA short stroke is occasionally over cocking.

It will work fine for 5 or 6 stages and then it will just randomly start over cocking and so not firing. 

By over cocking I mean the hammer goes back further than it should and so the chamber is not aligned with the barrel and when you fire the firing pin hits the case rim and not the centre (the primer). 

Any thoughts?

I am going to strip it down and check the bolt and hand but I cant think why it would work ok for a while and then start going wonky?

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Also check the "bolt holes" on the cylinder, if they're tight remember what happens when they warm up a bit ....

....... where the hell have you been ?

:ph34r:

Will check that to.

I was overseas doing Army stuff for six months.

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Just admit your a dang gamer.....

Guilty as charged.

I stripped it right down and gave it a good clean. it was pretty TB dirty in the hand area so hopefully that may help?

I was even lucky enough not to lose the spring I wasn't expecting on the pin that keeps the pressure on the hand:rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

I was even lucky enough not to lose the spring I wasn't expecting on the pin that keeps the pressure on the hand:rolleyes:

Obviously a rookie mistake. You'll lose it next time. :D

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If it keeps on happening, you could replace the hand and coil spring with a more traditional one with a flat spring.  It's possible the coil spring isn't putting enough pressure on the hand.

That wouldn't help. The cylinder is rotating, it's not being stopped. The bolt spring does that.

IMG_1620.JPG?v=1540859357

16 hours ago, Hendo said:

Obviously a rookie mistake. You'll lose it next time. :D

The particular piece of spring steel to which you refer is known as the "Jesus Spring."
Such pieces parts are why I painted our brand new basement, walls and floor, WHITE.
When you're carefully disassembling and something goes sproing! and flies off to parts unknown, you yell "Jee-zuss!" -- and that part is known, therefore, as the Jesus spring.

(Lecture on camouflage omitted, save only to note that the variegated coloration of a concrete floor makes the perfect patternless pattern to utterly hide springs, screws, and small parts ... the random, color-change pattern of bare concrete perfectly breaks their visual signature!)
Wiser heads than mine put me wise to laying down a flashlight on the floor, shooting the beam across it ... on a white floor especially, the shadow stands out fast and noticeably!

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

The particular piece of spring steel to which you refer is known as the "Jesus Spring."
Such pieces parts are why I painted our brand new basement, walls and floor, WHITE.
When you're carefully disassembling and something goes sproing! and flies off to parts unknown, you yell "Jee-zuss!" -- and that part is known, therefore, as the Jesus spring.

(Lecture on camouflage omitted, save only to note that the variegated coloration of a concrete floor makes the perfect patternless pattern to utterly hide springs, screws, and small parts ... the random, color-change pattern of bare concrete perfectly breaks their visual signature!)
Wiser heads than mine put me wise to laying down a flashlight on the floor, shooting the beam across it ... on a white floor especially, the shadow stands out fast and noticeably!

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That wouldn't help. The cylinder is rotating, it's not being stopped. The bolt spring does that.

IMG_1620.JPG?v=1540859357

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Luckily I have spare screws but I dont have any springs.

VTI arent shipping to Australia at the moment but once things settle down and flights (and mail) get closer to normal I will get some in and try changing them.

On 12/15/2021 at 3:59 AM, Major Crimes said:

My Uberti SAA short stroke is occasionally over cocking.

It will work fine for 5 or 6 stages and then it will just randomly start over cocking and so not firing. 

By over cocking I mean the hammer goes back further than it should and so the chamber is not aligned with the barrel and when you fire the firing pin hits the case rim and not the centre (the primer). 

Any thoughts?

I am going to strip it down and check the bolt and hand but I cant think why it would work ok for a while and then start going wonky?

I believe my pistols were doing the same thing.

Worn parts. Over tuned (IMHO) 

We changed arms, heavy springs back in.

Hope this helps.

(Actually went farther and asked Col Lou of Colonel Lou Guns, to pretty much restore all inner works, including firing pins.)

The bolt/trigger spring is easy to inspect.  Initially just take out the cylinder and push on the top of the bolt.  Does it feel "springy" or has it lost tension.  If it feels funny take it out and look to see if it is cracked.

Archived