SASS Wire Forum

To the British

sassnetguy50

I watch a bunch of British tv, I use CC most of the time. Even seen characters look for someone to translate for them

One day, I got on a bus in the village of Lytham-St Annes, heading to Blackpool.

I tried for what seemed to be about 4 minutes to understand what the driver was saying about the cost of the trip.

I finally started handing him coins and told him to tell me when to stop.

I don't know where he wasn't from originally, he certainly wasn't local to Lancashire.

He could understand me perfectly, I just couldn't penetrate his accent.

In many subsequent visits to England, Wales and Scotland, I never had anywhere near that difficulty in understanding.

6 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

One day, I got on a bus in the village of Lytham-St Annes, heading to Blackpool.

I tried for what seemed to be about 4 minutes to understand what the driver was saying about the cost of the trip.

I finally started handing him coins and told him to tell me when to stop.

I don't know where he wasn't from originally, he certainly wasn't local to Lancashire.

He could understand me perfectly, I just couldn't penetrate his accent.

In many subsequent visits to England, Wales and Scotland, I never had anywhere near that difficulty in understanding.

I remember that.  I also remember watching Patricia struggle with the local dialects.  There were always those one or two who must have come from somewhere really remote.  Cutting my teeth on the Lankies was a great help in learning to understand the Scot's, but I'll admit that while I reacquire my understanding of their dialects fairly fast, even Gerald has stumped me a bit.  Most times I can get about 50% of what he says, I think I'd need days of immersion to really get it. 

My real badge of honor was sitting in a design review of a radar display, listening to a Scotsman telling the rest of the Brits in the room how to read the symbology on the screen, and while to me it made perfect sense, the other folks (mostly from London area) were continuously asking "Beg pardon", "Excuse me, could you repeat that", etc.

I felt like I'd just pulled one over them without trying.

Miss that time and place . . . .

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

Of course the internet has the answer! :rolleyes:

I have to say though, that when I had time to listen closely I could follow about half of what he was saying, and if I spent more time around him I'd figure it all out.  Unlike Welsh, which sounds like it out to make sense but doesn't quite.

4 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I have to say though, that when I had time to listen closely I could follow about half of what he was saying, and if I spent more time around him I'd figure it all out.  Unlike Welsh, which sounds like it out to make sense but doesn't quite.

I still think that the Welsh just string consonants together at random and claim it's the proper spelling to get back at the English for conquering them back in the day.

Don't see why they wouldn't use subtitles.

If National Geographic saw the need to subtitle a guy native to Cuthbert, GA (in their Hogzilla special back several years ago), then the BBC can use them for the more obscure English, Scottish and Welsh accents, too.

Archived