SASS Wire Forum

South Paw Shiloh Sharps coming up in auction.

Cholla

I was going to bid on this until I saw it was made for a south paw. I assume we have some south paw shooters that are interested. I am glad I spotted it in time before bidding!

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-5BC6HJ/shiloh-sharps-1874-45-70-cal-single-shot-rifle-30-octagon-barrel-black-powder

This is what I am going on. The cheek rest is on the right side. Every rifle I have that has a cheek rest, it's on the left side.

image.thumb.png.853a54785dad254386d357f6731f5822.png

image.thumb.png.9a805bb9d29c5dc351741c2f719044a5.png

This one is on GB and is for a right-hand shooter but it is a PP chamber. It has the cheek rest on the left side like I used to have.

Shiloh Sharps model 1874 45-70 Paper Patch rifle-img-1

That is a great price for a Shiloh Sharps. 

One could always buy it, and later change out the stock to fit a right-handed shooter.

It would, like as not, be cheaper buying this rifle...then replacing the stock, than buying a new one, already set up for the right-handed shooter. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

12 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

That is a great price for a Shiloh Sharps. 

One could always buy it, and later change out the stock to fit a right-handed shooter.

It would, like as not, be cheaper buying this rifle...then replacing the stock, than buying a new one, already set up for the right-handed shooter. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

I was thinking about that. many of the simpler models don't have a cheek rest so it most likely wouldn't matter. But the way my luck has been running lately, I would find out the Farmingdale Sharps had some sort of odd-ball quirk that would require custom fitting and drive the price up $500. And the auction still has 3 days left and I suspect the bidding won't go crazy until the last hour.

A few years ago I purchase a Shiloh that was a lefty. After it sat for sale for an extended time the seller was willing to accept a offer I made. Being right handed I took the rifle to a friend who is a stock maker. He expertly removed the left handed cheek piece. I now have a beautiful 50-70 saddle rifle that that I use for hunting. 

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That stock has been refinished.

Older NY made Shiloh. 

OLG 

I noticed the "wet" look. I can't tell if someone rubbed furniture polish on it or coated it with a hard wood finish.

I also see file marks on the forearm. These are all things that make me go hmmm...

image.png.f89dfeaebc184ac579ee2bdee0a789e2.png

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

I noticed the "wet" look. I can't tell if someone rubbed furniture polish on it or coated it with a hard wood finish.

I also see file marks on the forearm. These are all things that make me go hmmm...

image.png.f89dfeaebc184ac579ee2bdee0a789e2.png

Having spent some time in the online firearms auction business (10 years with a pawn chain) - I will guess the "wet look shine" is a generous wipe down with a WD-40 soaked rag just prior to taking the pictures.

With quality camera equipment and lighting; fingerprints jump off the screen and detract from the photos.  My camera operators had WD40 wet rags that they wiped down every gun surface (wood, metal or plastic) just before taking the pictures.

This ensured no fingerprints and a consistent shine.

And being WD40 - a light application didn't stain or damage anything (gun, box interiors when re-packaged or the photo background platform) and since it wasn't sprayed into the interior workings - no gum up concerns.

I still use a WD40 soaked rag at the gunshop for wipedowns when putting guns away after handling.

56 minutes ago, Macs69 said:

Thanks for posting the link to this one, Cholla. I'm blessed/cursed with being right handed, but left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed. I've been jonesing for a Shiloh Sharps, and this odd duck is perfect for me with the left cheekpiece! I actually found your post googling "Shiloh Sharps left cheek piece" looking for this very thing. 

If I get it, I'll send you a nice bottle of whiskey as a thank you. 

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/M-SHILOH-RIFLE-MANUFACTURING-CO-SHARPS-SINGLE-SHOT-RIFLE/lotInformation/64976909#topoflot

It goes up in one hour... Also a south paw.

7 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Horseshoe rasp, sandpaper, Tru-Oil and the cheek piece is gone

I was hoping I could put it in a vice and make it pop out on the other side. With my luck it would pop out in the wrist area.

• 2 weeks later...

Before buying a new stock for a righty I'd build up a checkpiece on the left side of that one. 

( I know people cheaper than me . . well . . .one for sure, though it's been years since I saw him, and he was older than me, hmmm)

btw; I know of an inexpensive left handed Rem 700 in 7mm magnum in case anyone is interested.

Archived