SASS Wire Forum

Range Tactical Gear

Hoss

Just ordered a cart from Range Tactical Gear.  It looks to have some advantages over a Rugged Gear cart. I selected the 5 gun Cowboy Gun Slinger model. I’m looking forward to getting it in and set up. I’ll give a full range report after trying it out.  if anybody has any tips on them let me know! 

http://www.rangetacticalgear.com/

OLG, I have the three gun cart and by putting the heavy stuff at the rear I find it much easier to steer than my Rugged Gear and more stable on slopes.  Granted if you weigh it down it front it will be hard to steer.

6 minutes ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

OLG, I have the three gun cart and by putting the heavy stuff at the rear I find it much easier to steer than my Rugged Gear and more stable on slopes.  Granted if you weigh it down it front it will be hard to steer.

How well does that work in desert sand/silt?

OLG 

Shanley Shooter has one of these and he is very happy with it. They are in New Mexico so they spend alot of time in Sand/silt. Range Tactical will also be a sponsor/vendor with us at EOT.  PS: my rugged gear in Sand/Silt is almost impossible.

I bought the basic three gun cowboy cart.  My Rugged Gear was starting to shred a bit.  I had a brand new one in the shed and when I took it out the rats or some desert vermin had eaten it.  So I thought I would try one of these all alumium carts.  Folds flat, easy to get in and out of the car and weighs less than the Rugged Gear.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.e380092530317b2dd3e5c876278f1b45.jpeg

DSC_0004.thumb.jpeg.854ea3e381b307124cb441fc2cc17283.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I bought the basic three gun cowboy cart.  My Rugged Gear was starting to shred a bit.  I had a brand new one in the shed and when I took it out the rats or some desert vermin had eaten it.  So I thought I would try one of these all alumium carts.  Folds flat, easy to get in and out of the car and weighs less than the Rugged Gear.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.e380092530317b2dd3e5c876278f1b45.jpeg

DSC_0004.thumb.jpeg.854ea3e381b307124cb441fc2cc17283.jpeg

Do they make a 4 gun version? 

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How well does that work in desert sand/silt?

OLG 

I have had mine in AZ for the last 2 winters. It steers fine. Just push down on the handle and lift the front wheels like a lawnmower.  It is much heavier duty than a rugged gear.  Nothing to break

2 hours ago, MBFields said:

Shanley Shooter has one of these and he is very happy with it. They are in New Mexico so they spend alot of time in Sand/silt. Range Tactical will also be a sponsor/vendor with us at EOT.  PS: my rugged gear in Sand/Silt is almost impossible.

Yup. We love ours.

I have not used my 'own' cart since buying our 5 gun cart.

I will have Shanley post photos of our set up later on this evening.

Does it 'turn'? Nope...but a little pressure on the handle to raise the front to give it a 'pivot' is not that difficult.

We spoke to the vendor on that and they have tried a few things to find a way to steer it...but so far the attempts have caused it to be less stable.

Hey Hoss...here is a photo of our set up.

We had a collapsable ottoman that we put in front to sit on...but it wasn't tall enough for Shanley. It held all our leather, ect.

He built a wooden box that fits perfectly with a base he built on front...padded and storage space galore. Comes up easy and fits in back seat of the car/truck.

We have 2 of the old wooden cleaning boxes Winchester used to make on top shelve. Nice to not have to bend over to get loaded up. We have seperate his/hers to hold 6 stages of ammo plus glasses, plugs, ect.

They fit perfectly on their own, and easily lifted off.

We also fitted Brisco's pistol block to adapt to the flat part below the handle.

Shanley screwed in a couple toggle screws into the side of the pistol block, and they easily screw on and off the 'arm' of the cart.

I truely don't see us getting another.

I am not saying Rugged Gear is not great. Many use and love them. Helps folks with less mobility an easier passage from stage to stage.

I love the many wooden carts, the designs and the whimsy of some.

I love Yul Lose's works of art....if I owned one, it would be in a part of the main room as everyday furnishing!

Doc Rankin (NM) built an awesome Wells Fargo adaption with beautiful wood for his cart, using a stripped down jogging stroller.

I am happy we now have this new vendor, as Shanley has started PCC, and the cart works for more than Cowboy!

Screenshot_20211214-164643_Gallery.jpg

I just swapped over to one from a Rugged Gear.  Much more robust than a RG.  Yes it steers like a lawnmower, but it much more fun to push than a lawnmower.  I like the “lawnmower steer”, I can make it go where I want.  My RG sometimes had a mind of it own and went where it wanted.  
It is all metal, no plastic except for the wheels.  When it gets wet it does not saturate and stay wet for a day.  Very modular, parts if they break are bolt on from the factory. 
“Field Repair” if required is nuts and bolts from the local hardware store. 
The only thing I have done to mine is put rubber tool box drawer liner on the bottom and top shelf and plasti dip the gun belt hanger.  

I have a 4 gun model. I also shoot trap and they have adapters that will go on either side of the cart for muzzle down

Archived