SASS Wire Forum

Custom grips for SAA?

portugeejn

I was finally able to purchase a real Colt SAA and would like to replace the factory grips with some one-piece wood grips, figured black walnut or figured walnut of some kind.  It deserves to have something special on it.

Who is the best option for something like this?  All advice considered and appreciated.  Thanks.

Portugee John 

Altamont, Eagle and Ajax are good starting places too.

4 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Tom Sargis at Bozeman Trail Arms up in Montana. He does all of Mike Venturino's guns.

Not all. MLV has had Bill Fuchs do some here lately. He posts photos on the coltforum.

35 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Some more of Bill Fuchs handiwork. 

1080125033_BillFuchsbirdheadDec2021.thumb.jpg.304f4eaf53bb1628c30886fdccfdfc83.jpg

Rebuild old derelict,  refinished,  changed caliber,   altered grip frame to birdshead,  one-piece grips. Low hammer. 

2078949727_BillFuchscustondec2021.thumb.jpg.5d2712faef86fb7e5b8dcfee5b3d2e12.jpg

I think this was an old custom that he refinished and made new grips. 

That looks like something from the King Gunworks in San Francisco in the 30s.

You may want to check into giraffe bone. It has the look of ivory without the regulation and expense. Jim Martin has made beautiful mesquite root grips and fiddleback maple grips in the past but sadly Jim has hung up his carving tools and only does action jobs when he takes the notion.

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/jim-martins-fiddleback-maple-grips.389525/#post-3350515

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/opinions-please-giraffe-bone-vs-stag-antler-vs-buffalo-grips.350273/

130.JPG

Congrats on the Colt!!! I was lucky enough to land one or two this year myself. MD grips here in TN did some fine work with one piece giraffe bone for mine. He also does wood. I would give him a shout great guy and very good pricing. I was lucky enough to pick up this pair recently carved mop. Screenshot_20211212-162348_Chrome.thumb.jpg.69b4a952138a83a4c64f7f75e294f928.jpg

Joe Perkins Tucson AZ   incredible work!!!!!!  classicsingleaction.com

Archived