SASS Wire Forum

Advice Needed - DIY Action Job (Basic) on Uberti '73 Rifle

Buckshot Bear

G'day Pards,

I've shot 3 matches now and a lot of practice. I thought the Uberti short stroked Competition rifle I'd bought felt pretty good, but a few blokes who have been shooting CAS for a long time mentioned that it felt rough as anything to them. I felt theirs and theirs felt slicker, but I don't feel mine is all that much different....maybe its my inexperience that can't tell the difference.

Anyway, what's the advice from the learned pards. Just keep shooting it or try some easy DIY things to make it feel slicker?

I admit I'm competitive, I do get some adrenaline before the buzzer goes, but its still for me fun first,

Take it apart and clean all lube from the internal parts that you may want to POLISH. Use black magic marker on parts that will rub together. Reassemble and run the lever a half dozen times. Take it back apart and look for places where the magic marker has rubbed off. Those spots are where you will want to polish. Use a very fine automotive finishing cloth probably 800 grit or finer. A small amount of polishing at a time. Clean and reassemble. Repeat if necessary. For lube I use Mobil or Lucas red synthetic grease.

kR

Just a quick shot of Hornady's One Shot into the receiver and on both sides of the carrier after every few stages will make a noticeable difference in levering.  It won't fix the rub spots, but it will smooth the operation amazingly.  Then when you have gotten to know your gun a bit longer and have learned more about it, you can embark on changing and fixing things.  Some small seeming "fixes" and parts replacements can mess things up; particularly if the gun is short stroked.  You do need to know the whole scope of what you are changing.  

I am curious what sort of springs (carrier/lever and main) that Uberti puts in their factory shortstroke rifles.  I would tend to doubt that they have somebody grinding down stock springs, so do they have any thinner stock springs in them or maybe copied the wire springs for carrier/lever?

Archived