SASS Wire Forum

Clays Powder

JohnWesleyHardin

1 hour ago, Chick Bowdrie sass 111302 said:

Never reloaded before but starting to gather all the materials. Roughly how many rounds would 8lbs get you?

7000 grains per pound. At really light loads Clays can be temperature sensitive and in cold weather you may need to up your "normal" load a few 10ths or so or possibly use magnum primers to get satisfactory ignition.

When I used clays powder in my 38's I used about 3.2 grains each (depending on your needs and what bullet you want to use it might be more or less, some use quite a bit less) I used a 125 grain TC bullet. The calculator says 2,187, but real world it will be a little less,  call it about 2,175 rounds per pound

so an 8 pound keg would make about 17,400 rounds. For a medium to high volume shooter about a years worth, maybe less, everybody else a bit longer.

YMMV

Good luck with your shooting!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

9 hours ago, Chick Bowdrie sass 111302 said:

Never reloaded before but starting to gather all the materials. Roughly how many rounds would 8lbs get you?

I load 3gr. Clays behind a 125Gr. TCFP .38 bullet, that works out to approximately 18,666 rounds per 8lb. jug. When I was loading .45 Colt I loaded 4.9gr. Clays behind a 200 gr. bullet, that worked out to approximately 11,428 rounds per 8lb. jug. I normally use magnum primers and store bullets head down so the powder settles on the primer.

Randy

14 oz  Clays still showing in stock at Brownells.  You can get two.  Some other powders in stock as well so you can split up the hazmat and shipping.

Archived