SASS Wire Forum

WTB Marlin 1894C

Johnny Knight

Morning all,

I managed to get my wife out to a match this month and she really enjoyed herself.  So much so, that she expressed an interest in shooting.  Being on the dainty side, my vaqueros are a bit too heavy for her to shoot comfortably, so I've been tracking down recommendations for options for her on the wire.  That led to picking up a Ruger Single Six in the 32 H&R.  After loading up some rounds and heading to the range, she enjoyed shooting the pistol, so now I'll track down a second pistol.  If possible, I'd like to pick up a rifle in the same caliber for her.  Based on the same previous recommendations, it seems the Marlin 1894CB is the go to choice for this caliber.  Being lighter than a 73, it seems a good choice.  From a bit of looking around online, they seem to be pretty hard to come by, so I thought I would ask if anyone here has one they would be willing to part with.  Any other recommendations would also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

IMHO It’ll probably easier to find a rifle in .38, especially a Marlin.  

This plus I would suspect the difference in weight of Marlin rifles in 38 vs 32 would be negligible if any. It’s already super light vs 73. 

I weighed them once. And now I can't find the weights. As I remember of all my marlins the 32 H&R in the cowboy was about a half a pound heavier than in the 45. The outside dimensions of the barrels are the same but the bore is smaller, more steel. And the H&R has the loading tube in the magazine.

Keep in mind round barrels are lighter than octagonal. So a round barrel in 38 would be about right.

But the 32 is a sweet shooter.

JFN

Also…the Marlin in 32 H&R magnum were only made for 2 years…and only 600 were made. They are hard to find and pricey when you do. My grandson shoots a pair of Ruger 32’s and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy  in 38 special. I load a 100 grain bullet in the 32’s and  a 105 or 110 grain in the 38’s for him.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.  Trying to make sure I'm following the suggestions.  From links I've seen the .357 carbine (18.5" barrel) only holds 9+1?  Is there a 38 that holds 10?  If so, assuming that has a 20" barrel length or does the slight difference in 38 allow the extra round?

Johnny

15 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.  Trying to make sure I'm following the suggestions.  From links I've seen the .357 carbine (18.5" barrel) only holds 9+1?  Is there a 38 that holds 10?  If so, assuming that has a 20" barrel length or does the slight difference in 38 allow the extra round?

Johnny

It will probably depend on the individual gun and cartridge load OAL.

3 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Johnny

Best person to ask is @Widder, SASS #59054, he’s got a lot of experience with Marlins and he’s very helpful. 

The front sight on the old 1894-C is the correct height for hot 357s. You will need to change it out for a higher front sight for our 38 cowboy loads. I remember I called Marlin back then and told them my problem and they sent me the correct one for free

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.  Looking like Three Foot Johnson has a gun that will work, a JM stamped Marlin in .357.  Must have been fate, since I sorted through the brass this morning and found I already had a couple hundred .38 rounds polished with primers in them in the reloading inventory.  Couple that with winning a box of 125 gr bullets at the club meet raffle this month and I should be all set.  One question I wanted to ask, is how much is it an issue to shoot the .38 cartridges in the rifle?  I know they will work as the gun is chambered for it, but the suggestion I've heard is to use the .357 brass to avoid lead buildup in the chamber due to the extra 1/8".  How much is that really a problem, and is there a recommended routine for addressing it?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Johnny

20 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.  Looking like Three Foot Johnson has a gun that will work, a JM stamped Marlin in .357.  Must have been fate, since I sorted through the brass this morning and found I already had a couple hundred .38 rounds polished with primers in them in the reloading inventory.  Couple that with winning a box of 125 gr bullets at the club meet raffle this month and I should be all set.  One question I wanted to ask, is how much is it an issue to shoot the .38 cartridges in the rifle?  I know they will work as the gun is chambered for it, but the suggestion I've heard is to use the .357 brass to avoid lead buildup in the chamber due to the extra 1/8".  How much is that really a problem, and is there a recommended routine for addressing it?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Johnny

I would guesstimate that 90% or more of us with .357 rifles shoot 38’s. Supposedly different rifles prefer slightly different over all lengths but 38 nonetheless. Experiment with different overall lengths to see if you find a sweet spot. I definitely load longer than standard 38 oal. 

1 hour ago, El Catorce said:

I would guesstimate that 90% or more of us with .357 rifles shoot 38’s. Supposedly different rifles prefer slightly different over all lengths but 38 nonetheless. Experiment with different overall lengths to see if you find a sweet spot. I definitely load longer than standard 38 oal. 

^^ THIS ^^ In general small caliber Marlins are very touchy about OAL.  I can’t tell you which is better .357 vs .38 for lead buildup, but most pards are using .38’s.  If it was me in order to save primers and powder I’d use some brass without powder or primer and seat them at 1 ½ inch OAL and see how they feed, then adjust OAL from there until you find the sweet spot.  You may waste 10 bullets but it’s cheaper than powder or primers.  IMHO

2 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll load up some different lengths for when the gun gets in, but any suggestions for a starting oal loading 38 125 grain for the Marlin 1894?

Johnny

Try 1.45-1.47 then adjust up or down 

hodgdon_2002_blackpowder_reloaders_manual.pdf

On 12/13/2021 at 10:33 PM, Johnny Knight said:

Johnny

My 1894C holds nine 357s and ten 38s. I use a 140g TC bullet seated to the top of the crimp groove. Getting the tenth round in needs some effort, but it fits. No issues with cycling. The 38 spl only 1894 cowboy comp with 20" barrel hold the same ten 38s with less effort getting all ten in.

JC

Archived