SASS Wire Forum

Dryer Sheets in Case Tumbler

Buckshot Bear

I use a paper towel wetted with Nu Finish liquid car wax cut up into small pieces. Seems to grab all the dust and leaves a waxy coating on the brass. Seems to stay clean a little better. 

Sam Sackett 

13 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Don't know how anyone came up with the thought of putting dryer sheets in a case tumbler, but jeez it works well!

Used dryer sheets.

Actually, what we call 'dryer sheets' was initially invented by a Cowboy to collect media dust and help clean brass in the Tumbler.

Then somebody decided to try them in a clothes dryer and their popularity soared.

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

..........Widder

I use the dryer sheet pieces too but not on new TREATED media. The sheets can strip out rouge along with other dust. When it's getting dirty and taking longer to give nice results, I use both car polish pretreat and dryer sheet pieces.

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Actually, what we call 'dryer sheets' was initially invented by a Cowboy to collect media dust and help clean brass in the Tumbler.

Then somebody decided to try them in a clothes dryer and their popularity soared.

..........Widder

Yep, your correct! We all like that fresh, just off the clothesline smell in the morning!

Have always used  used sheets cut in quarters. Never tried new ones.  Will have to give it a try. Maybe less static too.

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Yep, your correct! We all like that fresh, just off the clothesline smell in the morning!

And here I thought I was the only one who liked to walk around the house with an armful of freshly cleaned brass enjoying the springtime fresh smell, just like the commercial shows!! :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I know, you must have read that on the Internet, so it must be true.

1 hour ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I know, you must have read that on the Internet, so it must be true.

Actually, I was the one who said it and it ended up on the internet..... ;)

..........Widder.  (Walkin In A Widder Wonderland)

39 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Autographin' babies and kissin' Wimmin since 1928.

You forgot... 'and slapping jealous husbands and boyfriends'.    :lol:

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Also after decades finally bought an electrical timer I can simply wind from 1 minute to 120 minutes, why it took so long to get one of these I'll never know!

But but... There's no cleaner brass than forgotten overnight ran brass! 

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

My Lyman came with an open top for sorting the shells from the media. I made this perspex top a long time ago to keep the dust from exiting.

20211221_144116.thumb.jpg.7c57021120565d9501cc3b594e602429.jpg

I used a plastic dinner plate for the same purpose.

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

But but... There's no cleaner brass than forgotten overnight ran brass! 

And THAT is why I had to buy a timer!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have long used the (used) dryer sheets in my ancient steam-powered, coin operated "Winchester" vibrating machine to clean (just) the media (ground walnut shells) with good effect.

Used dryer sheets also make cheap shotgun cleaning patches that are excellent for removing plastic "snot" residue.  Lightly wet the bore with cleaner, fold the sheet and place over a "tired" shotgun cleaning brush.

I can't recall who came up with the idea of utilizing dryer sheets for the tumbler and cleaning chores, but Thank You!!!

Archived