SASS Wire Forum

S&W Model 69 5 shot Combat Magnum

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Anyone have one of these? I have been trying to find a Bisley Blackhawk in 44 magnum, but they seem scarce. I am familiar with my daddy's model 29. Think I may opt for a Combat Magnum. This is for an outdoor carry gun and about the most I would load would be a Keith-Thompson style bullet in the 255-265 range.

Of course, I would prefer to find a Bisley Blackhawk with a 5 1/2'' barrel like John Taffin's pictured here:

HMA19-Handloading-2.jpg

The 69 is built on the L frame [586/686] so it takes K/L grips. It will pound the snot out of you with full house 44 mag loads but is great to shoot with 44 Specials. As a hiking/trail gun. it would be super if you are prepared for the recoil.

I have had 3 in my hands over the last few months and did not buy any of them. Not because they were bad revolvers, I just wasn't looking for one at the time although I was curious. Of the 3 I personally inspected they were all superbly designed guns for what they are. And their single action trigger pull was amazingly light and crisp.

There are some excellent reviews on YouTube on these revolvers.

I shot one of the Model 69 .44 magnums and lets just say the recoil was spirited!  For full loads I prefer a 4 inch Redhawk and in a .44 Spcl seek out a Model 696-1, L frame, 5 shot, round butt.  But they are difficult to find.

Bought one sometime back to shoot when I'm too lazy to pick up brass. Decided to make a project gun out of it. Installed Ron Power Hammer and trigger set. Bought Jerry Miculik  video on tuning S&W guns and followed it carefully. It is now very slick dbl action-fun on plate rack and clangers out to 100 yds. Installed Miculk grips (don't really care for them) and put gold dot sight on front.  Shoot 44 spec or mid range 44 mag.  Not a carry gun, just a fun revolver.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Model 69 weight 34.4 ounces. 
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-69

I am sure the recoil is quite lively and invigorating. ;)

Indeed.
My 44 OM Vaquero is 46 oz, and I have yet to shoot full house loads, nor any desire to shoot the same.

Everything is "unobtanium" right now.
I made the mistake of walking away from a #5043 Redhawk in 44 mag, and regretted it ever since.

Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum 5 1/2 “ barrel. Enough said.

I shoot Ruger Bisley's chambered in .475 Linebaugh and .41 mag with 5 1/2 inch barrels.  The Linebaugh has custom grips to help handle the recoil.  It's a good hard shooter for dangerous game.  The .41 is just about perfect for everything else and comfortable to shoot.  Also shoot Blackhawks in .45, pumped up with the Ruger only information again the recoil is manageable and can handle any game.

Lately I've been shooting 44 mag 300 grainers, 45 Colt Buffalo Bore stuff (and other hot 325 grain stuff) and 500 JRH Magnum. I LOVE the big boomers. I read some Max Prasac books and got hooked. A friend just got a Ruger 454 Casull and I ordered ammo for it. :D

The little ole 69 Smith should be fun. I may pick one up for an early Christmas gift to myself. If recoil is obscene, I'll let you know my thoughts.

Maybe my wrists will hate me for this ;) but it's FUN! Gallon water jugs get atomized regularly around here. :o

My son for a graduation from paramedic school, 20+ years ago, wanted a 44M double action revolver.  So, before I bought one I rented at an indoor range a model 29 & a Taurus Raging Bull.  The Taurus was pleasant to shoot compared to the uncompensated model 29.  After i shot a cylinder full in each I choose to burn the remaining 38 rounds in the box out of the Taurus. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, DeaconKC said:

The 69 is built on the L frame [586/686] so it takes K/L grips. It will pound the snot out of you with full house 44 mag loads but is great to shoot with 44 Specials. As a hiking/trail gun. it would be super if you are prepared for the recoil.

We shot one today at an indoor range, I used full 240g loads .....not a pleasant gun to shoot with the bangers...like deacon said, it's a pussycat with 44 special loads...

You guys are making me jones for one of these, I love .44 Special.

.44 Special is a great round.  I have no doubt that this Smith model 69 would pretty much be magic with the Skeeter round.

I used to have the old model Bisley Vaqueros in .44 mag, one 4 5/8 and one 5.5." I used to regularly shoot full power loads in them until getting into CAS. In those days, I would shoot 200-300 rounds and then take them home to reload. I had no tumbler so I didn't let the empties hit the ground.

I would enjoy shooting full power loads in the old Bisley or a 629. Like others said, I think the 69 is better for lighter magnums or specials. YMMV

Archived