SASS Wire Forum

Need new laptop

Chief Rick

Wife needs a new laptop for work (school teacher).

No Apple/Mac products, please.

School relies heavily on Google docs and she uses the variety of M$ Office products.

Other than that - just surfing the internet and watching videos/YouTube.

Built-in DVD player a plus but not required.

Look at Acer.  Low prices, good quality.

I have had good service from both Acer and Lenovo.

Once you get it look at Libre office suite. Freeware that has all the functionality of MS Office, and allows you to save docs in any file extension. 

Used to be open office but Oracle bought that. Was created by college students that were hacked off at the cost of Microsoft products

I bought identical Acer computers 4 years ago for myself and the wife.  Had to replace a hard drive in hers, but otherwise, we're satisfied with them, and the price was good.  

2 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Once you get it look at Libre office suite. Freeware that has all the functionality of MS Office, and allows you to save docs in any file extension. 

Used to be open office but Oracle bought that. Was created by college students that were hacked off at the cost of Microsoft products

I've used Libre Office for several years now and like it. I used to use MS Office, but I got tired of expensive upgrades or the rental version.

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Oracle got that when they bought Sun.  Got rid of it since developing free software was not interesting business.  

9 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Stay away from the bottom end Lenovo's.

I think that goes for bottom end anything, the best Lenovo's are the ones that are marketed to IT departments, they have features like hardware you can replace without voiding your warranty, (including mother boards which Is crazy on a laptop) (at least they did when I was using them a while back).  I've found good deals by buying show room sample laptops at the end of the season.  just be aware that if battery life is important, don't go that route, laptops that are plugged in for a year have bad batteries.

44 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What OS do most have?  I'm still using Windows 7 Pro on my desktop.  Heard so many problems with W10 and W11 that I'm reluctant to go with either.

I have windows 11 on two computers. No problems at all.

Lenovo and Acer. 

17 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Thanks for the lead! Just downloaded this.

14 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I think that goes for bottom end anything, the best Lenovo's are the ones that are marketed to IT departments, they have features like hardware you can replace without voiding your warranty, (including mother boards which Is crazy on a laptop) (at least they did when I was using them a while back).  I've found good deals by buying show room sample laptops at the end of the season.  just be aware that if battery life is important, don't go that route, laptops that are plugged in for a year have bad batteries.

I think now days it doesn't apply as much as it used to when I was younger, neither does the old saying you pay for what you get meaning the more you pay the better the item. Just doesn't work like that now in my experience last 5-10 years.

That all said I have always had great luck with the Dell line around the $500 ish dollar mark. 

23 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Pay attention to your file extensions when you save. Drop down radio button let's you change them. If emailing make sure they are common .xls .doc so other people can open them. 

Archived