SASS Wire Forum

TiteGroup for shotgun?

Fretless

I'm collecting what I need to reload shot shells.  I have TiteGroup on hand.  Does anybody have a low recoil load you like with this powder?

I'm thinking 1oz of shot, but could be talked into less.

Thanks for getting me started.

1 oz shot, 16.5 grains works well in trapshooting. Could back it down a bit yet for cowboy. If you look at Hodgdons website Tite Group is listed as a shot gun powder with 1oz loads. Works great In 38 specials too. 

I use 3/4 oz #7.5 shot over Claybuster CB0175-12 wads, over 13.6 gr of TiteWad (I know, but maybe it is close?) in new model WIN AA hulls with Fed 209A primers. They, always go bang, with very light recoil, the plates always fall (apart from operator error), and even my tiny wife likes shooting them in her 97 with its short buttstock and 18.5" barrel.

I always thought "Tightgroup" was primarily a pistol cartridge powder, but apparently there are some published shotshell loads for it out there.  Personally, I think the wad used might be a bit of an issue due to Tightgroup's density.  It doesn't take a lot of this powder to get a big bang, so be careful.  Tightgroup also has a very loud report and a sharper than normal recoil in my handgun loads, which might transfer over to shotshell as well.  In any case, I think that there are better choices for shotshell loads, but nowadays one has to make do with what is available or at least obtainable.  Frankly, I haven't seen it on sale anywhere for quite awhile now and have been looking, but if you have it on hand then it might just be worth a try with published load data.  Good luck and good shooting to all.   

13 minutes ago, Bison Bud said:

I always thought "Tightgroup" was primarily a pistol cartridge powder, but apparently there are some published shotshell loads for it out there.  Personally, I think the wad used might be a bit of an issue due to Tightgroup's density.  It doesn't take a lot of this powder to get a big bang, so be careful.  Tightgroup also has a very loud report and a sharper than normal recoil in my handgun loads, which might transfer over to shotshell as well.  In any case, I think that there are better choices for shotshell loads, but nowadays one has to make do with what is available or at least obtainable.  Frankly, I haven't seen it on sale anywhere for quite awhile now and have been looking, but if you have it on hand then it might just be worth a try with published load data.  Good luck and good shooting to all.   

Tightgroup has been available from a few online venders this month.  Midsouth shows it available right now at $25.45 per pound.  They have shown it available for several days.  I don't use it but have advised local shooters short on powder of its availability.

7 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

Mom shot trap with us for a few years. The load posted using clay buster 1oz wads got nicknamed “ mom’s mini bullets” because of how soft they were.  Yea, most guys laughed at how soft they were in recoil, but they ate up targets! 

Yes, it takes a really small bushing compared to most other powders. 

Might be other powders that suit a bit better, but I’d choose this load twice a day and three times on Sunday for cowboy or trap, and first shot in doubles. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:34 PM, Fretless said:

I'm collecting what I need to reload shot shells.  I have TiteGroup on hand.  Does anybody have a low recoil load you like with this powder?

I'm thinking 1oz of shot, but could be talked into less.

Thanks for getting me started.

Fretless, Yohan here shot with you Sunday at Oak Ridge if you recall.

So you saw my shotgun work and my loads. 

I use tight group for my shotgun loads and had to create my own recipe.

I use AA hulls or whatever hulls work in my Dillon sl 900 shotgun loader.

I shoot 7/8ths oz of #7 1/2 shot and I use 13 grains of Titegroup 

It chronos around 960-980 fps which is the exact same as the Winchester AA factory loads I modeled them after.

I use Either Winchester 209, Cheddite 209 but currently using up my Nobel Primers never had a single failure except for stupidity of MISSING :-)

My wife and I both shoot that load even let a 9 year old try a box in Georgia State Championship to keep him from flinching.

Hope this helps

2 minutes ago, Yohan said:

It chronos around 960-980 fps which is the exact same as the Winchester AA factory loads I modeled them after.

I use Either Winchester 209, Cheddite 209 but currently using up my Nobel Primers never had a single failure except for stupidity of MISSING :-)

My wife and I both shoot that load even let a 9 year old try a box in Georgia State Championship to keep him from flinching.

Hope this helps

That is basically my experience too.

7 hours ago, Yohan said:

Hope this helps

7 hours ago, Snakebite said:

That is basically my experience too

That's the starting point I was looking for. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, Renegade Plowboy said:

1 oz shot, 16.5 grains works well in trapshooting.

Good to know, because we do some of that too.  How is the recoil on that load?  What factory shell would you compare it too?

I found some overpriced Winchester 209 primers, and ordered some wads (cb6100 and cb4100).  A few weeks ago I picked up a bag of 8 1/2 shot, so I think I am ready to start loading.

Although I do have several cases of Factory Low Recoil shells, I very seldom shoot them. When my wife started playing this game I just wanted to make sure that she didn't get pounded by her shotgun, so I started loading ammo that replicated the AA Feather Lite loads. There are many such powders that will do that. Right now I am using Extra Lite, because I got good buy on it a few years back. I'm not too picking about what I use in the Shotgun, in this game. I virtually use my shotgun to get rid of any fast burning powder that I don't use any more, or don't have enough of to start loading a bunch of 9mm or 38.  Half cans of this and that usually end up in a shotgun shell under a Claybuster Grey (7/8 oz) wad topped with how ever much shot it takes to provide a good crimp. For the most part, that ends up being anywhere from 12-15 grains of most fast powders. No doubt that some of the purist will just Cringe when they read that. The slower powders don't work very well and I wouldn't use them. Some loads are better than others, and some may not pattern as well as others. Some may burn dirty as the fires of Hell, but they will all go bang and I have never found any signs of excessively high pressure using that rule of thumb. 12-15 gr of most fast pistol powders will work just fine for a low recoil Cowboy load. These guys that yat about patterns in this game are just yatting. There is no pattern in this game at the ranges we shoot. Same goes for the guys that put chokes in these guns and then shoot at these targets that are right in front of them. Ha, that's just funny. If you are using the load and the gun for another game/sport that requires a good pattern then that is different, you need to work with proven and developed loads and adjust from there, and the use of a choke might be warranted. But in this game if the gun goes off when you pull the trigger, you have accomplished 90% of the intended task. If you want to shoot the popper birds that are out there 10-20 feet in front of you and can't seem to do it with that 2" pattern, then then load a shell just for that situation. Buy a bag a spreader wads, fill it with #9 shot, or better yet, #12. One of those 3000 pellets is likely to hit that bird and put out a puff of dust. Of all the loading and shooting that I have ever done, loading for this game is by far and away the most none critical of any of it....... as long as you stay at the bottom of the loading scale! There is no need to work at the upper end, or even the middle in this game. 

10 hours ago, Yohan said:

Hope this helps

What wads are you using? Nice shooting with you Sunday

11 hours ago, Yohan said:

Hope this helps

That is very close to my TiteWad recipe, and I'd bet they're indistinguishable at the range.

10 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

What wads are you using? Nice shooting with you Sunday

Clay Buster CB-0178-12 Grey in color with 4 petals Nice shooting with you too!!

Archived