WTC

Hoss

Pistol-shotgun don’t matter. 

rifle 5 targets

outside outside inside inside middle 

then

middle inside inside outside outside

(double tapping middle target. 

shooter finished stage, called clean. Goes to ULT. Round on carrier.  Shooter points it out to ULTO officer, who notifies TO. MSV called. Then discussion ensued. No doubt shooter shot final target correctly. 
shooter either overloaded rifle or got away with a miss and a P. 

looking back I’m thinking shooter (me) must have failed to double tap the center target. Counters, TO, peanut gallery all missed it. I load from a loading block, highly unlikely that I overloaded rifle.

Final call was MSV only as shooter had already been declared “clean” and it is possible (Allthough as I said highly unlikely) that rifle was overloaded.  

Could/should have been the dreaded trifecta, P, M, MSV 

what sayeth the campfire? 

It would be up to the shooter (you) whether to appeal the lesser penalty and demand the Trifecta.
...or accept the
MSV and be thankful for vision-impaired RO's.

(don't forget to tip them appropriately) ;)

Rifle was last gun, after the last shot out of the rifle the shooter held the gun in one hand and picked up the shotgun with the other hand. He then proceeded to the ULT where he put down the shotgun. Before putting down the rifle he saw that there was a round on the carrier of the rifle. Shooter removed the round. Hoss, isn't that the way it happened? No call. 

1 minute ago, Snakebite said:

Rifle was last gun, after the last shot out of the rifle the shooter held the gun in one hand and picked up the shotgun with the other hand. He then proceeded to the ULT where he put down the shotgun. Before putting down the rifle he saw that there was a round on the carrier of the rifle. Shooter removed the round. Hoss, isn't that the way it happened? No call. 

No, rifle was first. Definitely a MSV 

Take the MSV and enjoy the rest of the day.

Absent a call of a miss (coaching, not cause for any complaint unless in error, even if it did not happen at all) and the spotters missed it. That is basically it, they missed the miss (and/or P).

You did have a confirmed live round at the ULT.

Digging a little deeper... Was this the first stage of the day? Could you have started at the LT with an extra round? Would an extra round fit in your magazine? Nothing to do with the call, just a thought if you are looking for where an extra round might have come from. I use a loading block too, and clear my arms (again) in the parking lot.

Just now, John Kloehr said:

Take the MSV and enjoy the rest of the day.

Absent a call of a miss (coaching, not cause for any complaint unless in error, even if it did not happen at all) and the spotters missed it. That is basically it, they missed the miss (and/or P).

You did have a confirmed live round at the ULT.

Digging a little deeper... Was this the first stage of the day? Could you have started at the LT with an extra round? Would an extra round fit in your magazine? Nothing to do with the call, just a thought if you are looking for where an extra round might have come from. I use a loading block too, and clear my arms (again) in the parking lot.

No. Last stage of the day. Only explanation I can come up with is I did not double tap the center target. But……it ain’t my job as shooter to call misses or Ps.  I be did call the MSV on myself as soon as I saw the round on the carrier. 

One of our TO's has the ability to spot while he runs the timer and still preform his duty flawlessly. He does not overrule the spotters if they fail to call a miss of a P. He simply reports the time and says, "Spotters have it clean. Merry Christmas."

You said you load from a loading block, if it was empty then you didn't overload you probably didn't double tap the last target. So I say a "P" and a MSV.

This past fall I had an empty case backwards on the carrier when I arrived at the ULT. MSV was called. I discussed it with the TO. Odd thing is I shoot 45 and the case was a 38. Penalty dropped. To this day I can't fathom where the hell the 38 case came from or how it ended up in my rifle. Pretty sure the table was clean when I staged it.:huh:

The spotters giveth and the spotters taketh away...  They called it clean, RO who counts the shots didn't have you as a P

MSV and Merry Christmas!!

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

This past fall I had an empty case backwards on the carrier when I arrived at the ULT. MSV was called. I discussed it with the TO. Odd thing is I shoot 45 and the case was a 38. Penalty dropped. To this day I can't fathom where the hell the 38 case came from or how it ended up in my rifle. Pretty sure the table was clean when I staged it.:huh:

That one's easy -- the 38 case was sitting on your hat, either the brim or the crown, and fell smack dab into the carrier.  I've seen spent brass land in some other tiny (and sometimes quite humorous to the audience, though not so much for the lady shooter) openings.

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The infamous stealth bullet case!!!

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

zhriyHnhKdiAmmT2S-IwrxMr-ehVOatitSnKCWlq

Darn. I wish this thread was posted a few years ago. On one stage, I was called clean by all three spotters and the TO accepted their call when he reported the time to the scorekeeper. After I got to the unloading table, I found two loaded revolvers which I reported so my score was changed to 10 misses and a MSV!!!

I want a reshoot!:P

13 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Darn. I wish this thread was posted a few years ago. On one stage, I was called clean by all three spotters and the TO accepted their call when he reported the time to the scorekeeper. After I got to the unloading table, I found two loaded revolvers which I reported so my score was changed to 10 misses and a MSV!!!

I want a reshoot!:P

That shoulda been 10 misses and a "P" for "Failure to attempt to fire a firearm, engage a prop, or perform a stage maneuver."  ;)

8 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Did anyone think to check the timer for number of shots fired?

Howdy IKE.

The timer could have been used to check, but no OFFICIAL determination can be assessed based on what the timer does, or does not, read.

Timers don't always pick up ALL shots fired and sometimes, a Timer will pick up more than just shots fired on that stage.

..........Widder

57 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That shoulda been 10 misses and a "P" for "Failure to attempt to fire a firearm, engage a prop, or perform a stage maneuver."  ;)

And a MSV?:rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

And a MSV?:rolleyes:

No MSV. 

Hoss, I know that people were shooting that stage several different ways so spotters end up listening for hits more than looking for them plus with you being pretty fast that probably caused some spotter failures.  Although when I spot I like to count shots, too.

That is actually something I dislike about round count stages - easier for the shooter, harder for the spotter.

19 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

That one's easy -- the 38 case was sitting on your hat, either the brim or the crown, and fell smack dab into the carrier.  I've seen spent brass land in some other tiny (and sometimes quite humorous to the audience, though not so much for the lady shooter) openings.

That would work if I shot 38's, but not likely someone else's ended up on my hat. At least I don't think so. Another pard at the shoot said it could have fallen from the framing of the prop. I'm still thinking it's a mystery.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Hoss is the straightest straight shooter to ever have shot straight. I’ve learned a lot from my pard and he is an excellent role model and friend. This happened to me as well with a case in the gaping side of my Marlin… the side ejecting shell coming out of the Marlin must have hit the side wall of the stage bounced off and returned to the table as I put the rifle down on its left side… empty shell in the rifle pointing the wrong way for a MSV…. I’ll never forget the dump stage at Trailhead… remember that one @Hoss

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That would work if I shot 38's, but not likely someone else's ended up on my hat. At least I don't think so. Another pard at the shoot said it could have fallen from the framing of the prop. I'm still thinking it's a mystery.

Were you a spotter for any cowboy at that or any previous stage who WAS shooting 38?  They can fly, those things.

3 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Were you a spotter for any cowboy at that or any previous stage who WAS shooting 38?  They can fly, those things.

I was a spotter and then went to LT. Quite a bit of walking from cart to LT and to stage and then stage firearms. But maybe, it sounds better than being clueless.:rolleyes:

Archived