SASS Wire Forum

Nothing is impossible

Them 50 AEs is impressive. I was down at the range one morning, shooting steel plates. 45s and 38s. They were sitting on a steel table about 40 feet from the firing line, in a 25 yard range. I would hit them and knock them over.

Then Thor showed up at the other end of the range. Had to be Thor. Flash of lightning and a huge thunderclap. So I go down to see what's going on. Boy with a desert eagle 50. And he offers to let me shoot it. I go back to my lane and shoot one of the steel plates.

Where the 45 and the hot 38 have been knocking the plates over, this thing picked it up off the table and threw it to the back of the lane. About 30 feet. I walk out and get it, and it's got a big dent in it. There's a little teat sticking up in the middle of the dent.

When the bullet hit the steel, it dented it. This displaced metal. The displaced metal had to go somewhere, and it went up into the hollow point, leaving the aforementioned teat.

Looked a whole lot like a federal Hydra shock. ^_^

Don't forget......... when you shoot at that BAD guy behind the car in the garage next door,  a little child/mom/dad, might be

sleeping in their bed another couple house further down.   And those big flying projectiles have no conscience.

..........Widder

I have never had the opportunity to shoot a .50 AE Desert Eagle, but would love to. An old friend of mine had the .357 magnum Desert Eagle. It was a neat gun. It wouldn’t cycle unless it was being fed 158 grain Magnum (with a capital M) loads. The hotter the better. 
I got to shoot a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum. I liked that one very much because the recoil was very easy to handle due to the weight of the gun. 
Both of these guns were heavy and carrying one would not be pleasurable, but still, I would love to have one just because…I actually can’t come up with anything except they’re “Cool!” :D

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never had the opportunity to shoot a .50 AE Desert Eagle, but would love to. An old friend of mine had the .357 magnum Desert Eagle. It was a neat gun. It wouldn’t cycle unless it was being fed 158 grain Magnum (with a capital M) loads. The hotter the better. 
I got to shoot a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum. I liked that one very much because the recoil was very easy to handle due to the weight of the gun. 
Both of these guns were heavy and carrying one would not be pleasurable, but still, I would love to have one just because…I actually can’t come up with anything except they’re “Cool!” :D

When I started working at Gander Mountain, we had a gold plated Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum. It was there almost as long as I was. People would ask to look at it, and inevitably ask to have their picture taken with it. The funny thing was at least half a dozen people tried to buy it, only to come back denied on their background check. 

I had a 44 Automag, the one from the Dirty Harry movie. I use to shoot it and I was very accurate with it. The big problem was the rounds were about $1.00 a piece at that time (20 years ago) and somebody bought it from me for about $500 more than I paid for it.

I think i still have some rounds and brass for it. I was shooting it one time and had a friend with me that i convinced  to try it. He fired one round and gave it back and said bad things to me. I liked that gun.

44 automag.JPG

2 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I had a 44 Automag, the one from the Dirty Harry movie. I use to shoot it and I was very accurate with it. The big problem was the rounds were about $1.00 a piece at that time (20 years ago) and somebody bought it from me for about $500 more than I paid for it.

I think i still have some rounds and brass for it. I was shooting it one time and had a friend with me that i convinced  to try it. He fired one round and gave it back and said bad things to me. I liked that gun.

44 automag.JPG

I had a gun in the next lane to me fire one of those off at an indoor range and it singed the hair off the back of my left hand and I darn near dropped my gun. 

Wow! What a fireball and report! :lol:

I age and my memory gets foggier, but wasn't there a method of cutting and trimming a rifle cartridge to enable it's reload and use in the .44 Automag??

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I age and my memory gets foggier, but wasn't there a method of cutting and trimming a rifle cartridge to enable it's reload and use in the .44 Automag??

.308 brass, if I remember correctly.

30-06 or 308 brass could be used for making rounds. It used a .429 bullet. I had the dies and everything to make rounds when I owned it, but was not in to reloading at the time. 

Does anyone remember the .375 Wildey (WILLdee) gas operated pistol?  Had one show up at the Isaac Walton League range in the Anaheim area many years ago.

I got to fire it once and swore off of PPPs (Pain Producing Pistols) from then on.

A friend sounded up several years ago with 44 AutMag in hand.   Cut down 308 brass and after an unknown combination of dies.    Sent him home with 50 loaded rounds that he used for a long time.     GW     

I don’t even enjoy shooting a Model 29. I’m a girlie man. ;)

On 12/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Does anyone remember the .375 Wildey (WILLdee) gas operated pistol?  Had one show up at the Isaac Walton League range in the Anaheim are many years ago.

I got to fire it once and swore off of PPPs (Pain Producing Pistols) from then on.

I remember a 475 wildey magnum.  Charles Bronson showed it to me on screen decades ago.

Archived