SASS Wire Forum

Winter is coming…

Utah Bob #35998

Well I awoke at about 5:50 am. Looked like about 5-6 inches had fallen. Still two hours till sunrise. I settled back under the blanket and decided 8 or 9 might be a good time to get up. If I got up at all. Snow plowing could wait till noon. 

Then the telltale beep beep of the computer backup battery told me the power just went out!
Just like the Night Before Christmas I sprang out of bed to see what was the matter. Dashed into the living room to look out the windows. No light from the CO2 processing plant up the road Amor the nearest neighbor’s barn light. 

Put on my thermal underwear in record time and got some candles lit, a fire going and hauled out the old campfire coffee pot. I sat down to wonder how long it would take for my pipes to freeze and how much the reapers would cost. I opened the IPad to check the highway traffic cameras. Of course they were snowpacked and not functioning.
Weather radar looked like the snow was tapering off. Maybe.

Then, as I sat here, now fully awake and getting hungry, the power came on.
Apocalypse averted.
Here’s a pic right after the Christmas tree lights came on.

Got the snow off the sat dish and coffee in my new Code Talker mug. Dawn has broken. Outside pics to follow. 

Winter is here.

C9F01000-C81E-4105-BA3E-A5DFB2173FFF.jpeg

83F015E4-FA76-4BC2-9644-77F3AD93FB24.jpeg

BB670765-2EC4-4D2D-8D8A-35CF93F76EF8.jpeg

A492D519-C875-4FBF-8155-18C7523A8061.jpeg

9B424024-96E3-42BC-8488-78B8E0B0F8EF.jpeg

The Blues are not blue this morning. Getting breezy now supposed to be around 5° tonight. 

B15AA897-FBBE-402B-8040-883093A71E46.jpeg

I think the last report for those living by the cabin was 6" last night!!!

We need it.

I really miss the snow in the mountains.

It has been raining here...freezing on the window panes.

We may see some accumilation by this evening.

Stay safe, stay warm!!!

US491 looks pretty clear heading to Utah on the highway cam.

28102DAF-7D64-4625-A3FF-4646B08E4963.jpeg

Not to be a smart alec, but I rode my bike to work today. It was 40 degrees this morning. Brisk but fun. ;)

Hey Bob, if your power goes out turn your faucets on to a very light trickle of  water and  it should keep your  pipes from freezing.

It's official! DIA recorded 3/10th of an inch of snow! So the record of 1887 for the latest snow in Denver still stands (and it can as far as I'm concerned).  Roads in the southern suburbs are pretty greasy.  Had a tanker truck overturn near Hwy 85  on C-470.  No injuries, but spilled diesel fuel will take a while to clean up.  Took our dog to be groomed this morning, and am back at home, all snug and warm.  Put my car in the garage so I don't have to clean it off later.

Sleighbells ring are ya listening?

In the lane, snow is glistening!

Happy Holidays, all!

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not to be a smart alec, but I rode my bike to work today. It was 40 degrees this morning. Brisk but fun. ;)

Hey Bob, if your power goes out turn your faucets on to a very light trickle of  water and  it should keep your  pipes from freezing.

Yeah that works up to a point.

Our boiler bit the dust a couple of weeks ago; the installers showed up today for the replacement.  None too soon; if we did not have a gas fireplace, it would be a bit chilly at night.  Our boiler room is on the 2nd floor of the cottage; we're in a flood zone, and utilities are not permitted in the basement level (in fact, we cannot even call it a basement; it's labelled "boathouse" on the plans, and includes breakaway flood panels to allow tidal flooding to pass through in storm conditions).  So the installers arrived with a man lift,  cut the boiler into sections, and lifted it to the ground with the lift.  New boiler went up the way the old came down, but in one piece.  Lots of pipe fitting in progress.

No heat until tomorrow, when the electrician gets here to wire the system.  Overnight low is projected to be 43 deg.; we've been lucky with a mild season.

LL

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That works everywhere BUT Southern Colorado!!!

Quite balmy here in NE Ohio. Supposed to be in the 40'sand 50's into next week. Heavy rain and wind tomorrow. It has snowed a couple times already but melted in a day or two. We are too far south for the Lake Erie snow machine. Stay warm, Bob.

It's 54° right now and the granddaughters want to go outside, so here I go.

Aw man, I actually had to put on a hoodie this morning.  This winter is harsh!  It was almost all the way down to 50° this morning as I left the house around 5:30 to get to work..

There aint many benefits to living in Southern California.... not freezing to death during the winter is one of them.

My phone won’t open with face recognition. Stupid thang!

BE3070E2-6376-4099-87BF-0470754AFA3D.jpeg

ED19F303-BDCC-4F64-828E-7F7F2A5161DF.jpeg

2F8A4E23-9D5F-4BB3-BFDF-020A7CBC9BF5.jpeg

Great photos everyone!

It's 83 right now on Fort Worth, Texas. Supposed to be in the high 50s low 60s this weekend during the day. Evenings 30s and 40s.

40 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh...but when Ft Worth does Freeze....ouch!

Yeah.With the humidity, Cold weather in the south is no laughing matter!

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was stationed in Northern Quebec back in the early 60's we had to keep the vehicles running 24/7 and a trickle of water from the faucets that were located against an outside wall, as the temp used to drop down to -50F

12 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

When I was stationed in Northern Quebec back in the early 60's we had to keep the vehicles running 24/7 and a trickle of water from the faucets that were located against an outside wall, as the temp used to drop down to -50F

Yeah we did the same thing in 68 when I was doing some training in upstate NY and Vermont.

Well the county finally got the roads plowed yesterday afternoon. It was 5° when I woke up this morning. I woke up. I didn’t Get up. :P Definitely need sunglasses out there.

It’s up to 19 now. Guess I should put the Hummingbird feeders away for the season.

28101B75-FBC2-4CEB-B4DC-6E1A1E05EBA0.jpeg

7209FA8A-6B7C-4467-BAB3-06F8D95AAACB.jpeg

Archived