SASS Wire Forum

Using Filler for SG Load

Tequila Shooter

Maybe this should be asked on The Wire, not sure. 

I just finished loading some 12 ga shells and I had to use a new load to meet ammo requirements for the Sultan of Smoke category.  My normal load is using a plastic wad with 3.7cc of BP with 1oz of shot.  I have to have 60gr of BP and 1 ⅛ oz of shot for SoS so the plastic wad was too big.  I put the BP an over powder card and the shot and the column was short so I decided to use grits as a filler.  I loaded 12 rounds to see how it was going to work.  But now I’m thinking should I have cooked the grits first?

This is a joke!

It's relatively simple.  Mag Tech 12Ga hulls.  60Gr Powder.  BP Spitfire Wad with 1 Oz pay load.  Over shot card(s).

May also substitute BP 1044 10Ga wads with finger cut for a 1 Oz Pay load.

Just remember, when using grits, leave out the butter...

16 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

That's my category you're shooting in.  Go ahead and put at least two tablespoons of water in with the grits before you seal the shells.

Are you talking about Dark Days?

2 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

The only good use of grits is filler over black powder.

I think you mean oatmeal.:blink:

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I guess it’s me but I like grits for breakfast, just as long as they’ve got butter on ‘em. 

I like sausage and eggs in my grits a whole lot better than mere butter.

I used to use pinto beans ... Had many experimental/temp loads that simply needed to nice crimp (w/o having to adjust the MEC).

I would record the load w/ case family ... wad ... shot/powder volume ... AND ... number of required pinto beans (to achieve the necessary stack height).

The beans were easy to use on my Sizemaster ... after seating the wad I would (raise the handle and) drop the required number of pinto beans down the tube ... "then" I would push the bar to the right to release the shot. 

This worked great for me (testing loads w/o having to fool w/ the MEC) ... and I eventually just bought a box of 1/4 inch (25 caliber) airsoft pellets (bio-degradeable).

The airsoft pellets even got into the act filling 1oz (and larger) wads ... (so I could load some good looking 3/4oz  shells) ... until those old stashes of wads were used up. 

You always need a tight crimp ... AND .. maintain wad compression if you want a consistant popp.

If you don't think a shotshell w/ the wad completely full of pinto beans (no shot at all) won't take down most of "our" shotgun targets ... give it a try.

Airsoft pellets that glow in the dark are very inexpensive as well!!

On 12/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Perro Del Diablo said:

The only good use of grits is filler over black powder.

Wait...

Now, try this.

Cook up some firm grits.

Make up some nice red chili/gravy.

Cook up a couple of eggs, over easy.

Grab some grated cheddar.

Now...

Grits, chili, cheese and eggs.

Best. Breakfast. Ever.

52 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Wait...

Now, try this.

Cook up some firm grits.

Make up some nice red chili/gravy.

Cook up a couple of eggs, over easy.

Grab some grated cheddar.

Now...

Grits, chili, cheese and eggs.

Best. Breakfast. Ever.

How much shot and powder do you put in that???  And how do you get that in a shell??

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

How much shot and powder do you put in that???  And how do you get that in a shell??

Hahahaha!!!! You got me there.

Sorry I took your post 'South'.

Seriously, I am confused on the post.

For Dark Days you have to produce more smoke than SASS requires?

We don't have issues, as we allways laod full cases.

Shotty we use about 38gr...used to be 52gr!!!

7/8 to 1/2

Use Claybuster #12 I believe.

Sue - here are the requirements for Dark Days Sultan of Smoke and King of Kaboom:

Sultan of Smoke
Shooters from the SASS BP Match definition of the categories of FCD, Frontiersman, Duelist, Sr. Duelist, Classic Cowboy and Others are eligible. ie One Handed only.
All pistols are shot in the SASS Duelist category manner. Double Duelist is allowed. Real black powder or sub is allowed.
Pistols and Rifle:
40 cal and up - 200 grain and up - 25 grains of powder and up 38-40 cal - 180 grain and up - 30 grains of powder and up
Cap and Ball - 44 cal round ball and up - 30 grains of powder and up
Shotgun:
1 1/8 oz shot, 60 grains of powder Double barrel and 87 only

King of Kaboom Same rules as Sultan of Smoke but shot Two Handed.

I put in an over-powder wad, and then a cushion wad. if the column is too short, I add another wad, but I don't put in grits, or Cream of Wheat, or whatever.

The over-shot wad is really more of a disk, not very thick at all, so I will use that above the cushion wad to build up the shot column. I sometimes use two over-powder wads, to build up the shot column. It just depends on what I want, and how much I need to increase the column. 

I do not star crimp my shells, I may roll crimp them, or simply not crimp them at all, and just put in an over-shot wad, and "glue" it in place with some sodium silicate, or "water glass" to keep the shot in place. I have to do it this way for my old "black powder" era shotguns, but it works fine in my modern shotguns...the double barrels, that is. I roll crimp my shotgun shells, when using my Remington Model 1100 semi-automatic shotgun.  

I don't guess I have ever used grits, or Cream of Wheat, in any shotgun loads. I just make up any difference with wads. 

But...to each his own. When I do use a filler, in my Sharps 50-90, I use Cream of Wheat. It seems to work better for me than grits. 

We are not southerners, so grits are not as popular here, for eating, or use as a filler. I will save the grits for when they serve me mush at the old folk's home...some day. :lol: 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

@Patagonia Pete thanks, I’m roll crimping so the MEC is only used to de-prime; prime, and drop the shot, everything else I do by hand.   But I still want to know should I cook the grits first B) :lol:

..... I, to, use a roll crimper from Ballistic Products ...... chucked into a small/cheap drill press,  ...... everything is pushed in tight and shot column length/height doesn't matter so much. I still use plastic wads; and I cut the hulls off at the original crimp fold.

The final shells are a little shorter but that doesn't seem to affect usage in doubleguns and is a little advantageous in a Chinese '87.

3/4 oz. of shot reduces recoil a little and has appeal to Ladies and Young'uns ......... and me :blush:

(you also get more rounds out of a bag of shot ;))

:ph34r:

Archived