SASS Wire Forum

Crispy Bacon

Buckshot Bear

On 12/9/2021 at 7:28 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Honestly?

Put down a piece of Parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Put slices flat and just touching.

Bake in oven 350° till crispness is desired.

Parchment on top (but not pushed down, just set) helps keep oven cleaner.

I put a metal cooling rack on top of the parchment paper. It keeps the bacon from laying in the grease that cooks out. I usually cook up the whole package at once, bag it and freeze some. Then it’s ready when I want it, just warm it up as needed.

CJ

I am with Alpo on the crispy/burnt issue. I like mine flexible.

30 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I put a metal cooling rack on top of the parchment paper. It keeps the bacon from laying in the grease that cooks out. I usually cook up the whole package at once, bag it and freeze some. Then it’s ready when I want it, just warm it up as needed.

CJ

I am with Alpo on the crispy/burnt issue. I like mine flexible.

To me, the bacon fat is where the flavor is...I think the bit of grease it pulls from the parchment keeps it moist!

On 12/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, Alpo said:

Never have understood this desire people have for "crispy" food.

To me, "crispy" usually means overcooked. Burnt.

I myself prefer my food to taste like food, not like charcoal.

Atta boy, Alpo.  I like my bacon firm but not crispy.  Same for my corned beef hash, french fries, hamburgers, toast, beef, jerky, pork, and salmon, etc.  I don't want it raw nor flimsy, but I don't see a reason for "crispy"....except in some breakfast cereals, and potato and tortilla chips.

23 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I put it in the pan and watch it. When it’s just right I take it out.

I can tell you that I have a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for bacon and people who like limp bacon. If you are bacon I will look for you. I will find you and I will eat you.

Not if I find it first, but after the first pound or so at a single sitting I'll share.

And I don't like "flavored" bacon.  Hickory smoked is good by me, the rest are edible but not on my favorite selection list.

Archived