SASS Wire Forum

Crispy Bacon

Buckshot Bear

Never have understood this desire people have for "crispy" food.

To me, "crispy" usually means overcooked. Burnt.

I myself prefer my food to taste like food, not like charcoal.

18 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Honestly?

Put down a piece of Parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Put slices flat and just touching.

Bake in oven 350° till crispness is desired.

Parchment on top (but not pushed down, just set) helps keep oven cleaner.

Had to look that up Sue :) 

https://www.metsatissue.com/en/brands-products/baking-cooking-papers/paper-differencies/Pages/default.aspx

I do not like crispy bacon. I like it just as it starts to get crispy but still a bit limber. 

The secret to crispy bacon is to start frying it then call a friend or go online to this here Saloon. You will have crispy bacon in no time. ;)

41 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There is a huge difference between crisp and overcooked, or burned. The maillard reaction helps bring out flavor.  The crispy golden crust on perfectly cooked hash browns, surrounding that soft, creamy interior gives you texture and a range of potatoey goodness.

The sear on a steak or chop, "burned" by your definition, brings out the sweetness of the meat as well as providing a textural contrast.

Bacon, by its very nature a fatty meat, is tough and gummy if you don't render and crisp the fat.  

Un-crisp potato chips are just a thin, sauseless scalloped potato.

I have two methods.  First is in a skillet, low and slow until it starts getting some color and it has rendered a lot of fat, then crank up the heat for the last two minutes.  I usually use this method for "ends and pieces," which I often buy rather than the neatly packaged slices.  A little picking over and I can usually find packages that have a lot of good slices as well as some chunks and bits at about a third the cost of the pretty stuff.

The other method is to line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, put a rack on that, lay out the bacon on the rack, put it in a cold oven and set it for 425 F.  Watch it once it gets to temperature.  Let it get GB&D. This method I use if I have splurge on the pretty bacon.

I’ve found a way to get bacon cooked just the way I want it. I have an oval shaped dinner plate that will hold six to eight strips of bacon. I place the desired number of strips on the plate, place it in the microwave, set it on high, and put the timer on six minutes. When it reaches the specified time, I’ll check it and decide how much more crispy I want it.

I usually like my bacon cooked to a stiff but not dry finish. If it flexes a little as I remove it from the plate, it will become jerky like as it cools and drains. If I want it a little more crispy, I nuke it for another half a minute or so.

Thicker bacon requires a little longer to cook and the plate holds the grease and fries the bacon without scorching the meat while rendering out the bulk of the fat.

A set of tongs to place the bacon on three or four paper towels to soak up the last of the drippings and you’re all set!!

Faster than the oven, more consistent and less messy than the skillet, easier than either, and you can drain the bacon grease into a small container for use with your beans or for bacon flavor in your vegetables and sauces!

Here is what I see the local restaurants doing to get crispy bacon without burning.

In the afternoon after breakfast/lunch and before dinner, they fill the flat griddle with bacon and cook it until it get a nice dark color.

They remove it from the griddle and place it on a large cook sheet type of tray.

This is allowed to cool and then in to the fridge over nite.

The next morning it is brought out and place above the griddle where it warms up.

As customer orders coming bacon is taken from the tray and place on the griddle to heat up.

The overnight allows most of the grease to drain off and the bacon becomes crisp.

----------------------

Something else. Hash brown potatoes.

Never the same at home.

Well, the restaurants boil their potatoes  to soften them up and before peeling them and shredding them.

The store them in cold water to keep them from turning brown before cooking.

Don't want my bacon crispy but the wife does.  Bought a "Bacon Wow"   Roughly 1 min per slice.  Hold up to 6 slices.     GW

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Honestly?

Put down a piece of Parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Put slices flat and just touching.

Bake in oven 350° till crispness is desired.

Parchment on top (but not pushed down, just set) helps keep oven cleaner.

This is how I cooked bacon when I worked as PM cook at local nursing home.  Cooking for 100 plus, figure 20 to 25 lbs     GW

I put it in the pan and watch it. When it’s just right I take it out.

I can tell you that I have a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for bacon and people who like limp bacon. If you are bacon I will look for you. I will find you and I will eat you.

My method for absolutely perfect bacon is to get it out of the fridge, give it to my lovely wife and stay out of the way.

I like bacon, I picked some up at the store yesterday. $2.99 lb. I now have enough bacon for this week.. The Cover Wagon bacon is actually Tyson bacon, I learned that when I worked there. I suspect the Hickory Hollow is also Tyson Bacon, but not sure.

Place 3 or 4 pieces in a paper bowl, cover with a paper plate, Microwave for 3:00 minutes. Place 2 eggs in the frying pan on the stove and set between 6 and 7. While it cooks, get a glass of milk and a scoop of grapefruit in a bowl and place on the table. When the microwave stops, turn over the eggs. Check the bacon and and 15 -45 seconds if needed. When it stops, remove the plate and dump the eggs on it, take bacon out of the bowl and place on plate.

Breakfast is served.

Bacon.JPG

Crispy Bacon might have something to say if you try and Cook him ....

And Burnt Bacon might shoot you for trying ....

Both are Cowboy shooters ...

Jabez Cowboy

35 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

My method for absolutely perfect bacon is to get it out of the fridge, give it to my lovely wife and stay out of the way.

I agree…well, I don’t give to your wife, I give it to mine, but the method is sound and works wonderfully! :D

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

This is how I cooked bacon when I worked as PM cook at local nursing home.  Cooking for 100 plus, figure 20 to 25 lbs     GW

Yup.

Old school server/manager here.

Worked in the industry for well over 25 years.

Skyliner Restraunt in Farmington,NM for 17 of those years!!!

I like the wire rack on sheet pan method.  Line the sheet pan with foil for easier cleanup.  I like the bacon stiff and brown, not floppy, not black.

my S-I-L uses a Chef Tony Bacon Baker, no longer sold commercially but available on eBay.  IMO the bacon comes out tasteless because ALL the fat is dripped off during baking. You might as well eat cardboard. When we have a get together with fruit and rolls for breakfast he struts around eating the tasteless bacon for his Atkins diet with a holier than thou attitude.

I'd rather go hungry than eat flaccid bacon.  

I cook it crispy in the oven, on a cooking sheet lined with foil.  ALL grease is reserved, as per the instructions of my raised Southern Mother.  

The only time I cook bacon in a skillet is when it's chopped, and cooked to be part of a recipe.

Not real big on bacon.  It's alright- but it's not the end all and be all that folks pretend that it is.

Don't like it crunchy or crispy.  I want it cooked done and firm but the whole crumbles when you bit it thing isn't a favorite of mine.  If there's a little bit of chew left in it, it's actually more flavorful- and I eat it for the flavor.

3 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Not real big on bacon.  It's alright- but it's not the end all and be all that folks pretend that it is.

Don't like it crunchy or crispy.  I want it cooked done and firm but the whole crumbles when you bit it thing isn't a favorite of mine.  If there's a little bit of chew left in it, it's actually more flavorful- and I eat it for the flavor.

Not pretending. Applewood smoked bacon is straight from heaven.

4 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I cook it crispy in the oven, on a cooking sheet lined with foil.

This sounds interesting but I think the plastic pouch would melt.

0003760084296_A.thumb.jpeg.d696ba841c7aa5503f7d74e94f4dae07.jpeg

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

image.png.2825935da15285916fc5395080d3c24c.png:lol:

Creepy Human Skull Fire Pit 'Logs'

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Believe I'll take a pass on the "ready to eat" version...

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That’s a hard NO! 

Archived