SASS Wire Forum

Sausage

Alpo

Are we the only country with patty sausage?

Another board, several years ago, and we were talking about breakfast. This one guy posted a picture of what he had for breakfast that morning, and one of our English members wanted to know if it was common to eat hamburgers with eggs. Apparently in England sausage comes in a tube.

Just made me wonder if everybody else only has link sausage, and only we have the deliciousness that is patty.

Italians have 'em

https://www.whatscookinitalianstylecuisine.com/2018/02/moms-homemade-sausage-patties.html

There's an Italian deli here that sells "Pizza Burgers", It's two pieces of square pizza with a sausage patty in the middle! It's awesome!

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"People better get use to eating sausage because when there gets to be a shortage of pigs, there ain't

gonna be anymore bacon".

..........Widder

A pig shortage would put a strain on sausage too!! :(

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Imagine a world with only Turkey sausage, Turkey bacon.

Now that's straight out of the Twilight Zone!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"People better get use to eating sausage because when there gets to be a shortage of pigs, there ain't

gonna be anymore bacon".

..........Widder

This is actually pretty spot on...

In January, california will be banning the sale of unprocessed pork unless the pigs were born on farms meeting certain conditions designed to keep the pigs happy - fewer than 5% of the pig farms in the country meet the standards.  

Bacon prices will likely skyrocket, but since sausage is processed, well... it's okay if it comes from discontented pigs.  -_-

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In January, california will be banning the sale of unprocessed pork unless the pigs were born on farms meeting certain conditions designed to keep the pigs happy - fewer than 5% of the pig farms in the country meet the standards.  

Bacon prices will likely skyrocket, but since sausage is processed, well... it's okay if it comes from discontented pigs.  -_-

Isn't bacon a processed meat?

13 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Isn't bacon a processed meat?

So's ham... but both are effected.

I think the term "processed" refers to pork that is a component of a product - like sausage.  Or Spam.

1 minute ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1638716454662.thumb.jpg.79ed1c862bb8f89aae654fcea28e6a7c.jpg

BnG!

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

SO, I take it California has enough inspectors, in the state Dept of Ag, to inspect all the pig farms in to US to validate pig bliss, correct? Otherwise, how do they enforce it?????   :lol:

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I don't see any marmalade for the toast.

Down South, it would be the Apple Butter or Strawberry jam/jelly.

AND of course........ BUSCUITS, often with gravy.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Laws are like sausages; you don't want to see either being made. (Otto von Bismarck)

53 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Down South, it would be the Apple Butter or Strawberry jam/jelly.

AND of course........ BUSCUITS, often with gravy.

..........Widder

That is a full English breakfast, also called a fry up (because everything except the beans is fried). It has eggs, blood sausage, back bacon, streaky bacon, bangers, tomatoes, mushrooms, potato pancake, and Heinz beans. Along with toast and a cuppa.

They do not do apple butter, or any kind of jelly. There should be marmalade for the toast.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

image.png.7df2887f6972b969b7e59d9c93a0c947.png

It isn't bad.  For a few years I was buying ground turkey and using some of it for breakfast sausage.  Get your seasoning right and, other than being less greasy, you can't tell the difference from store bought pork breakfast sausage.

Country sausage, (patties) is a Southern thing that has spread to the rest of the nation to some extent.  I was told that country sausage came about when hogs were butchered and there wasn’t enough “sausage casing” to hold the excess from grinding “whole hog” sausage, using hams and shoulders rather than separating out those cuts. Folks just ground it and wrapped it in coarse cloth like flour sacks and hung it in the smoke house with the hams and shoulders and “side meat”.

And the world became a better place!!

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

At some point they will demand that the animals must have voluntarily gone to the slaughter house, or committed suicide, or died of old age.

5 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Saint Marty: October 29: Too Much Wine, Pumpkin Carving ...

Ain’t it the truth!!!

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Country sausage, (patties) is a Southern thing that has spread to the rest of the nation to some extent.  I was told that country sausage came about when hogs were butchered and there wasn’t enough “sausage casing” to hold the excess from grinding “whole hog” sausage, using hams and shoulders rather than separating out those cuts. Folks just ground it and wrapped it in coarse cloth like flour sacks and hung it in the smoke house with the hams and shoulders and “side meat”.

And the world became a better place!!

Sausage was originally not in casings so the South reintroduced the works to “sausage patties”.;)

http://sausagehouse.in/history-of-sausages/

I can’t believe someone researched the history of sausage. :lol:

A friend of mine has a teenage daughter that raises show pigs through FFA at school.  They travel around to different shows and compete with other show pigs.  At the end of the season, I buy 1/2 of one pig and have it processed.  I've got a freezer full of pampered show pig.  Every pig comes with a name.  We are eating Dobby this year.  I'm told it was named after a Harry Potter character.  I don't know if Dobby volunteered for what happened to him in the end, but I do know he lived a charmed life as a show pig.

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

gonna be anymore bacon".

..........Widder

There ain't no shortage of pigs down here. Feral hogs are available in abundance for anyone that wants to kill them.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:10 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Italians have 'em

https://www.whatscookinitalianstylecuisine.com/2018/02/moms-homemade-sausage-patties.html

There's an Italian deli here that sells "Pizza Burgers", It's two pieces of square pizza with a sausage patty in the middle! It's awesome!

Philly's Best sells a pizza burger.  The only other place I ever saw them was The Patio in the middle of the parking lot at Aberdeen Proving Ground just outside the Ordnance School

Hamburger with pepperoni, marinara sauce, mozzarella, and mushrooms (optional) on a sesame seed bun.

I make my own when I get the urge...maybe once every three months or thereabouts. 

No sausage other than the pepperoni involved.

And JFWIW, there's nothing wrong with  a hamburger patty with A-1 sauce and cheese  and a side of hash browns for breakfast. Also not bad with country style sausage gravy.  I order one of those at Zeke's Eatin'Place every now and again.   And eggs aren't bad with them, either.

I sometimes make up two large, thin hamburger patties and put chorizo and and shredded Romano cheese in between them. Grilled or broiled in the oven and served on thick sliced bread with spicy pickles that I make myself and mayo or mild horseradish sauce.

Archived