SASS Wire Forum

Sources for your lead?

John Ruth

So my typical sources for lead are going to the local tire shops and getting buckets of wheel weights. Haven't had to do that in a while since I'm sitting on about 500lbs, but was curious what everyone else's sources are. 

Only problem with wheel weights is smelting it all down and getting rid of the steel clips and all that other junk in there. Not a terribly difficult task but time consuming for sure. Those of you who use wheel weights, do you ever put tin in the mix to harden it or don't even bother? 

I now get most of mine from sellers on Cast Boolits forum, Swap and Sell.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

There's folks with wheel weight content, soft lead and sometimes even linotype there.

There's a feller I've ordered two or three batches from, who is offering a 1000 pound lot of isotope cores at $1.50 a pound.    That stuff is about the cleanest "wheel weight" alloy you will find today.   Yes, it shielded medical radiation sources.  No, it is NOT radioactive. 

Adding tin to wheel weights does not increase the hardness of a lead alloy much at all.  The 2 to 3% of antimony in wheel weights is enough to get the alloy hardness up to at least 11 Brinell Hardness.  Plenty for any cowboy loads!

But, I add 1/2% (by weight) tin to get the alloy to fill out molds better (reduces surface tension).  That is 2 ounces of tin or 3 ounces of solder per a 20 pound batch of alloy.  Casts a better filled-out bullet.  Especially important when I cast long range rifle bullets!  My long range bullets will hold 1 MOA with a good powder from my .30-06 Springfield and Marlin 1895 .45-70 (using iron sights, even).  Hardly needed when casting cowboy handgun caliber slugs.

good luck, GJ

I don't add a thing to my WW lead except more lead. It's already plenty hard enough for CAS bullets. I get WW's, roof flashing, lead pipe we dig up at work. whatever comes along. I've got lots of lino but only use it sparingly for my rifle bullets. 

Wheel Weights today are not lead.

They are zinc or other non lead metals.

You need to sort the none lead weight from the lead weights.

You can look at the weights for markings.

Not all are marked.

FN-Zn are zinc.

Another thing to look at is the cross section of the clip on weights. (from the end)

Lead weights have a tear drop look.

Zinc weight have a trapezoid look.

I worked 23 years at a lead smelter. :) 
After that, I've scrounged lead from a remodeling project at a hospital, a few hundred pounds of lead sash weights a friend had, a few feet of lead pipe a neighbor had (big stuff, about 8" diameter), airplane counterweights, sailboat ballast, dive weights, and most recently 2000 pounds of sheared up lead counterweight I got for 50¢ a pound from a heavy equipment repair and salvage yard. 

Every tire shop I'm aware of quit giving away, or selling, wheel weights 15+ years ago - "We're under contract to the recycling yard", or "We can't sell toxic waste to the public"... Me: "Toxic waste? I can go online and buy lead" Them: "After it's been recycled, it's not considered toxic waste anymore"... Just toxic, I guess. :wacko:

Some states have banned lead wheel weights altogether.

Lead.thumb.jpg.4ba777405d0e33903248990a1572c9b0.jpg

Still a bit big for the lead pot. 

LeadChunk.thumb.jpg.c5b12a6614abe301e0e32695b0fcc970.jpg 

I have shot straight wheel weights for 45 yrs. I do not add anything.

On the clips i melt in a seperate pot . I put a small Speaker Magnet on a 12 inch angle iron.

When the lead melts the clips come to the top. Take your Magnet take your Magnet over them.

They come rite out. Skim off . I put  Marvel Lux stir it up. Skim off the impurities.

Then i pour it into a Cup Cake pan. Then start all over. The pot i melt everything in is a Lyman 20 lb. pot. 

I use Insulated Welding cloves when i am pouring .

I had to Drill a Hole in the Magnet and Angle Iron . Some Magnets have holes in them already.

By the time you have a pot ready to pour the lead in the cup cake pan are cool enuff to handle.

I put them in 5 Gallon buckets. 

This is what works for me.

You can get used Cup Cake pans at Yard sales . I have 2 that i use .

When you are ready to Cast no mess straight lead .

Before I stopped casting, I made friends with the manager of a local metal recycling company. I bought lead directly from his company for a bit better than the market rate.

17 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You just need a good hurricane every few years to replenish the supply.

Hurricane, schmurricane.

:lol:

(I know you're just baiting me using the H word).

I have 4 different sources now for keels. No supply shortage here. 

I've only ever gotten one boat in due to hurricane damage. Maybe next year though.

Archived