SASS Wire Forum

An American and Australian are arguing over the spelling of 'jail'

Buckshot Bear

An American and Australian are arguing over the spelling of 'jail'

Aussie says, 'Look mate, it's spelt G-A-O-L, that's the original correct spelling used by the English.'

The American looks over to their British buddy, 'Sort this out for us will ya, how did you learn to spell it?'

'A-U-S-T-R-A-L-I-A'.

Wallaby,

The history that we've been taught in the US, c. 1970, is that Australia was settled by the convicts that England sent there.

Now, I'm certainly not going to delve into topics of which I know very little, but that's what we were taught.

Hence, the punch line above.

15 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

Wallaby,

The history that we've been taught in the US, c. 1970, is that Australia was settled by the convicts that England sent there.

Now, I'm certainly not going to delve into topics of which I know very little, but that's what we were taught.

Hence, the punch line above.

When England no longer had the North American colonies to send convicts to, they organized what was called First Fleet to take convicts to Aus.  It was followed by other “Fleets”. As prisoners finished their time they were given a chance to settle there.  Eventually there were women who went to settle there.  After these women got there, the frying pans got cleaner and cooked was not always brown.

or so I read in a book on Australian cuisine.

Archived