SASS Wire Forum

Cornelia Clark Fort

Subdeacon Joe

"Did you know that the first US pilot to encounter the Japanese at Pearl Harbor was a woman?

Cornelia Clark Fort was a flight instructor on Oahu who was teaching takeoffs and landings to a student in an Interstate Cadet on December 7, 1941, when Fort saw a military airplane on a collision course and swiftly grabbed the controls from her student to pull up over the oncoming aircraft. It was then she saw the rising sun insignia on the wings. 

She quickly landed at John Rodgers airport near the mouth of Pearl Harbor. A pursuing Zero strafed her plane and the runway as she and her student ran for cover. 

The experience changed her forever, later becoming the second member of what was to be the Women Airforce Service Pilots or WASP.  

Today marks the #80thAnniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a sobering reminder of the devastation of war that led to the formal entry of the United States into #WorldWarII.

Fort remarked of her service, "I, for one, am profoundly grateful that my one talent, my only knowledge, flying, happens to be of use to my country when it is needed.  That’s all the luck I ever hope to have."

#CAF1957 #RiseAbove #WASP #WWII #Aviation #History #Heritage #SheCan #SistersOfTheSky #StrongWomen #Strength #OnThisDay

"

Another Facebook find.

FB_IMG_1638925953940.jpg

She was also the first female military pilot killed on active duty.  She was a WASP and was killed in a mid-air collision on March 21, 1943. Another of the greatest generation. 

A small airport in Nashville that recently closed was named after that lady!!

Archived