SASS Wire Forum

Auto-ordnance 1911

Trigger Mike

My only experience with an Auto Ordnance 1911 was my friend's. It  patterned nicely at 10 yards. :blink:

It always fired but it's accuracy was Storm Trooper like.

Their new stuff [Kahr owned] is good. Their older stuff was pretty iffy on QC. Se Mixup98's review on an older one on youtube.

My son has an older NY made one. It is on par with the Rock Island I had 7-8 years ago, once a spring kit was installed.

It had weak springs in it: too light in the slide and hammer. It would barely chamber and made light primer strikes. After springs, it is reasonably accurate and functions fine.

Based on perform, reliability accuracy and cost I'd place my RIA in #1 spot.  I had a very very good gunsmith, who is also one of the most reasonably priced, put a wonderful civilian blue job on it, junked the smooth wood grips for some Sarco machine checkered (NOT laser engraved) "double diamond" walnut grips, and found a dozen Colt magazines.

Dropped it in a Ted Blocker holster and I'm ready for town.  Colt might be a bit better...for double the cost or more...but I can't see it.  Can't speak for Kimber, but again it costs a bunch more.  The Springfield is as good as the RIA but I haven't found a GI issue type gun from them.

I bought mine from the Bullet Barn in Upland California in 2012 and it has never had a hiccup since I found the right magazines.....maybe 2,500 rounds ago.

I've owned a bunch of 1911s in the last 65 years, new, used, surplus military, one exLEO piece, and civilian and stand by this opinion.

Just about any of the Philippino 1911's are good buys. I'd rate Springfield slightly above them. I have a Citadel 1911 that is spot on good quality and good accuracy for a decent price.

I have no experience with AO but here they are decent now days.

My brother has an Auto Ordnance that he has had for decades. The barrel bushing broke early in its life, but after replacing it, it has been a solid performer for him. The sights leave some to be desired, but it is otherwise quite accurate in his hands. I would go so far to say it is hands down his favorite firearm.

I just hope Remington comes back out with the R-1 and that it is as good as the pre bankruptcy ones. I had one Rock Island...and will probably NEVER buy another thing with Rock Island on it again based on my personal experience with that one. The Springfields I have aren't too bad.

ATI makes a very good 1911 also.

Archived