SASS Wire Forum

Looking for ways to speed up the raffle at our annual match.

just finished our annual match Sat.  Everything went well till we got to the raffle (last event before the awards and then folks can hit the trail home)

folks buy tickets in strips of 20

put one half in bag in front of item they want

when raffle starts we pull out a ticket and read the number

.then wait and wait till the winner looks at all his tickets for the right number  -- TOOK FOREVER

so what suggestions does the Wire have to help us?  The raffle is a big money-maker for us so cutting it out or reducing the number of prizes is not really an option

thanks in advance

cheyenne

Make em write their alias on the stub they drop in. No name, draw another.

1 minute ago, DeaconKC said:

What DeaconKC said.  

With your raffle format that’s probably the fastest and easiest. 

In the old days you had the choice of 1 ticket for $5 or 5 for $20.

Now there's the arm stretch for $20. Having more tickets doesn't necessarily give me better odds of winning because everyone else also has more tickets. 

Go back to the old way and have them write their alias on the ticket. 

That's my opinion, 

BS

Have a deadline for dropping ticket into the bag. Before the awards, have a three person group select a ticket out of each bag and tape it to the item. Tell everyone to check the items to see if they won anything. If they write their name on the tickets or Initials, it is much easier and faster, but it then take zero time out of the awards. Folks check after they finish shooting or on their way to the awards. If you are worried about thief's taking something they didn't win, then find a different bunch to hang out with. It's worked for us the past 20 years. The ONLY tickets we draw live are the High Dollar tickets for Guns or Major prizes. We always have 3 major prizes and about 50 smaller prizes. It is the smaller prizes that are selected in advance of the awards.

Snakebite

Raise the price for each ticket.

Folks go into a raffle like this with a set amount they’re willing to spend. You won’t make more or less by changing the ticket price. 

$5/ticket means 80% fewer tickets than $1/ticket. Same revenue. Faster distribution. 

Do the raffle pull by Match Staff 2 nights before award day...post the winners of each raffle item the day before...they have 2 days to collect item before heading home.

(How WR has always done it)

OR 

Call an award...while folks are getting their photo taken, draw a raffle ticket.

Repeat award, raffle

Award, raffle...

(How LR has done it)

Of course, names on ticket for the pre draw is a must...and is a easy way for the draw.

Wow! If you have 20 tickets look at the first and the last, if the # isn't between the first and the last you didn't win. Takes all of 2 seconds. We attend shoots all over and thats the way the raffles are run. It doesn't need to take forever to run raffles.

kR

22 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I have been at shoots where an individual has spent as much as $800 on tickets, putting your name on each ticket would almost be impossible. We frequently spend $100 on tickets. The main idea is to support the shoot and bring the cost to the club down. I guarantee I would not spend as much if I had to put my name on each one.

kR

9 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Wow! If you have 20 tickets look at the first and the last, if the # isn't between the first and the last you didn't win. Takes all of 2 seconds. We attend shoots all over and thats the way the raffles are run. It doesn't need to take forever to run raffles.

kR

Thank you. I was just going to post the same. 
It dawned on my earlier that if you buy a string of tickets it ain’t exactly brain surgery to figure out how to quickly figure out what ticket numbers you have. 

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I have been at shoots where an individual has spent as much as $800 on tickets, putting your name on each ticket would almost be impossible. We frequently spend $100 on tickets. The main idea is to support the shoot and bring the cost to the club down. I guarantee I would not spend as much if I had to put my name on each one.

kR

I hear what you are saying, I have helped folks who did the same thing [large purchase] fill out names on dozens of tickets at Friends of the NRA Banquets before. We had to go to the name on ticket method because of the huge delays it caused. OP asked for suggestions to speed things up and there will never be any solution to any problem that is perfect for everyone.

We used to attend a yearly outdoor writers conference and my wife easily spent $200-$300 on tickets. She would write the beginning and ending numbers on a paper. After years of playing bingo with 6-12 cards, she's pretty fast at scanning numbers.

You could also have levels of tickets, as in higher values for nicer equipment/guns, with different colors, so it would be easy to know which string of tickets to check.

We also used runners to bring the prize to the winner to save time.

I understand what Kid Rich is saying about the name thing. You could request that they put an alias but not make it mandatory.

Archived