SASS Wire Forum

'66 Loading Gate

Buckshot Bear

PLUS ONE for Abilene.  That ain't a '66 Loading gate.  That be a '73 loading gate.

And, just FYI, a '73 Loading gate doesn't need any reenforcement.  Fine as is.

Not sure if I'm gonna' keep it on yet, its a helluva' lot easier for my wife to load the '73 with it on, but it has the tendency (or its how my wife is loading) that when its past say 6 - 7 in the mag tube that rounds can come back out as my wife loads because it doesn't have that '73 'lip' that makes the '73 harder to load for her.

I tried one last year but the bar is so thin and week that I had trouble with it pulling down from just the spring tension when loaded causing irregular feeding . Maybe someone knows how to strengthen it

28 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I tried one last year but the bar is so thin and week that I had trouble with it pulling down from just the spring tension when loaded causing irregular feeding . Maybe someone knows how to strengthen it

Yeah I think that's what I'm finding the same thing with this one. 

The top one broke clear off, so I made a piece with a large foot and silver soldered it on. That was at least fifteen years ago, and it still works fine. The other one was reinforced with a tab silver soldered on, then filled with JB Weld.

1866Ladles 001.jpg

Top, old style 66 loading gate with solid welded tab.  They quit making these years ago.  Next, bent tab gate with the tab broken off. This is what current Uberti and most replacements are.  Bottom, bent tab gate with metal bar soldered behind the tab.  This is usually a permanent fix.

Someone sent you the wrong gate.  As noted the one in the photo is for a 73.

P1000302.thumb.jpeg.a4aa653056cb5e7b48d7dd4c0ab7fcc9.jpeg

I bought my '66 from a fellow shooter about 2 years ago, and she had bought it from Slick McClade many, many years prior.  Here's what the tab looks like.  I don't know if Slick was the one who did it but whoever it was did a good job.

Version 2.jpeg

The descriptions says "66 style Uberti 1873 loading gate."  Sligthly confusing but the description and text below it say it is for a 73.  The "style" means it is not dished like a factory 73 it is troughed like a 66.  Supposedly makes loaded rounds easier.

The 66 style loading gate for the 73 does not need to be reinforced.It's the much smaller tab on the 66 loading gate that breaks and jams the action up.

39 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The 66 style loading gate for the 73 does not need to be re enforced.It's the much smaller tab on the 66 loading gate that breaks and jams the action up.

Let's not get into that confusion again.  The gate in question is NOT a 66 gate it is for a 73.  Nothing to do with a 66 gate or reinforcement.

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Let's not get into that confusion again.  The gate in question is NOT a 66 gate it is for a 73.  Nothing to do with a 66 gate or reinforcement.

That's what I was saying, Only the 66 loading gates need to be reinforced, Not the 66/73 style

I have put these on all my 73s. 1 worked great out of the box, the other 2 I needed to bend it a little more to increase the tension. As described earlier, it would not close once tension on the magazine spring increased with more rounds in the tube. Also you may need to do some filing on either the gate or lifter arm, because the gate catches on the lifter arm when you push it in all the way while loading.

Archived