SASS Wire Forum

Pick The Real One

Yul Lose

My wife manages a large avocado and citrus farm and ornamental eucalyptus. The ornamental eucalyptus has become the big money maker any more because after the first year it takes very little water. The packing houses end up screwing the growers out of most of the profits on the citrus and avocados so they have started selling most of those crops to the farmers market operators for cash. The ornamental customers pay cash also. My wife took a deposit to the bank today and the money counting machine rejected a $20.00 bill and a $100.00 bill as being counterfeit. So in the first picture can you tell which one is fake?

The second picture is of the 20 and the 100 together. I held both of them up to the light and it sure looks like they have the colored threads in them. The teller at the bank told my wife that there’s been a slew of fake bills lately. My wife sends them up to the corporate office and they handle it from there.

38627ABB-9819-4CF5-9A69-43BD28439C54.jpeg

7EDF0023-47DF-4362-82CF-C64518C6B22C.jpeg

6AB796C3-F6DB-4005-9E05-E4B46B613835.jpeg

I'm going to say the top 100 dollar bill is the real one.  Hard to tell from the photograph but the top one looks a little cleaner.  I hd to blow the picture up 500% to start seeing any difference.  You can usually tell by the micro-printing and the feel of the paper.  There's lots of security features on paper currency but someone who's in a hurry may not catch a fake.    

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm going to say the top 100 dollar bill is the real one.  Hard to tell from the photograph but the top one looks a little cleaner.  I hd to blow the picture up 500% to start seeing any difference.  You can usually tell by the micro-printing and the feel of the paper.  There's lots of security features on paper currency but someone who's in a hurry may not catch a fake.    

The teller told my wife that these would have fooled a lot of people. 

Round these parts $50 on up at least get a marker test stripe, and a lot of $20 do too.   Any chance those fake bills would pass that test? I would think those money checking pens should be relatively easy to obtain for a business. 

33 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Do you get re-imbursed or is that money lost?

It’s lost.

30 minutes ago, Renegade Plowboy said:

Round these parts $50 on up at least get a marker test stripe, and a lot of $20 do too.   Any chance those fake bills would pass that test? I would think those money checking pens should be relatively easy to obtain for a business. 

According to the teller the pens are not 100%.

45 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

According to the teller the pens are not 100%.

They aren't.  They test the paper. Just because the paper is good it doesn't mean that the bill's legit.

After they changed the ink several years ago, you can wash the printing off of bills.  Watermarks and security strips don't wash off.  Printing a larger denomination on a washed out $1 or $5 isn't unusual.  Hold them up to a light and check the watermark on newer bills.

1 hour ago, Renegade Plowboy said:

The markers are on the shelf at walmart for anyone to buy.  Some of the counterfeiters can beat the markers.  Now there are counterfeit detecting machines that scan one bill at a time for $50-150 online.

You ever wonder if the government doesn’t want us to trust our money so we all use electronic currency…

Sounds “Sci-Fi” doesn’t it?

Wakey-Wakey…

I have encountered businesses that will not accept cash.  Years ago, a smaller gas station/convenience store chain wouldn’t allow its employees to take cash because some of them were shorting the registers.

Last week, I stopped at a Fastenal store to buy some bolts. They refused cash. I refused to do business with them.

I hope the teller did not give you back the counterfeit bills as they are supposed to be seized immediately. We have currency counter machines that catch fakes. Most are inside jobs from big chain stores where the checkout person takes one from a friend and they 

Split the money later. Irish ☘️ Pat

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Money looks like this 

image.jpeg.2dffa4fee7625eef43e7bc418943de8b.jpeg

......... and is made of plastic

;)

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And is used in the game "Monopoly"!

..... no, but it's real handy in the game "Matrimony" .......  ;)

....... and absolutely essential in the game "Life As We Know It"  <_<

Our (Canadian) money is now printed on vinyl c/w holograms.

One and two dollar bills have been replaced by coins.

We discontinued the penny as well, rounding up or down to the nearest .05 for cash transactions.

So if this pandemic ever ends and you are up here, don't freak out over our money.

It ain't worth much, but it's all we got.

10-1600x766.jpg

boc2-e1582725269901.jpg

hundred-dollar-bill-1-1600x767.jpg

twenty-dollar-2-1600x764.jpg

Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

Bear behind Two Dollar Coin.jpg

Hopefully at a bank they will have the expertise to determine if a bill is legitimate or not. But some gas station clerk I wouldn't trust telling me it was fake and confiscating it.

Recently I handed a young grocery checkout girl a $100 dollar bill. She used the marker and wasn't sure and started to look around for a manager or more experienced  clerk. I had another newer bill and gave it to her and she handed the first one back to me. I hadn't noticed but it was a 1990 bill. I had a couple of the older bills straight from the bank atm. Used ot a few days later at the same store with no issue.

I had to do some banking yesterday and I asked the teller the best way to tell if a bill was fake or not if you didn’t have a pen and she showed me how to test them. On real money if you look at the clothing that Benjamin and Andrew are wearing you will see stripes on the fabric. If you hold the bill between your thumb and finger and run your thumb across the fabric you can feel the stripes or pattern, on the fake bills you can’t. I tried a number of them and you can feel the ridges.

F8F147E5-68A7-4C12-989F-6C5BFC1D0640.jpeg

3AC36B23-387C-4DEE-B568-E268023B413E.jpeg

EA3A2B36-CD6A-40E5-98E4-2F1885C607BE.jpeg

66FF0534-5B32-40DB-A748-F489E9978B25.jpeg

Don't know about banks not returning counterfeit bills to the customer -- makes sense, I'd reckon.

On the other hand, the local branch of the Federal Reserve gave me a bag of what they said was about $5,000 in counterfeit money. I don't think they need to worry about me trying to spend it, though . . .

2048889878_IMG_04231.thumb.JPG.1f339c7962d2d2f26d8dc15ac5242248.JPG

On 12/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Our (Canadian) money is now printed on vinyl c/w holograms.

One and two dollar bills have been replaced by coins.

We discontinued the penny as well, rounding up or down to the nearest .05 for cash transactions.

So if this pandemic ever ends and you are up here, don't freak out over our money.

It ain't worth much, but it's all we got.

10-1600x766.jpg

boc2-e1582725269901.jpg

hundred-dollar-bill-1-1600x767.jpg

twenty-dollar-2-1600x764.jpg

Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

Bear behind Two Dollar Coin.jpg

So all of the Canadian pennies I have been saving are now collectors items? Woo hoo!  I can retire on 50 cents.

Archived