SASS Wire Forum

Sweeps

Cockney Rebel

34 minutes ago, Cockney Rebel said:

Where do I find a description of all the various SASS target sweeps?

Darlin....don't over think things!!!

Guess what?...most sweeps are called something different, in EVERY area you go.

Just listen to the instruction.

If the sweep is a 'Badger' sweep to you, then there ya go.

4 minutes ago, Cockney Rebel said:

Singin Sue, I appreciate what you say, I am just looking to familarise myself with the more common sweeps.  There's already a lot going through my head as a new shooter as it is :-)

Exactly! Don't let the 'a lot to take it' happen all at once! No reason to get over whelmed.

The only two sweeps I 'know' to be the same are: Lawrence Welk/progressive ( a 1 anda 2 anda 3 anda 4)

And the Nevada/continuous sweep.

Go have fun.

Learn.

Don't get bummed if you get called out.

Just BE SAFE!

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The only two sweeps I 'know' to be the same are: Lawrence Welk/progressive ( a 1 anda 2 anda 3 anda 4)

And, at some shoots, that is called an IRS Sweep.   (a 1 anda 2 anda 3 anda 4)

ive seen the same sweeps under different names depending on where you go , you have to follow the directions and ignore the name even if it sets off your spidy senses , ive even seen some named for local club favorites , but the basics are to follow the direction --- easier said than done often enough under any name 

The only sweep i use any kind of name for when I write stages is the Nevada because it's pretty much the same everywhere. Otherwise I just describe the shooting order. It's easier than trying to remember what sweep name goes with what shooting order.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

On 12/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Exactly! Don't let the 'a lot to take it' happen all at once! No reason to get over whelmed.

Go have fun.

Learn.

Don't get bummed if you get called out.

Just BE SAFE!

Sue, Like you said earlier. We were in Casper,WY a number of years ago and a NV Sweep was called a Natrona sweep (The name of the county where Casper lies)

Jasper

3 minutes ago, Jasper Agate said:

Sue, Like you said earlier. We were in Casper,WY a number of years ago and a NV Sweep was called a Natrona sweep (The name of the county where Casper lies)

Jasper

Yup...

If you shoot across the country, as Kid Rich and Shirtail Bess do, you are bound to hear many names.

We have heard a large handfull. Most matches you will hear one phrase...

" oh, at home we call that a ------------sweep":rolleyes:

As has been pointed out, a lot of sweeps were 'created' in different places, and as a result some have different names.

A while back I was trying to collect sweeps as a dry fire practice strategy -- trying to avoid getting into a routine by running the same sweep in dry fire, while 'shooting' as many different sweeps as possible. I wound up going down a rabbit hole of google proportions, and dragged in sweeps from as many different sources as I could find. What I came up with bears out what others have said -- as an e.g., the same sweep is named 'Arizona,' 'IRS,' 'Lawrence Welk,' 'Progressive,' and "Montana.'

In any event, nearly all stage descriptions will specify the pattern of engagement even if they name the sweep just to avoid said confusion.

One thing I did come up with out of my musings was kind of a reverse look-up; if you know the number of shots, the number of targets, and the target order, you can use it pretty much like a dictionary to come up with a name if the sweep has one.

In the spirit of answering your specific question, what I have attached is where I left off when I found out The Outlaw Travis James was working on a similar, albeit much more comprehensive and far-reaching project, and I handed everything I had over to him.

Edited -- attached in Excel vice PDFCowboy Sweep Reverse Look-up.pdf

After seeing the dozens of names for sweeps, I just ask the TO to explain what I will be shooting.

Sweeps, sweeps, sweeps. The basics are the Bread and Butter of the game. They are indeed sometimes called by a different name. Every so often a new an unique target order is sprung on us.... that's OK as long as it's not over done. I've stopped shooting at one club because someone there thinks it's "Cute" to try and confuse as many shooters as possible every chance he gets. I love fun and moderately involved stages, but when it comes to the actual shooting, target engagement should not require 128 GB of Ram just to remember what to do.

Snakebite

10 hours ago, Colesville Bob, SASS # 27700 said:

A sweep I didn't see mentioned was one we called the Greene Sweep, from the long gone Border Rangers in NY.  

Five targets:  1-5-2-5-3-5-4-5-5-5. 

Colesville Bob

That sounds like a really fun sweep -- if it didn't make it onto the 'net somewhere, I likely didn't find it. There are plenty of other sweeps that are not on that list

re:

16 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

what I have attached is where I left off

With OTJ working it, I stopped digging up sweeps and moved on to other rabbit holes.

Twin Peaks & Wonderland — Found In Twin Peaks (S2, EP4): Inside the Rabbit ...

Archived