SASS Wire Forum

1873 Pietta

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

9 minutes ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

Thinking about buying a set of these with 4 3/4 barrels.  Those of you that have these pistols what are your thoughts on them ?

Get a pair from the Great Western II line from EMF (Pietta  USA), outstanding!

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1873-Great-Western-II-Revolvers-c64.htm

Just got one of those myself. It is a Frontier in 45C through Cimarron Arms and seems very nice! First Pietta version I've ever had.  First thing I did was order a 45acp cyl for it (I just like convertibles!!) I'm in the process of making it "mine" so I'll chime in more later. 

Mike

PLUS ONE for McCandless.

Spent a lot of years setting up SAs for CAS.  I consider the GW II from EMF to be the best value for dollar in a SAA replica.  They take the least amount of after purchase work to make Competition ready.  Super well Made.  I also have nothing but kudos for the rest of the Pietta line up as well.

I used the Pietta Trigger/Bolt spring for all of my non-Pietta action work.  Basically, the only thing I replaced was Main Springs.  Excellent guns.

Make sure you get the original GW II model, with a firing pin in the hammer.   The Maverick line has transfer bars in them.

Of the various EMF models, I personally like the Alchimista II with the "1860" size and shape grip frame, and lowered hammer spur.   But I'm a duelist.

good luck, GJ

36 minutes ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Frontier in 45C through Cimarron Arms

Believe the one that Cimarron calls their Frontier is a Uberti built gun, not a Pietta.

If you got a Traditions imported and marked "Frontier" gun, then that is a Pietta, with a transfer bar.

Cimarron does not handle new Piettas, AFAIK. 

Correct me if that is old or incorrect..... GJ

20211110_155457.thumb.jpg.6ba3a80dfceacc3bf40af67f3253addf.jpg

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Believe the one that Cimarron calls their Frontier is a Uberti built gun, not a Pietta.

If you got a Traditions imported and marked "Frontier" gun, then that is a Pietta, with a transfer bar.

Nope, it's a real live bony- fide made by Pietta in 2020 Frontier 45C .  As I understand it, Cimarron calls their line of '73 copies "Frontier" no matter who manufacturers them. (sides, I know what Pietta parts look like  lol!! )  I know, it can be confusing!

Mike

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

1 hour ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Nope, it's a real live bony- fide made by Pietta in 2020 Frontier 45C .  As I understand it, Cimarron calls their line of '73 copies "Frontier" no matter who manufacturers them. (sides, I know what Pietta parts look like  lol!! )  I know, it can be confusing!

Mike

No and No. :)

Cimarron's Frontier line is all Piettas.  All 4-click standard hammer and firing pin.  They are essentially the same gun as EMF's GWII with some marking differences.  EMF may have more options with lowered hammers, larger grips, etc.

When looking at anything on Cimarron's website, if in doubt, any model number starting with PP is a Pietta.  Starting with MP, CA, ER and a few others is Uberti.

Some confusion could arise because Cimarron in the past has called some of their Uberti Model P's (I think the ones with optional bone meal case colors) "Frontier Six Shooter"

On 12/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, McCandless said:

Get a pair from the Great Western II line from EMF (Pietta  USA), outstanding!

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1873-Great-Western-II-Revolvers-c64.htm

I'd LOVE to have a pair of them, but does anyone have them in stock???

As stated, Cimarron Frontiers are Piettas with 4 click actions.  They are available for purchase and in stock at one of my suppliers in 43/4” bbl 45 lc.  Not trying to hijack or solicit.  Just trying to help a fellow cowboy out looking to secure some pistols.  I personally own both GWII and Frontiers.  Except for stampings, same guns.

I got a pair from Dixie Gun Works and am very pleased with them. They are the only pistols I ever bought that I didn't have to work on when they arrived. A different pair of grips was the only thing I did.

Lucky 

On 12/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

Thinking about buying a set of these with 4 3/4 barrels.  Those of you that have these pistols what are your thoughts on them ?

Wondering where you might have found any of them actually in stock.  I've about given up.

23 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Bought a couple for my grandson to use he loves them but he loves anything that goes bang when he pulls the trigger, boy is he costing me money getting him in to this sport.

And the problem is? :D

On 12/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

Wondering where you might have found any of them actually in stock.  I've about given up.

I’ve been calling EMF for about a year asking about the Deluxe Californian GWII but they never seem to have the one I want.

I did find the standard Californian with the 4.75” barrel in .45 Colt on GrabaGun:

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/revolvers/pietta-1873-gw2-californian-case-color-hardened-45-lc-4-75-barrel-6-rounds.html

A Canadian SASS member posted photos of a Pietta 1873 set up like the Deluxe Californian (blued steel Navy size grip frame) with the wide hammer and the wide set back trigger like the Alchimista II.  That is exactly what I’d like but EMF says they’ve never carried or heard of this variant.  Possibly made to the specifications of the importer in Canada.

Cimarron defines "Old Model" as having a bullseye ejector tab, possibly impeding reholstering, and a base pin secured with a screw. My Pietta GWII has the base pin secured with the familiar spring-loaded pin and has the streamlined ejector tab. If the Frontier is the only 4-click action Cimarron offers, the guns from Pietta are not the same.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/cartridge-revolvers/old-model-pre-war-frame-comparison.html

4 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Cimarron defines "Old Model" as having a bullseye ejector tab, possibly impeding reholstering, and a base pin secured with a screw. My Pietta GWII has the base pin secured with the familiar spring-loaded pin and has the streamlined ejector tab. If the Frontier is the only 4-click action Cimarron offers, the guns from Pietta are not the same.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/cartridge-revolvers/old-model-pre-war-frame-comparison.html

Both the Uberti and Pietta single actions come in two frame styles.  The page in your link is showing the difference between Uberti Old-Model (BP-frame) and Pre-War model P's .  The same differences exist in their Pietta Old-Model and Pre-War Frontiers, except the Pre-War Piettas do not have a medallion in the grip like the Pre-War Ubertis.  All their Piettas, Old-Model or Pre-War, have 4-click hammers.

Some years back EMF also carried a BP-frame GW-II, but they didn't for a long time and I don't think they do now, but I'm not sure.

I have a pair of Cimarron Frontier 38/357s with 4 3/4" barrels.  The only gripe I have is that the cylinder is so tight that even the slightest high primer drags and locks them up.  As long as my primers are flush or below like they're supposed to be, they shoot just fine.  They seem to be doing the job for this (very new) Cowboy.

18 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Not a thing except the shrinking of my wallet.

Heck, there's a permanent tape outline on the floor below the computer where my wallet fell and bled out.

:ph34r:

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Both the Uberti and Pietta single actions come in two frame styles.  The page in your link is showing the difference between Uberti Old-Model (BP-frame) and Pre-War model P's .  The same differences exist in their Pietta Old-Model and Pre-War Frontiers, except the Pre-War Piettas do not have a medallion in the grip like the Pre-War Ubertis.  All their Piettas, Old-Model or Pre-War, have 4-click hammers.

Some years back EMF also carried a BP-frame GW-II, but they didn't for a long time and I don't think they do now, but I'm not sure.

It appears to me that the name Frontier only applies to Old Model, which is included in the model names of the Frontier series (Cimarron). I opted to seek out a Pietta GWII and got what I wanted in 4-click and spring loaded base pin latch and streamlined ejector tab, compromising on blued (actually black) instead of stainless to match my other gun. In all my searching last year I only found one gun in the country (45 Colt 5.5").

4 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

It appears to me that the name Frontier only applies to Old Model, which is included in the model names of the Frontier series (Cimarron). I opted to seek out a Pietta GWII and got what I wanted in 4-click and spring loaded base pin latch and streamlined ejector tab, compromising on blued (actually black) instead of stainless to match my other gun. In all my searching last year I only found one gun in the country (45 Colt 5.5").

Well, I'm afraid you are mistaken.  Frontier is the name Cimarron gives to all Pietta models.  Admittedly, their website is not very user-friendly (IMO), but here is an example of a Pre-War frame Cimarron Pietta Frontier: 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/frontier-model-357-38-sp-4-3-4-in.html

Not to be confused with a few laser-engraved models that specify "Old Silver Frame" which only refers to the finish on a pre-war frame.

p.s. I worked for them for around 15 years so am quite familiar with their line. :)

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, I'm afraid you are mistaken.  Frontier is the name Cimarron gives to all Pietta models.  Admittedly, their website is not very user-friendly (IMO), but here is an example of a Pre-War frame Cimarron Pietta Frontier: 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/frontier-model-357-38-sp-4-3-4-in.html

Not to be confused with a few laser-engraved models that specify "Old Silver Frame" which only refers to the finish on a pre-war frame.

p.s. I worked for them for around 15 years so am quite familiar with their line. :)

My Pietta (GWII) came from EMF, not Cimarron. I am not seeing where I need to be corrected here. I think it is a fact that Cimarron's site is only offering Old Model in the Frontier. All pictures included the base pin secured by a screw. As another matter, there is only one engraved model that actually shows any stock. Who knows what will follow and whether what they did in the past is still relevant. I think it is still true that only Pietta, by their advertising via a website, offers a modern feature style gun with 4-click, SAA Colt style action. I wouldn't care to have to carry a screwdriver for my base pin, so only Pietta was of interest in lieu of finding old stock in an Uberti like the one I already had.

The page you linked could be a website figment that is no longer displayed as an offering. It is out of stock according to the text. 

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

My Pietta (GWII) came from EMF, not Cimarron. I am not seeing where I need to be corrected here. I think it is a fact that Cimarron's site is only offering Old Model in the Frontier. All pictures included the base pin secured by a screw. As another matter, there is only one engraved model that actually shows any stock. Who knows what will follow and whether what they did in the past is still relevant. I think it is still true that only Pietta, by their advertising via a website, offers a modern feature style gun with 4-click, SAA Colt style action. I wouldn't care to have to carry a screwdriver for my base pin, so only Pietta was of interest in lieu of finding old stock in an Uberti like the one I already had.

The page you linked could be a website figment that is no longer displayed as an offering. It is out of stock according to the text. 

The reason you need to be corrected remains.  Cimarron's Frontier line is Piettas, and they are offered in both Old Model and Pre-War frames.  The link I included shows a Pre-War frame Pietta with transverse base pin latch.  What is currently in stock is totally irrelevant.  

Lots of differing opinions on this, so I thought I’d add mine (with pictures). I purchases this Cimarron (made by Pietta) 4 3/4” 44 WCF.  It is a 4 click, firing pin on the hammer, spring loaded base pin release, half moon ejector rod head.  Base pin was replaced by me with a single position base pin, not the 2 position “safety” base pin that it came with. I also stripped the grips and refinished with boiled linseed oil. In the interest of full disclosure, this was purchased just a bit over 2 years ago (just before Covid) from Bud’s Gun Shop. 

For the OP original question-I like my Pietta. It has a firing pin bushing in the frame, a replaceable cam on the hammer, it uses a coil spring for the hand rather than the leaf spring attached to the hand.  It shoots a little high for me, but plenty accurate enough for CAS targets. .5 ounces heavier than the real Colt (45 Colt). Things I don’t care for are the trigger guard does not have the bevels that are on Uberti clones, and the profile of the frame around the ejector rod housing is not the same as a Uberti or Colt. 

DE6278BF-5A58-4AA8-AC41-75D4A9C309F8.jpeg

22702E75-BA08-43DA-889F-1CF67C0AE9B1.jpeg

53644442-6044-4595-B4DA-6ADAE2AFF7E4.jpeg

F09D9597-3724-42F2-8259-FAA842ABD294.jpeg

67B51EA3-7714-4B14-BDF0-B47F26EB72F4.jpeg

3FFAF399-C97F-45E3-80A5-EE1234503053.jpeg

Archived