SASS Wire Forum

Restoration Project?? Marlin 1893 32 40

Ozark Okie

I have recently obtained an old Marlin that I would like to restore to working order, maybe occasional shooter. This project may not be viable considering availability of parts and my capabilities. So, I'm looking for opinions, comments, suggestions.

The rifle was exposed to a house fire, water, rust. Barrel will have to be straightened, maybe replaced; there is no wood, neither forearm nor stock; and several other significant parts are missing...bolt, lever, springs, screws. It does have hammer and carrier. 

Initial searches of the internet have not shown any promise for locating bolt or lever. Next move is to ask experts like this forum, Marlin Owners, and others?

Questions at this point - 

- do I have a reasonable chance of finding the required parts? 

- if parts can be found, would this rifle be a viable candidate to make an occasional shooter? 

I wouldn't even consider such a project  if it were not such a neat gun.....unusual caliber, half octagon barrel, long receiver, historic. 

Additional note - there is also  marlin 1897 .22. (no pictures) Similar story, but does have more parts like bolt, lever. Will need a new magazine (because I don't think the inner and outer tubes can be separated), as well as wood. 

I will appreciate any feedback. 

Ozark Okie 

Cuz - 1893 1.jpg

Cuz - 1893 2.jpg

Cuz - 1893 3.jpg

Cuz - 1893 4.jpg

Cuz - 1893 5.jpg

Cuz - 1893 6.jpg

Just shooting from the hip,  I'd say it's road kill. 

If all there is is what's shown,  it's going to be expensive to replace the parts. Most parts are long obsolete.  Once you find parts, they most likely won't fit and work.  I have multiple early 1894s and just swapping parts between guns often won't work. 

I think your out of luck. There is a thread on the Marlin Owners Forum about a similar gun. The guy is getting parts made because the originals don't exist. Worth a shot though. Post over there and see what you can find out.

If you spend two or three years and several thousand dollars in parts and labor fitting the parts and wood you will wind up with a good solid $500.00 gun.  The original configuration looks like a half-round/half-octagon barrel with a button magazine.  That would be a good find if the gun were whole.  If it got hot enough to warp the barrel you have a nice wall hanger.  Make up a story to go with it.

OK, I think I've got it. Wall hanger.....maybe (with a great story).

Thank you all for your feedback...unfortunately confirms my suspicions. 

Sad to see these old guns go the way of all things. 

I will check with the Marlin Owners, but its pretty clear where this goes. 

OO

Been thinking about Warden's last post..."buy another gun and transfer parts.....", especially since I know of another Model 1893...its a 38-55 in decent shape. 

Does anyone know what parts from the 38 55  might be usable in a 32 40......would the bolt and lever work?  Doubt if the bolt could because of the difference in diameter, but Marlin bolts do seem to be something of a mystery. . Of course, I recognize that the 38 55 might be more desirable/valuable then the 32 40.....but just

wondering. 

Thanks again for all the interesting feedback. 

OO

Howdy OKIE.

It was good talking with you on the phone this morning.

I don't know the answer to your questions above......BUT, I do know some things to check out if you start swapping parts, particularly the

bolt of a different caliber, the carrier and the lever.

1.  Your extraction and/or ejection could change, maybe for the worse.   Marlin established 3 different hole locations for the Etractor in their

bolts.   This was done in reference to the caliber for the specific bolt.

2.  not all levers will interchange, even for the same type and caliber rifles.     I got two .32 H&R Marlin's and their levers won't work smoothly

if I swap em.    But a lever from one of my .45 Colt Marlins works great in one of my .32's.       Go figure.

3.  The bolt 'Locking Lug' on every Marlin establishes its head space.   They vary in slight dimensions and may not effect head space

in a bad way.    But, don't be surprised if your head space changes when you use different bolts with a different locking lug.

4.  Not all carriers are EASILY interchangeable.   Timing can also vary between the snail cam on the lever and the timing ramp on the carrier.

Another timing issue that could occur is the timing on the upward pivoting of the carrier.

This is also determined by the style of carrier in relationship to the flat area on the lever that is just forward of the snail cam.

If you start changing parts, it might be wise to do so ONE AT A TIME.    And maybe keep notes on what seems to work well

and what doesn't work as well.

Good luck if you proceed with your restoration.     If they were mine, I would put em on the wall and make up a war story that goes

well with them.

:D

..........Widder

Sir

were you to attempt to do the parts swap , I figure , you will take the thing to a fence post , little to NO chance of this working out well 

since . you have a line on a 38-55 , get it and enjoy , 

the 32-40 , being a fire victim is a total loss , from , what I see posted , put it on the wall with a tall tale 

Chickasaw Bill 

2 hours ago, Ozark Okie said:

Does anyone know what parts from the 38 55  might be usable in a 32 40......would the bolt and lever work?  Doubt if the bolt could because of the difference in diameter, but Marlin bolts do seem to be something of a mystery. . Of course, I recognize that the 38 55 might be more desirable/valuable then the 32 40.....but just

wondering. 

The 30-30, 38-55, 32 special,  32-40 are based on the same case family.  30-30.  A 30-30 would be much easier to find.

I have repaired to rebuild a number of early 1894s.  But I had a connection with an old retired gunsmith that loved Marlin rifles.  He had an extensive boneyard of Marlin parts guns and lots of parts. Even then, he didn't have common parts that wear, break or get lost - like extractors,  ejector, hammer springs, etc.  He has completely retired from gunsmithing and disposed of his inventory of parts.  

2 hours ago, Ozark Okie said:

Been thinking about Warden's last post..."buy another gun and transfer parts.....", especially since I know of another Model 1893...its a 38-55 in decent shape

wondering. 

Thanks again for all the interesting feedback. 

OO

I guess I am missing something.  Why would you take a .38-55 in decent shape and transfer the parts to a junker gun?  Then you wind up with two beaters.

50 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I guess I am missing something.  Why would you take a .38-55 in decent shape and transfer the parts to a junker gun?  Then you wind up with two beaters.

The best possible situation would be to find a compatible doaner that has been destroyed by cutting the receiver.  There are a number of companies that deal in gun "kits".  Finding a 1893 would be unlikely. 

https://everygunpart.com/long-guns-kits/rifles/lever-action.html

The only 1893 I have is this carbine in 38-55.  It was a derelict I pick up at a gun show 40+ years ago for $80-90.  It was 30-30 but I bought a 38-55 barrel from Numrich.  The buttstock was shattered.   I made a new buttstock and slimmed down a new forend.  

111767601_Marlin1893Jan2019.jpg.3bddada016ad009b9c65b5729568db13.jpg

Again, I appreciate the thoughtful feedback on my 32 40 questions. I recognize that this gun is a goner...I'll have to work on the story to go with it. Larsen, you didn't miss anything, as you and Chickasaw point out, it would not make sense to take parts off a decent gun and make two junkers. And, as Widder points out, not even seemingly same or similar parts will necessarily work. Thank you Widder for the detailed explanations of parts interchangeability, bolts, ejectors, levers, et al. 

Warden, a special note for you....you are the inspiration behind my even asking about the possibility of restoring this gun. I have seen and been inspired by past posts of resurrections you have done. Even this most recent photo of your Model 1893 38 55....a derelict you bought 40 years ago, now a very decent looking rifle....impressive. Thanks for showing it.  Those projects you have done are what made me wonder if there were any possibilities for this gun. I'll just hang on to it and keep my eyes open for a "derelict". 

Thank you all very much for all the additional things I've learned from these exchanges. 

OO

Archived