SASS Wire Forum

Gun recommendations for a light weight shooter

Johnny Knight

Greetings all,

Looking for suggestions for guns for my wife  She made it out to her first match yesterday and had a good time.  Even floated out the idea of giving the shooting a try, so of course, I'll take the chance to pick up a new gun or two, anything to help her out. :).

The challenge is she is on the dainty side with little wrist or arm strength, so my Vaqueros are a bit heavy for her.  I've seen where some folks have looked at the Ruger single six chambered in .32 H&R, but haven't had a chance to handle those to see how much lighter/smaller they are than a regular Vaquero.  I reload, so I have the option to load down to a comfortable level for her, so a bit of flexibility there.

So any suggestions for accommodating a lighter build shooter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

We have a set of Cimarron Lightnings in .38, Cimarron Model P Jr's in .32 and set of Stainless Single Sixes in .32. The Lightnings in 38 are the lightest in weight and 38's can be loaded way down. Both my wife  and my 12 yr old neighbor used them. Very nice to shoot and light recoil for smaller people.

Ruger made a special run of plow handle Single Sixes, 5 1/2" with aluminum grip frames. Top.

They are about 4 oz lighter than the standard 4 5/8" Birdshead steel grip frames.  Bottom.

Hard to find.

image.jpeg.a0f6f9b42c33112fa6af1a77bec6a5bb.jpeg

I have some insight to teaching women to shoot cas.

I did not have guns to loan as all mine are the original model vaqueros and are quite large frame.

Some women brought Bird head gripped revolvers.

What I noticed was the smaller statue women do not have a strong grip (as of yet) and as they shot the guns the gun would slowly rotate in there hands causing the following shots to walk up the target.

Going to "P" frame grips stopped the walk up on the targets.

So my suggestion is to try several different revolvers with "P" frames.

Some will recommend Bisleys.

This introduces another issues with gripping.

The hand holding the gun must have a square to the ground hold.

Take ruler or straight stick and have the shooter grip it and hold it out as if shooting.

Is the stick straight up and down or does the top of the stick lean towards the target?

If the stick leans at all towards the target at the top, a Bisley will not work for them because the natural angle of the grip is not straight up and down.

There are small framed "P" revolvers out there.

Try different makes to find the ones that works.

The small frame single six are good candidates but are hard to find, much less, two the same.

I think one of the biggest problems for new shooters is when someone tries to select caliber and configuration for a third party.   If at all possible, let her try different configurations and calibers an let her make the choices.  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Yusta, do you happen to know what model number the 5 1/2" barrel with the aluminum frames are by chance?  Trying to track down the various iterations of the gun that are out there to direct the search a bit more.

Regards

40 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Yusta, do you happen to know what model number the 5 1/2" barrel with the aluminum frames are by chance? 

Catalog # SSM-5F

Model # 06517

Thanks Yusta, trying to bring myself up to speed on the various models.  Already had a local club member (Cheyenne, Thunder River Renegades) very generously offer to let my wife shoot a single six he has to let her try it out.   Good folks all the way around!

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My choice for my wife was Single Sixes in .32 H&R.

Uberti Lightnings are pretty small and light too.

+1

I would add the Rossi 92 to the list to check out.

Johnny, did you get a chance to watch my wife Bullion Rose shooting rifle-power cartridges in my .357Mag Ruger NMVs yesterday?  She's quite petite too with tiny hands, but still prefers shooting them over the considerably smaller and lighter .22LR Uberti 1873 Stallions (with the 6-shot cylinders).  As long as your Mrs. is going to shoot traditional two-handed style and slip-hammer with the thumb of her off-hand, she doesn't need to reach the hammer with the thumb of her shooting hand.

My suggestion would be to skip the ultra light guns.  There is some physics involved.  I would start with Pietta built short barrel 38/357 with the Thunderer style grip set.  Fit the smaller hand nicely.  Easy to control.  Enough weight to soak up what little recoil a 38 generates with light bullets.

DO NOT teach the new shooter to "Slip-Hammer"

12Ga shotgun, CUT TO FIT, WW FL8 ammunition (Actually light). 

Kid Rich,

My understanding is that finding one of the Marlins in the 32 H&R is a pretty tough challenge, but I'll keep looking.

Deacon, I'll see if I can get her to try out a Rossi as well.

Hi Nostrum, thanks for the suggestion,

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to watch Bullion shoot.  The presumption atm is that my wife will be shooting two handed, but In handling my 45 NMV's the gun is heavier than is comfortable for her.  IIRC, the .357 NMV is actually an ounce or two heavier than the 45 (though with the different ammo weight it will be a smaller difference).  Part of that is that she hasn't shot much, so isn't as used to it, but the plan is to have her try a couple of different options and see which one works best for her.   As she works several weekends a month, it will be catch as catch can at the practices to let her get the chance to try a few, so it will be a process...

Regards

A different approach:

Even a very slow shooter only holds each pistol for 10-15 seconds.  A heavier revolver has less recoil.  So, go with 38s, and worry more about fit and mechanics than weight.  Adults can get stronger, but they are not likely to get bigger.  Changing grips will affect the perceived weight (too small or too large is hard to hold/control)  Hammer and trigger weight can make or break a shooter's enjoyment.

With 38s you have many more options, and you can more easily match the pistol and rifle calibers to make reloading easier.

I'm with fretless on the importance of recoil over weight.  Maybe let her try some lightweight heavier recoiling guns and she might have a different opinion on the weight. 

If you eschew my advice, then be prepared for the new guns to become YOUR new guns when your wife decides she likes your heavy old revolvers after all. 

Exactly why my petite wife shoots .357Mag ammo in the Ruger NMV 5.5" guns, plus it is the same ammo used in the Browning B-92 (so there's one less thing to keep straight at the loading table).  Their mass makes the recoil much easier to control, and she deals with their size with appropriate hand positioning.

Thanks all for the recommendations.  I'm working around her schedule, since she works at least a couple of weekends each month.  Ideally, she'll get to try out a variety to see which one fits best for her.  I can load down to whatever power works best for her.  Looks like I'll direct her to the local lady shooters, since I've haven't seen any posting here yet.

Johnny

On 12/7/2021 at 5:38 AM, Fretless said:

A different approach:

Even a very slow shooter only holds each pistol for 10-15 seconds.  A heavier revolver has less recoil.  So, go with 38s, and worry more about fit and mechanics than weight.  Adults can get stronger, but they are not likely to get bigger.  Changing grips will affect the perceived weight (too small or too large is hard to hold/control)  Hammer and trigger weight can make or break a shooter's enjoyment.

With 38s you have many more options, and you can more easily match the pistol and rifle calibers to make reloading easier.

Recoil can better be addressed by load and bullet weight selection, rather than saddling a small person with heavier guns.  She (not a stronger man) needs to be the judge of her desired pistol weight and size.  

My tiny frame 5'3" wife is shooting aluminum lower frame Single Sixes with 5-1/2" barrels in .32 H&R.  Her normal load is 78 gn over 2.3 gn of Titegroup.   Recoil is inconsequential to her, even in those light guns.   She has never had any problem dropping even large, heavy KD targets with that bullet weight and load but I do load 95 gn for her also, to carry on the cart, just in case targets are looking heavily adjusted.   

By contrast, she is unable to hold up my NMVs through a whole 10 round pistol string without dropping her arms to rest momentarily. 

As others have said above, let her try some different guns and loads and decide what SHE wants.   

I am personally NOT small framed...but, I did start noticing the weight of my guns were harder to shoot. 4 stages and I was spent.

I changed from NM Vaqueros to Stallion "p" s in .38 cal

A '73 carbine...a bit lighter, smaller.

Changed my stoger 12 ga sXs for a Charles Daily...wow, weight is soooo different. Recoil is same with bp loads, so may stick with that regardless for shotty loads.:wub:

Just an update for anyone interested.  Tracked down a Ruger Single Six with the XR3-Red frame (the one that is about 1/4" shorter) in 32 H&R.  Loaded up some 100 gr bullets with 2.4 gr of Titegroup and took the wife shooting.  The gun worked well for her, so now I'll smooth the it up with a bit of action work (It was stiff out of the box).  The plan is to try out some different grips to dial it in even a bit more for her, then track down a second pistol.  Now to move onto a rifle.  I've seen a number of folks want to pair the pistols with the Marlin 1894C in the 32 H&R, but that rifle appears mighty hard to come by....

Thanks again for the input everyone!

Johnny

I don't know that having everything in the same caliber is worth the money and effort to find a 32 H&R rifle, which I believe weighs about six pounds.  Shootin Sharyn has been shooting an 18 inch octagon barreled 1873 in .357, (7.7 lbs) with a set of Single Sixes in 32 H&R with no trouble. 

Other options would be an 1873 carbine, 7.5 lbs. or an 1873 rifle with an 18 inch half round half octagon barrel, 7.4 lbs. 

I almost forgot.  It's not just how much does the rifle weighs, it's where is the weight.  If your wife is using a rifle with the proper LOP and can get her off hand out close to or on the end cap, then a half round/half octagon rifle isn't going to put much weight out in front of that hand.

A Winchester or Rossi 92 with a 20" barrel in .38/.357 weighs about 6 pounds, very light and handy.

Thanks all,

Hopefully she'll get to try a few different ones at a local match to see which works best for her.  Since I've already got dies and some brass, then 38/357 would be easy enough to do.  Was just hoping to consolidate into one caliber for her if not too terribly inconvenient. 

Regards,

Johnny

I had a young gal (18 when she started) that went through several different guns (Colt, Ruger, Uberti, USFA) and settled on the Ruger Single Six .32 H&R mag birds head guns.  She was about 105 lbs soaken wet.  The guns were the same size as the Ruger .22's.  She also won a SASS Scholarship.  She even used them in a Indiana black powder only match.  

If you were close to Indianapolis she could barrow the pistols, holsters, Marlin .32 H&R rifle and if needed a double in 20 ga or 12 ga. and loaded ammo for all.  I would only want the brass returned so I could reload it again.

Thanks Pee Wee, that's a very generous offer.  I could provide the 32 H&R ammo, as I've already started loading some up for her to practice with the one single six we have so far.  Although I suspect we'll get up that way since our son moved up to Columbus IN, it won't be anytime too soon given the work schedules.

Johnny

Archived