SASS Wire Forum

Bees in our hot tub!!!

Cholla

We have lived in our home for two years and maintained a hot tub all that time. While we have had the occasional insect fall in the last two weeks have been crazy. (Keep in mind we have two wildlife watering stations not 50 feet from out hot tub.) The bees have suddenly gone crazy crawling in the cracks in the cover to get to the hot tub water. They were dying by the thousands! The water is treated with bromine and juiced up with chlorine several times a week so I don't understand why they want treated water vs the clean water not 50 feet away. I spoke with a bee keeper and he had no clue why they were choosing the hot tub vs the wildlife water. Surely they can smell/taste the difference. There were so many dead bees in it the water stank. I decided yesterday to drain the water out and vacuum every bee up. I think I sucked up a gallon or two of bee bodies. I am hoping that with no water in it they will move on. We have colder weather coming by next weekend so I hope that makes the hive go into hibernation long enough to purge the hot tub from their memory!

I hope this does the trick because after a long, physical day at work, I like 30-minutes of soaking under the stars.

Archived