SASS Wire Forum

Bazooka Charlie

DocWard

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When he said “by august of 1945” he lost credibility.

Clearly a goof, albeit one he should have caught in editing the video. Undoubtedly he meant 1944. It is pretty clear Carpenter existed and did the things described occurred and can be verified elsewhere.

An early example, (crude but effective) of air to ground missile warfare!

Unless I’m mistaken, some fighter aircraft were already armed with air to ground missiles.

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Unless I’m mistaken, some fighter aircraft were already armed with air to ground missiles.

The HVAR (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket) started seeing use in 1944, by what I have read.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

He was actually late in using rockets from an aircraft.  https://en.topwar.ru/48602-britanskie-i-amerikanskie-aviacionnye-reaktivnye-snaryady-vtoroy-mirovoy-voyny.html

His claim to fame is coming up with the field modifications to arm that slow, fragile, underpowered kite for an air to ground attack role.

I recall my uncle Doug, a tanker, in the RCRs, describing how terrifying a blue on blue attack was when some RAFT rocket firing Typhons attacked his tank platoon in WWII, so the practice has been around for a while.

In WW1 Allied fighters used rockets launched from their Biplanes against German balloons and Zeppelins.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

In WW1 Allied fighters used rockets launched from their Biplanes against German balloons and Zeppelins.

...... exploding rocket + hydrogen filled Zeppelin .... = ....... SPECTACULAR !!!

:blink:

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Spectacular to see the bag and struts flash and burn but hydrogen itself has a colorless flame.

........ even so, the baddies stop flying ..... right ?

On 12/5/2021 at 11:35 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... exploding rocket + hydrogen filled Zeppelin .... = ....... SPECTACULAR !!!

:blink:

Actually igniting the hydrogen in a Zeppelin was not easy to do. There was no Oxygen in the bags so no fire. The hydrogen that leaked out was blown away by the wind. After a lot of trial and error is was determined that strafing even with incendiary rounds was not very effective. However if the aircraft concentrated their fire on a single point the hydrogen and air would mix and create a flammable ratio that could be ignited.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

History of NAWS China Lake.

Archived