SASS Wire Forum

Why people still need gun ports in their doors and windows

Alpo

Reminds me.  One night our church had a special meeting and after dark we headed home.   We passed a high school baseball game .  A few hundred yards down the road, u saw a large, black animal in the other lane.  It turned toward my car and snarled its teeth at me.  It was a black panther.  As I passed it in my suburban loaded with my family and my mother, we were awestruck.   It then ran off , away from the game, but toward the elementary school and the houses behind it,  likely then the woods beyond them.  

39 minutes ago, Alpo said:

We see this type of things up at the Cabin...lion, bear, racoon, ect.

I think the only thing scary is that people will "run get my camera" and start recording these 'happenings'...instead of making whatever loud noises possible to run these preditors off. 

If you run enough off, they will learn and start avoiding our porches and doorways...and maybe live a while longer.

It might be the first in Los Angeles in 25 years, but less than 10 years ago two women were killed by cougars north of Rancho Cucamonga, and one was partially eaten.  That is about 35 miles from Los Angeles.  The big cats are still fairy common there.

Oe of our members, Red  Headed Stranger, had a wife who worked for the Pomona area animal shelter.  About fifteen year ago she was called out for a cougar on the J. C. Penney loading dock at the Montclair Plaza.  She tried to tranquilize it, but the police killed it before it could be captured

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It might be the first in Los Angeles in 25 years, but less than 10 years ago two women were killed by cougars north of Rancho Cucamonga, and one was partially eaten.  That is about 35 miles from Los Angeles.  The big cats are still fairy common there.

Oe of our members, Red  Headed Stranger, had a wife who worked for the Pomona area animal shelter.  About fifteen year ago she was called out for a cougar on the J. C. Penney loading dock at the Montclair Plaza.  She tried to tranquilize it, but the police killed it before it could be captured

Gavin Newsom cut his political teeth back in 1990 working on Prop 117, sponsored, as I recall, by his dad.

Prop 117 protected the [not!] "endangered" poor puma, catamount, mountain lion, cougar, painter, whatever...

Hell, those things were never endangered - but the population was monitored and managed by judicious hunting.

Here's a really interesting pre-election discussion of the proposition, the politics behind it, and projected impacts:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-05-29-sp-229-story.html

Walter E. (Howdy) Howard, Ph.D., professor emeritus of wildlife biology at UC Davis, suggests that the standard method of hunting lions--a sure, short-range, clean kill--is more humane than other forms of hunting and certainly more humane than what man is doing to mountain lions in his misguided attempts to protect them. Mountain lions, Howard says, are being loved to death.

“It’s not endangered, it’s not threatened,” he said. “It’s a bloody pest.”

Edna Maita, senior consultant for the Assembly Committee on Water, Parks and Wildlife, suggested that Prop. 117 is a “shortcut” to achieve a de facto endangered listing for mountain lions, without establishing scientific support.

Even Gerald Meral, director of the Planning and Conservation League that sponsored the measure, says: “The mountain lion’s not an endangered species. It is not threatened by extinction from hunting. We would never argue that.”

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

Archived