SASS Wire Forum

72 In a 55

Trigger Mike

My 16 year old son got his license this week.  I had delayed it a few months to slow him down.  He smarted off to me in the summer so I put it off as punishment,  then he was told to bring grandmas garbage in our 4 seater gator and he opted to hop onto his sisters polaris rzr 170 and fell and broke his hand and broke the one bone that doesn't heal.  That meant surgery.

That put him off even longer.  I was partially glad.  

He got his license Wednesday.   He drives a 2014 Ford f150 raptor.  Knowing he drove his UTV really fast, I had him install life 360 on his phone. 

His first day he did really well.  He kept close to the speed limit for the most part.  

The second day, life 360 sends me a message he made it to school and has top speed was 72.  His entire 8 mile trip is through 2 small towns and a short space in between near the hospital that let's you go 55.  The rest of the time it is 35 mph and 45.  

I texted him 72 mph is too fast and that "this is not the interstate ".  

He texted back that a tractor trailer was tailgating him and he had to speed up to give him space.   He insisted it was necessary when he got home.  I told him if a truck hits you, you get a new truck.  He said , and a new neck.  

He has done better since then.  Oddly enough the insurance for the raptor was the same as the 2016 single cab Silverado I traded for it.  

Always nail biting time when your kids get behind the wheel.

I still worry a bit when my son sets out, and he's 44!!

I sent him to drivers school when the time came.

Teenage boys and driving.  They are going to wreck whatever you give them.  It's going to happen.  It's a right of passage.  Just pray they survive it and eventually realize they aren't invincible.  Most of them survive their teenage years but it's hard on the parents.  

Buy them something disposable and pay extra for lots of liability insurance.:wacko:

My question to my daughter in that situation “If a truck is tailgating you why didn’t you find a way to let it pass?”

When my daughter was 16 we allowed her to get her license. Insurance was high, but we could afford it. I wasn’t going to thwart a dream of hers over money, like my dad did - he wouldn’t let me get a license because he didn’t want me to have any freedom. That’s another story for another time. 
Anyway, one day I overheard my daughter and her friends talking about how my daughter blew the doors off some guy with her Chevy truck just down the street from our house. 
I didn’t tell her I knew, but that evening I told her how much her insurance had added to the cost of our policy and that any tickets would price her insurance too high for us to afford and that she would need to make up the difference. 
I never heard stories like her blowing a guy’s doors off after that. 

I told both of mine that after their first ticket, they got to pay for the insurance or not drive.  The daughter was over 18 before she got her first one.  The son hasn't had one yet, and he's 30.  

On the other hand, I wrote tickets for  90 mph in a 35 school zone, attempting to elude and reckless driving ticket to a 16 year old on his way home from getting his license.  The judge took his license for a year.  

A teenager in a Raptor? Hmmm. ;)

Does that have the 6.2 liter V8 with 400 + horsepower?

Hmmm hmmm. :o

At 16 years old I would have loved to have all the horsepower I could get. 

4 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

My first car at 16 was a 69 Camaro. Was back in driving school before I was 17. Being the slow learner that I am, I now hold a doctorate from the Indiana School of Defensive Driving. I know of what I speak. Lol

38 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

$350/ tire replacement adds up with optional 4.10 gears.  

Archived