SASS Wire Forum

Question about an 1897 clone marked "Hartford" in stainless ot nickel plated

San Joaquin Shootist

It is probably the same as the TTN '97 (The TTN 1878 shotguns EMF imported also were marked Hartford).  Does it have a thick rubber recoil pad and screw-in choke?

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

It is probably the same as the TTN '97 (The TTN 1878 shotguns EMF imported also were marked Hartford).  Does it have a thick rubber recoil pad and screw-in choke?

Looks to be stainless. There are no screw in chokes and here is the back of the stock:

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

14 minutes ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

Looks to be stainless. There are no screw in chokes and here is the back of the stock:

Well, then, probably NOT the same as the TTN.  I'll bet it isn't stainless.  Lots of finishes can look like that.

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, then, probably NOT the same as the TTN.  I'll bet it isn't stainless.  Lots of finishes can look like that.

Thanks for the input. I will take PB's advice and call EMF tomorrow and see what they can tell me. I bought it so its mine now. At least in 10 days it will be:)

Try a magnet!!  It will stick to a carbon steel gun much better than it will to any stainless. It may not stick to stainless at all!

Here is the answer EMF kindly provided:

"When we sold that shotgun, it had a blued finish.  It was steel, not stainless steel.  Therefore, it is now either unfinished polished steel, or was nickel plated after-market.  It was imported from China, and sold to a FFL dealer in in San Jose, CA in December 2002.  Parts for that model are scarce to non-existent."

Once I pick it up from the FFL in 8 more days or so I will find out what I have. Hopefully the parts issue does not turn it in to a wall hanger:)

Thanks Pards for your input.

tried sending you a pm but not sure it went thru. if not shoot me an email at outlawgambler@gmail.com I have screws and parts for it

Several Lustrum ago (many) there were Stainless '97s imported.  I don't remember who the importer was.  To the best of my recollection, there were only 4 Stainless guns (perhaps 5).  Brought in as "prototype" and not regally production.  I knew a shooter from New York who had one to "wring out".  That is where the trail ends.  I don't remember the shooters alias.  He and his Mrs. were Ex-Pat Brits.  Really super fun people.

16 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Several Lustrum ago (many) there were Stainless '97s imported.  I don't remember who the importer was.  To the best of my recollection, there were only 4 Stainless guns (perhaps 5).  Brought in as "prototype" and not regally production.  I knew a shooter from New York who had one to "wring out".  That is where the trail ends.  I don't remember the shooters alias.  He and his Mrs. were Ex-Pat Brits.  Really super fun people.

I have one and will check it out for manufacture/importer. Made in China I know for sure, finish I don't think is anything but in the "white". I will post here when I get to the shop.

6 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

I have one and will check it out for manufacture/importer. Made in China I know for sure, finish I don't think is anything but in the "white". I will post here when I get to the shop.

This is why I said it was a hard chrome finish. 

https://classicoldwestarms.com/iac-cowboy-1897-in-brushed-hard-chrome-finish/

OLG 

Archived