SASS Wire Forum

RCBS stuck case tool

Hoss

Well, it finally happens. Had a 45-60 case stuck like chuck in the sizing die. I tried driving it out with a punch, no joy. Tried holding it with vice grips, using a wrench as a spacer, screwing down with lock ring. Nope. Bought a RCBS stuck case tool. It worked like a charm. I did have to use a cheater bar on the Allan wrench tool. The case was definitely stuck! I may never need it again, but it’s a good tool to have laying around! 

I drill out the primer pocket and tap it 1/4-20. Put a socket on it, run a bolt through it and tighten. Works well. A little penetrating oil helps too.

29 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I drill out the primer pocket and tap it 1/4-20. Put a socket on it, run a bolt through it and tighten. Works well. A little penetrating oil helps too.

I do the same, works great.

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Pretty much what the kit is. 

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

A little more case lube will stop this from happening.

Also cleaning the dies before each reloading session with alcohol and wire brush to get out old case lube that has hardened in the die.

The inside of the die was pretty cruddy. I generally use spray on case lube, never  had a problem. I did get a tin of imperial lube, I put a touch on every few shells along with the spray on lube. 

Imperial case lube (now owned by Redding)solves EVERY stuck case problem before it happens. The only lube to use when re-forming cases. Been using it for over 40 years. The only time I use a spray case lube is on 45 colt cases before loading them on the Dillon since it is fast and no lube is actually needed but it makes resizing them a bit easer.  

Archived